Schleicher directional air vents

Old June 9th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default Schleicher directional air vents

Hi, All,

my ASW-19 has three different air vents in the cockpit -- one in the
nose that's controlled
by a handle above the instrument panel, plus two holes in the
sidewalls. The nose vent
can get more or less closed, but there isn't any way to control the
side vents. It occurs to
me that there should be an adjustable directional vent in those side
holes -- it's been a long
time since I've flown a K-21, but it had those nice things that could
direct air up along your
canopy.

Is that what should be in my plane? If so, I have no idea what
happened to my original vents.
Is there something else that people use?

Thanks,
-- Matt
Old June 9th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

My ASW-19 had two metal airliner type of vents, which swiveled and had
provision to control the airflow. I remember seeing plastic vents like
these for sale within the last few years, but I can't remember where.

-john

Old June 9th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jun 9, 8:31*am, mattm wrote:
Hi, All,

my ASW-19 has three different air vents in the cockpit -- one in the
nose that's controlled
by a handle above the instrument panel, plus two holes in the
sidewalls. *

It sound like your glider is modified from the original
configuration. As built, the air intakes are under each wing. The
air goes though the fuselage canopy frame rails to the nose vent.
There are no vent holes in the side rails. (based on 19356)

I accepted that the ventilation in my 19b was poor and often flew with
canopy sliding window scoop open which was noisy. After flying my 28
for several years I have come to appreciate the much better vents and
only ever use the sliding window scoop during the first part of the
tow. (Arizona 110 deg F plus).

If I had a 19 again I'd try to fit an adjustable/closable swivel ball
vent in one or both side rails. The 28 ball vent works well but there
are probably similar vents available.

The side rails are structural so be careful about any mods.

Andy

Old June 9th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Jun 9, 8:42*am, jcarlyle wrote:
My ASW-19 had two metal airliner type of vents, which swiveled and had
provision to control the airflow. I remember seeing plastic vents like
these for sale within the last few years, but I can't remember where.

They're called eyeball vents. Buy new plastic ones from wherever
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ticeyeball.php
(every aircraft supplier has them..) for now, but then shop ebay for
real ones (may take a while to come up in the size/style you want...)
to replace them ASAP. On ebay you can pay plastic prices ($15-$30
apiece) for nice aluminum vents (normally $160+ apiece!).

Some glider suppliers have the plastic ones too. Biggest difference is
that the plastics basically have to be run full-on or off and quickly
lose that ability as plastic parts wear, as opposed to the metal ones
which have infinite flow adjustability via a slick little twist-
activated internal damper.

-Paul

PS. I'm working on a Mandl exhaust vent hatch for ASW-20's and 19's
and should have them available next month although cockpit airflow
doesn't sound like a pressing concern for you...
Old June 9th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Jun 9, 11:31*am, mattm wrote:
Hi, All,

my ASW-19 has three different air vents in the cockpit -- one in the
nose that's controlled
by a handle above the instrument panel, plus two holes in the
sidewalls. *The nose vent
can get more or less closed, but there isn't any way to control the
side vents. *It occurs to
me that there should be an adjustable directional vent in those side
holes -- it's been a long
time since I've flown a K-21, but it had those nice things that could
direct air up along your
canopy.

Is that what should be in my plane? *If so, I have no idea what
happened to my original vents.
Is there something else that people use?

Thanks,
-- Matt

Any vents in the rails are aftermarket additions.

One good source for quality eyeball vents: http://www.steinair.com/eyeballvents.htm

If you are motivated enough, one of these could be glassed into the
plenum on either side of the cockpit. It would look very much like
the modern Schleicher setup.

-T8
Old June 9th 10, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

While you're waiting for the vents from wherever you find them, go
to the hardware store and buy two rubber stoppers for the existing
vents (which I'm assuming are 1/2" PVC elbows, seemingly the usual 19
or 20 mod).
The emergency decompression system on Spaceship One was no more high
tech than a stopper on a string.
Jim
Old June 9th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

* While you're waiting for the vents from wherever you find them, go
to the hardware store and buy two rubber stoppers for the existing
vents (which I'm assuming are 1/2" PVC elbows, seemingly the usual 19
or 20 mod).
* The emergency decompression system on Spaceship One was no more high
tech than a stopper on a string.

Son, Rube Goldberg is dissapoint...

Old June 9th 10, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Jun 9, 11:48*am, Andy wrote:
On Jun 9, 8:31*am, mattm wrote:

[...]

OK, now I see where this came about. The plane originally lived
in Florida, so the owner didn't mind the hurricane whirling around
the cockpit in the heat. My first good flight this year was in
February, and the cloudbase was around 6000', so it got really
cold in there!

The vents in the links mostly look like they're too big to fit on the
rails. The holes are about 1" diameter, and there's not a lot of
room around them to attach a flange. I suppose I could cut one
down enough to fit. Hmmmm......
Old June 9th 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Jun 9, 1:42*pm, mattm wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:48*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 9, 8:31*am, mattm wrote:

[...]

You're right... but that's not what I had in mind. Go look at an
ASW-24 or newer. It would be a good Winter project.
Old June 10th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 9, 1:42*pm, mattm wrote:
On Jun 9, 11:48*am, Andy wrote:

On Jun 9, 8:31*am, mattm wrote:

[...]

down enough to fit. *Hmmmm......- Hide quoted text -

If they are the typical PVC tubing mod, just go to plumbing supply and
buy 2 caps and 2 45 degree elbow.
Then you can do kisser, crotch, pits, or nothing quite easily.
Not elegant, buy works pretty well.
UH