ATC Handling of Low-Fuel American Flight

Old February 23rd 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default ATC Handling of Low-Fuel American Flight

http://www.kvue.com/sharedcontent/Vi...2817&catId=104
Old February 23rd 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Chambers

This was on my local news last night. I gotta wonder if the approach
controller told the local controller that there was an emergency
declared, it didn't appear on the video but my have been edited out.

Bottom line, the AA pilot owned the airport, he should have made a bee
line for 17 center and landed the plane. They were lucky that whatever
fuel issue they had didn't cause a disaster in the extra minutes flying
a pattern to the opposite runway.

I've had one emergency in my flying career and the tower we declared
with was great. Everyone got shooed out of the airspace or landed and
we owned the airport.. cleared to land any runway. They equipment was
waiting for us (which fortunately we didn't need) and other than giving
name/phone numbers that's the last we heard of it.

If you (any of you) have a serious doubt to the safe outcome of the
flight, don't be afraid to declare the emergency and do whatever it
takes to get yourself and your passengers safely on the ground.

Robert

Old February 23rd 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

On 2/23/2007 9:01 AM, Robert Chambers wrote the following:
I gotta wonder if the approach
controller told the local controller that there was an emergency
declared, it didn't appear on the video but my have been edited out.

and what was AA squawking? A 7700 should have made sure everyone knew.
Old February 23rd 07, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mitty wrote:

On 2/23/2007 9:01 AM, Robert Chambers wrote the following:

I gotta wonder if the approach controller told the local controller
that there was an emergency declared, it didn't appear on the video
but my have been edited out.

and what was AA squawking? A 7700 should have made sure everyone knew.

That would have gotten their attention, too.
Old February 23rd 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Chambers

Doesn't matter what he was squawking.. he was on a discrete squawk
anyway so they knew who he was. He declared an emergency, that's all it
takes to get anything you need to meet your situation.

Old February 23rd 07, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
. ..

Doesn't matter what he was squawking.. he was on a discrete squawk anyway
so they knew who he was. He declared an emergency, that's all it takes to
get anything you need to meet your situation.

Well, that's all it SHOULD have taken.

Old February 23rd 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mitty" wrote in message

and what was AA squawking? A 7700 should have made sure everyone knew.

No more so than declaring it via the radio.

Old February 23rd 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Steven P. McNicoll writes:

No more so than declaring it via the radio.

Actually, a radio declaration would make it more obvious, as only ATC sees
squawk codes, whereas everyone in the area hears radio transmissions.

Old February 24th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article , Mitty
wrote:

On 2/23/2007 9:01 AM, Robert Chambers wrote the following:
I gotta wonder if the approach
controller told the local controller that there was an emergency
declared, it didn't appear on the video but my have been edited out.

and what was AA squawking? A 7700 should have made sure everyone knew.

If you've already told the controller you have an emergency, squawking 7700
doesn't add anything to the situation. The 7700 stuff is for when you're
out of radio contact.
Old February 24th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mitty

On 2/23/2007 6:21 PM, Roy Smith wrote the following:

If you've already told the controller you have an emergency, squawking 7700
doesn't add anything to the situation. The 7700 stuff is for when you're
out of radio contact.

Au contraire. With a 7700 squawk then if the emergency situation wasn't
mentioned in the handoff (which it possibly wasn't) then the next controller
would still have known something was seriously wrong.

(Now possibly if AA had squawked 7700 he would have been asked to switch off
that code at some point, but we don't even know from the video whether he tried it.)