Sailplane equipment: transponder, transciver 8.33 kHz.

Old June 8th 10, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
asdowski

Default Sailplane equipment: transponder, transciver 8.33 kHz.

Hi.
I'm searching for the cheapest SSR transponder and transciver with
8.33 channel separation that could be mounted on a sailplane. I
actually don't know if this must be brand new, its just have to work
properly in Europe.

I've found some products of MicroAir but the price for new stuff is
quite big... Around 10 000$ for both.

Could group-mates tell me how much this equipment must cost, and meaby
some examples/models of stuff?

Sorry for my broken english. I hope You've got the point of this
message.

--
Greet,
asdowski

Lublin, Poland.
Old June 8th 10, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

I'm searching for the cheapest SSR transponder and transciver with
8.33 channel separation that could be mounted on a sailplane.

Mode S transponders cost in the range of about $2500 to $2700. There are
several manufactorers, all more or less in the same price range
(Garrecht, MicroAir, Funkwerk, Becker...). You need a level 2, class 1
transponder, be sure not to confuse level and class!

As far as I know, there's no need for a glider to have a 8.33kHz radio
anywhere in Europe. 25kHz radios cost in the range of around $1300 to $1700.

Of course prices may vary and depend on exchange rates.
Old June 8th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
asdowski

On 8 Cze, 21:30, John Smith wrote:
I'm searching for the cheapest SSR transponder and transciver with
8.33 channel separation that could be mounted on a sailplane.

Mode S transponders cost in the range of about $2500 to $2700. There are
several manufactorers, all more or less in the same price range
(Garrecht, MicroAir, Funkwerk, Becker...). You need a level 2, class 1
transponder, be sure not to confuse level and class!

As far as I know, there's no need for a glider to have a 8.33kHz radio
anywhere in Europe. 25kHz radios cost in the range of around $1300 to $1700.

Yes, but flying on the same attitude as airliners requires from
sailplane similar comm. properties.

So I guess... that 8.33kHz radios are in the range of 4-7k USD?

Any chance of buying working stuff from second-hand? Don't You know
any reliable firms/companies?

--
Greet,
asdowski
Old June 8th 10, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Yes, but flying on the same attitude as airliners requires from
sailplane similar comm. properties.

So I guess... that 8.33kHz radios are in the range of 4-7k USD?

I'm not convinced, I've been given pretty high clearances.

Anyway, prices seem to have come down. Funkwerk e.g. sells the ATR833
for 1700 Euros (ca. $2050): http://tinyurl.com/2wu78ps
Old June 9th 10, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 6/8/2010 12:30 PM, John Smith wrote:
I'm searching for the cheapest SSR transponder and transciver with
8.33 channel separation that could be mounted on a sailplane.

Mode S transponders cost in the range of about $2500 to $2700. There
are several manufactorers, all more or less in the same price range
(Garrecht, MicroAir, Funkwerk, Becker...). You need a level 2, class 1
transponder, be sure not to confuse level and class!

As far as I know, there's no need for a glider to have a 8.33kHz radio
anywhere in Europe. 25kHz radios cost in the range of around $1300 to
$1700.

Of course prices may vary and depend on exchange rates.

Be sure to look at the Trig TT21 Mode S transponder - more like $2000 -
and with some ADS-B out capability.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old June 9th 10, 09:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Eric Greenwell wrote:
(Garrecht, MicroAir, Funkwerk, Becker...). You need a level 2, class 1
transponder, be sure not to confuse level and class!

Be sure to look at the Trig TT21 Mode S transponder - more like $2000 -
and with some ADS-B out capability.

Again: Make sure the transponder is class 1! The TT21 is class 2.

BTW: Most transponders are "ADB ready". Whatever this means.
Old June 9th 10, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
asdowski

Ok, thanks for Your help.

--
Greet,
asdowski

Old June 9th 10, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Am 09.06.10 13:26, schrieb jcarlyle:
Be sure to look at the Trig TT21 Mode S transponder - more like $2000 -

The TT21 is class 2.

True, but you can get the Trig TT22 which is class 1.

And which, incidentally, seems to cost around $2400.
Old June 9th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Gasp - something that has more performance costs more? Who could have
guessed? Anyway, it's still below the range of $2500 to $2700 that you
quoted above...