Why GA is Dying

Old July 28th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Why GA is Dying

Then you need a different job, start looking.

"Emily" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| You sound too nice to have your face smashed by some
thug,
| recheck your priorities. The point is anybody can
become a
| target at a time chosen by the attackers.
|
| Unfortunately, my priorities at this point are dictated by
my employer
| (as it should be). And that means too much traveling at
the moment to

Old July 28th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
newsgroups.comcast.net

Default POL Why GA is Dying

Like Chicago, for example. So I hear.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

In many localities, people who own nothing more than a 6'x3' plot of land
get to vote.

Some of them quite frequently.

--
Matt
---------------------

(In the 2004 election, 169 counties had higher vote TALLIES than they did
eligible voters. The same was true for the entire state of Maine. That's
what we need -- 110% voter turnout)

Old July 28th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
STARSHIP TROOPERS, Service equals Citizenship. You have all
the rights, except the right to vote unless your risked your
life.

There are other ways to serve a country besides military service.
You're honestly telling me your average 18 year old Army recruit is
remotely intelligent about politics? I don't think so. For that
matter, my brother's OCS class wasn't exactly full of political scholars
(or any other kind of scholar)

If I ruled the USA, voters would have to pass a test run by
a machine, identify certain people by their picture, pick
the correct answer to a few questions on the Constitution.
Which people you ask? Public figures from history; Lincoln,
Grant, Lee, Henry, Washington, Ike, Reagan, their current
Congressman and Senators, maybe some Supreme Court members.
What history? Random questions, anything, Civil War, WWI
and WWII, Mexican War 1 and 2, Bill of Rights, enough to
show they have some interest and are aware of the issues.

Good luck with that. Unfortunately, you can't legislate intelligence
(but it would make my life easier!)
Old July 28th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
Then you need a different job, start looking.

Are you *kidding*? I work for one of the best companies in the world.
No one's ever been jealous of my job until this one.
Old July 28th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

But this job expects you to die undefended because they
decided that you are either incompetent, dangerous or
stupid.

. ..

Old July 28th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Those may just be rentals.

"newsgroups.comcast.net" wrote in
message . ..

Old July 28th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

It was a book written by a good author, in response to the
actions of our POWs in Korea.

The point is that service at risk of life shows a level of
dedication. This is reflected by the path to citizenship
open to military volunteers.

Owning land is a means to display dedication to the society.
The founding fathers were in favor of unorganized militia
and were against standing armies. But service was
encouraged, even if it meant that a rich person might hire a
substitute for his service.

. ..

Old July 28th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Jim Macklin wrote:
But this job expects you to die undefended because they
decided that you are either incompetent, dangerous or
stupid.

It's not a company rule, it's the airport authority's rule. My
goodness, get over it.
Old July 28th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

Default OT rifle caliber (was Why GA is Dying)

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Jose wrote:
.30/06 is the rifle caliber.

Nope.
.30-'06

Yep, caliber and year, not a fraction.

Ok, what do the numbers mean? I've heard of a "thirty ought six"
referring to a gun, and think I know one of them (.30 inches?) refers to
the gauge (width of the bullet). What's the other?

The year, 1906.

Actually, the .30-06 was came out in 1903 -- hence, the 03-A3
Springfield. IIRC, it was adopted as a military standard round in 1906.
Old July 28th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Wrong, the 1903 Springfield rifle was adopted in 1903 along
with the 1903 ball ammo, that used a 220 grain round nose
bullet. Ballistic advancements resulted in the spitzer
pointed bullet being adopted in 1906.

The 1903A3 was a WWII substitute standard rifle made with
several modifications to speed production, including a two
groove instead of a four groove rifled barrel. The sights
were changed to a stamped steel aperture sight mounted on
the read receiver bridge. The production of M1 Garand
rifles was slow at the start of the war in 1939 [Europe] and
training and the Marine Corps made do with WWI stock on hand
and several companies contracted to make both the 1903A3
Springfield and M1 Garand rifles.

During WWI the British had Remington manufacture their new
design Pattern 14 Enfield rifle in caliber .303 British
[although it was first intended to be a .27 caliber rifle,
but the war caused the design change to allow use of
existing ammunition being used by the SMLE, a rifle used
until after the Korean war by the British and the colonies.
When the USA entered WWI, the Army contracted to have
Remington alter the P14 to shoot the .30/06 and adopted it
as the M1917.

The M1917 was the best bolt action battle rifle ever
designed. The Springfield was a target rifle and the Garand
was the best combat rifle of the 20th Century based on its
use in combat. The M14 is just a modified Garand.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support