USAF(?) unit patch ID

Old April 15th 04, 01:14 PM
ArVa

"BUFDRVR" a écrit dans le message de
2nd Bomb wing has two Flor de Leis (spelling...help...) and at least one

other

"Fleurs de lys"

ArVa

Old April 15th 04, 02:22 PM
BUFDRVR

2nd Bomb wing has two Flor de Leis (spelling...help...) and at least one
other

"Fleurs de lys"

Thank you.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old April 15th 04, 07:20 PM
BUFDRVR

Quibble: the authorized 2nd Bomb Wing symbol has only ONE
fleur-de-lys.

Hmmm, I can't find one at the moment, and I stopped wearing one after
graduating from Weapons School in DEC 00, but I thought there were two???

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old April 15th 04, 09:44 PM
Tex Houston

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Quibble: the authorized 2nd Bomb Wing symbol has only ONE
fleur-de-lys.

Hmmm, I can't find one at the moment, and I stopped wearing one after
graduating from Weapons School in DEC 00, but I thought there were two???

BUFDRVR

"Stay on the bomb run boys, I'm gonna get those bomb doors open if it

harelips
everyone on Bear Creek"

http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroo...ges/0002bw.php

Tex

Old April 15th 04, 10:49 PM
Dweezil Dwarftosser

Tex Houston wrote:

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Quibble: the authorized 2nd Bomb Wing symbol has only ONE
fleur-de-lys.

Hmmm, I can't find one at the moment, and I stopped wearing one after
graduating from Weapons School in DEC 00, but I thought there were two???

http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroo...ges/0002bw.php

It seems like the AF emblem (re)designers are changing a
lot of stuff that's been around, unchanged for for almost
90 years.
The 43rd TFS, for example, my first real squadron out of
tech school. Ops had old photos on the walls of WW I
planes sporting almost exactly the same design I wore.
(Almost exactly, because the squadron designation had
changed over the years: Pursuit/Tactical Fighter/just
plain Fighter...)
The only thing the current 43rd emblem has in common with
history is that it includes a (skinnier) bumblebee wearing
boxing gloves. The emblem outline is today some avant-garde
lazy "S" shape.
Old April 15th 04, 10:55 PM
BUFDRVR

http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroo...ges/0002bw.php

Tex

Thanks Tex. Now the big question. How in God's name do you wear something on
your left sleeve 5-6 days a week for 4+ years and find yourself unable to
accurately describe it?

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old April 16th 04, 03:31 AM
Andrew Chaplin

BUFDRVR wrote:

Even units whose history began in France may display their motto in Latin. The
2nd Bomb Wings origins begin in France, yet both its patches had the motto in
Latin. Morto et Destructo - a very cool yet un-PC Death and Destruction and
Liberatus Defensmus (not sure about spelling there) - Defenders of
Liberty(boring!).

That should be something along the lines of "Libertas Defensores" for
the latter. "Death and Destruction" would be "Mors et Eversio".
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old April 16th 04, 10:52 AM
B2431

From: (BUFDRVR)
Date: 4/15/2004 4:55 PM Central Daylight Time
http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/wwwroo...ges/0002bw.php

Tex

Thanks Tex. Now the big question. How in God's name do you wear something on
your left sleeve 5-6 days a week for 4+ years and find yourself unable to
accurately describe it?

BUFDRVR

Simple, you tend to tune it out after awhile and most people simply don't
notice. I used to wear a TAC patch with the sword in the wrong direction and no
one noticed. Right now I couldn't tell you which way its supposed to go without
looking it up.

There were several unauthorized SAC patches that were popular: mailed fist
making the one finger salute, holding a scrotum, marijuana leaves etc. I think
I may have seen one where "Strategic Air Command" was replaced by "SACumsized."

Over seas flight crew name tags were quite creative. I knew a Capt. Tomato at
Hahn AB whose name tag read "Rotten" where his name should have been, and that
was one of the few clean ones.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old April 16th 04, 12:31 PM
BUFDRVR

That should be something along the lines of "Libertas Defensores" for
the latter.

Actually the exact phrase on the patch is "Libertatem Defendimus" according to
the web site Tex put up, its means "Liberty We Defend".

"Death and Destruction" would be "Mors et Eversio".

The original patch said "Mors et Destructio" which sounds like Death and
Destruction to me, but as you can see, I'm not Latin expert.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

Oil Temperature sending unit Corky Scott Home Built 2 October 19th 04 12:58 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
D.C. Air Guard Unit Flies New 737s Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 14th 04 11:12 PM
A-4 / A-7 Question Tank Fixer Military Aviation 135 October 25th 03 03:59 AM
Chevy 4.3 L V-6 and Misbehaving Engine Control Unit Bushy Home Built 6 August 18th 03 09:33 AM