Missing flight plans

Old August 15th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Missing flight plans

"Michelle" wrote in message

"Peter R." wrote in message
Michelle wrote:

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has such
higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the highest
rates
among their pilot brethren.

Just to clarify, in your opinion, not filing a VFR flight plan is
"unprofessional?"

"Yes", I think so...amongst other behavioral patterns.

Michelle

I was about to answer your question that you asked above Michelle but you
did it yourself.

Your statement was.. No VFR Flight Plan=Unprofessional=Higher accident rate

Please explain now how the failure to file a VFR flight plan causes
accidents.

Old August 15th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Michelle wrote:
"Yes", I think so...amongst other behavioral patterns.

Me too. But I wouldn't have been gutsy enough to say so.It's usually one
area person slacks of in after he has started to slack of on other
areas, but can justify it somehow. The pilot often thinks a spouse or
other person will know exactly what to do if they are overdue. And
somehow magically know when they are overdue.

Old August 15th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Michelle wrote:
"Yes", I think so...amongst other behavioral patterns.

Me too. But I wouldn't have been gutsy enough to say so.It's usually one
area person slacks of in after he has started to slack of on other areas,
but can justify it somehow. The pilot often thinks a spouse or other
person will know exactly what to do if they are overdue. And somehow
magically know when they are overdue.

And do you have some data to back this up?

Old August 15th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Michelle Settle

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATcox.net wrote in message

"Michelle" wrote in message

"Peter R." wrote in message
Michelle wrote:

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think
unprofessional conduct by pilots is a big part of the reason GA has
such a
higher accident rate than cars, and private pilots have the highest
rates
among their pilot brethren.

Just to clarify, in your opinion, not filing a VFR flight plan is
"unprofessional?"

"Yes", I think so...amongst other behavioral patterns.

Michelle

I was about to answer your question that you asked above Michelle but you
did it yourself.

Your statement was.. No VFR Flight Plan=Unprofessional=Higher accident
rate

Please explain now how the failure to file a VFR flight plan causes
accidents.

Please explain where I made the statement you attribute to me.

Do you have the slightest grasp of what "professionalism" connotes?

Michelle

Old August 15th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Michelle Settle

Michelle wrote:
"Yes", I think so...amongst other behavioral patterns.

Me too. But I wouldn't have been gutsy enough to say so.It's usually one
area person slacks of in after he has started to slack of on other areas,
but can justify it somehow. The pilot often thinks a spouse or other
person will know exactly what to do if they are overdue. And somehow
magically know when they are overdue.

Not even the notification aspects, but the entire approach (no pun intended)
to flying in general.

Have a look at the GA accident stats contrasting pro's and amateurs. Then
realize that flying like a pro is much more than getting paid for flying.

Oh, well; the gene pool continues to get skimmed.

Michelle

Old August 15th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

And do you have some data to back this up?

As much as you do to refute it.

It is based on my personal observations. And the people I refer to
really don't know much of what they are screwing up.

I see people worried because someone is thought to be over-due and they
know he doesn't have a flight plan. (grow up, don't leave that kind of
burden hanging around for your wife or friends, leaving them wondering
and unsure.)

You wanted to lure Michelle into the argument that, no flight plan
causes accidents, but that is a joke.

What is in-escapable is the correlation between the two.

And the correlation between flight planning and fewer accidents.

Why?

Complete flight planning is one of the earmarks of a conscientious
pilot. And conscientious pilots are generally going to be safer in their
flying and more likely to keep honing or truly maintaining their skills,
rather than thinking idle flying makes them a good pilot. That's just
how it is.

I have met many an ego, err I mean "eagle" who is very weak at flight
planning. Could barely even file a flight plan as it has been 10 plus
years. Weather, nope. So they use the weather channel or phone the
destination. I see some of them land hot, porpoise and smoke the brakes.
They know how to get flight following and talking to atc makes them
think they are good pilots. I see them cut others off, and it is okay to
them because they have been doing it for years. But they really do enjoy
the ride.

They mean well and in their mind they are working hard at it, so feel
they must be good at it. It is easy to give yourself good marks.
Especially when you are in an environment where there is no real
yardstick beside you.

Sure it is possible to be an excellent pilot and choose to not to file a
flight plan or itinerary. But that is pretty irresponsible, so I
withdraw the use of the word excellent.

There is never 'one' cockroach.

Old August 15th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Michelle Settle

Michelle wrote:
"Yes", I think so...amongst other behavioral patterns.

Me too. But I wouldn't have been gutsy enough to say so.It's usually one
area person slacks of in after he has started to slack of on other areas,
but can justify it somehow. The pilot often thinks a spouse or other
person will know exactly what to do if they are overdue. And somehow
magically know when they are overdue.

And do you have some data to back this up?

Aside from he's using the same misbegotten context you are (i.e., the
professional approach versus the amateur).

Small wonder lower level GA flying is so much more dangerous that other
forms of transport.

Old August 15th 06, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Michelle Settle

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

And do you have some data to back this up?

As much as you do to refute it.

It is based on my personal observations. And the people I refer to really
don't know much of what they are screwing up.

I see people worried because someone is thought to be over-due and they
know he doesn't have a flight plan. (grow up, don't leave that kind of
burden hanging around for your wife or friends, leaving them wondering and
unsure.)

You wanted to lure Michelle into the argument that, no flight plan causes
accidents, but that is a joke.

What is in-escapable is the correlation between the two.

And the correlation between flight planning and fewer accidents.

Why?

FINALLY SOMEONE GET'S IT WITHOUT HAVING THEIR HAND HELD!!

[...]

FINALLY!

Old August 15th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

"Michelle" wrote in message

"Peter R." wrote in message
Michelle wrote:

[...]

I doubt the underlining will work but here you go.

As to your question, it just seems so "unprofessional" and I think

-------------------------

--------------

------------------

Old August 15th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601XL Builder

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

[...]

Filing a flight plan and planning a flight are two different things. A VFR
flight plan is little more than a 'Come find the body request'. While you
make an excellent argument for that I have better ways of letting my wife
know I'm late than having the FSS call her and ask her if I'm home. In fact,
I've had them call when I had changed a flight plan and I can guarantee that
that scared the little women more than any other thing to do with my flying
ever has.