Missing flight plans

Old August 4th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Default Missing flight plans

B A R R Y wrote:
On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:48:10 GMT, A Lieberma
wrote:

With VFR flight following, it
is on a work load basis, and if I was upstairs for a couple of hours, I
want to be assured that I don't get dropped from the system.

Just on this one point, have you ever been denied VFR flight
following?

The controllers I've met have told me that they LIKE it when we're
talking to them.

Thanks!

I've been denied flight following on a number of occasions. I do keep an
appropriate ATC frequency in the radio most of the time even if I am not
getting flight following. I also keep 121.5 on comm 2 at all times. I
was quite impressed with the the response we heard when the cub called
MayDay over the lake on the way back from OSH. The controllers had him
on the scope in seconds and assured him they had him. The response from
ATC rescued the passenger although it was too late for the pilot, rest
his soul.

Margy
Old August 4th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma

B A R R Y wrote in

Just on this one point, have you ever been denied VFR flight
following?

The controllers I've met have told me that they LIKE it when we're
talking to them.

Never by approach controllers, but on centers, yes. The very flight I
diverted, I had flight following, and the airport I was going to, the
weather forecast was a bust from 4500 broken forecast to 800 solid overcast
which obviously made me divert to another airport VFR. So center was busy
with IFR traffic while I was dumb and happy VFR over the top enroute.

It was suppose to break up before I got there, and instead of breaking up,
it worsen, so here I was stuck VFR over the top.

I picked up an approach controller closer to my destination and requested
assistance on finding a VFR airport which they were gracious enough to do.

Allen
Old August 5th 06, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Mark Hansen wrote:

Yes, if the loss of comm or radar was unexpected.

Can you provide a reference to the regulation that explains this? It is
not what I was taught - and I'm always willing to learn ;-)

It's not an FAR. As a controller I'm not bound by those. It's in the
7110.65 That's the rules for controllers.
Old August 5th 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Mark Hansen wrote:

Just to clarify, what I mean is can you show the regulation which states
that ATC is required to begin search and rescue operations if they lose
radio contact with an airplane that was on flight following.

Absolutely. Knock yourself out.

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/ATC/index.htm
Old August 5th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Michelle" wrote:

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has such a
higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the highest rates
among their pilot brethren.

A flight plan on file will reduce accidents? Please explain.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old August 5th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jim Logajan

Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,
"Michelle" wrote:

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has
such a higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the
highest rates among their pilot brethren.

A flight plan on file will reduce accidents? Please explain.

Perhaps it's an issue colloquially known as "mindset?" Not saying that's
the argument being attempted, but I could see the idea being somewhat
plausible.
Old August 5th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Wizard of Draws[_1_]

On 8/4/06 10:14 AM, in article ,
"Michelle" wrote:

Yes I was, although I'll admit I file IFR for every flight nowadays.
Why do you ask?

Let me answer your question with another question: why do you file all the
time (why only IFR) now and not then?

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has such a
higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the highest rates
among their pilot brethren.

Michelle

That day was CAVU and I wanted the option of going where I pleased.
Additionally, I wasn't instrument rated at the time. But now, since I spent
all that money on the rating, I want to get my money's worth. I'm looking
for clouds now. In fact, I want to fly through them as much as possible and
get annoyed when it's CAVU and I'm flying. Plus, I need as much practice
working within the system as possible to stay safe.

I'm not sure how a flight plan would have prevented an accident. Can you
explain your reasoning behind that conclusion?

How does filing a flight plan equate to professionalism?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old August 5th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Emily[_1_]

Wizard of Draws wrote:
snip

I'm not sure how a flight plan would have prevented an accident. Can you
explain your reasoning behind that conclusion?

I'm not sure about preventing an accident, but since I rarely have
anyone that knows or cares where I am, I like to let flight service know
what my plans are.

Of course, now I just file IFR...but before that, I usually did file
VFR. I didn't want to crash/land somewhere and have no one miss me
until I starved or froze to death.
Old August 5th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mark Hansen

On 08/04/06 16:33, Newps wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote:

Just to clarify, what I mean is can you show the regulation which states
that ATC is required to begin search and rescue operations if they lose
radio contact with an airplane that was on flight following.

Absolutely. Knock yourself out.

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/ATC/index.htm

So, you're answer is "no". Got it. Thanks,

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old August 5th 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Anno v. Heimburg

Mark Hansen wrote:
So, you're answer is "no". Got it. Thanks,

Actually, had you invested 5 minutes, you would have found:

"10-2-5. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS
Consider that an aircraft emergency exists and inform the RCC or ARTCC and
alert the appropriate DF facility when:
[...]
b. There is unexpected loss of radar contact and radio communications with
any IFR or VFR aircraft.
[..]"

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/ATC/Chp10/atc1002.html#10-2-5

Anno.