Pitch vs. trim in flight phases

Old May 20th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Pitch vs. trim in flight phases

gatt writes:

I don't either. That's like saying I don't fly to feel the carb heat or
landing gear switches, or to use checklists.

Some people clearly fly for the physical sensations.

That has nothing to do with it anything, and you're not qualified to
suggest to pilots what's what about flying because you have no
experience in it, anymore than I have combat experience because I played
Battlefield 1942.

I hope that your intense desire to contradict me doesn't turn you into an NTSB
statistic one day.
Old May 20th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

gatt writes:

We're telling you, as the FAA and other sources tell you, that
they're important.

Not under IFR.

We're also telling you that they're reliable.

Not under IFR.

Pilots don't enjoy severe turbulence or wing icing, but these too are
realities of aviation.

VFR pilots are often very much into the sensations of flying. If they
cannot tear themselves away from that, they should stay VFR and never
attempt IFR in IMC.

I'm an airline pilot and I stil use them. We all do, fjukktard.

Bertie
Old May 20th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

gatt writes:

I don't either. That's like saying I don't fly to feel the carb heat
or landing gear switches, or to use checklists.

Some people clearly fly for the physical sensations.

You don;t fly at all, moron.

Bertie

Old May 20th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_3_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
gatt writes:

We're telling you, as the FAA and other sources tell you, that they're
important.

Not under IFR.

Sorry. You're not authoritative, you cite no sources, and you have no
experience or demonstrated proficiency. Your opinion on the matter is
empty.

Next...

-c
Old May 20th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_3_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
gatt writes:

I hope that your intense desire to contradict me doesn't turn you into an NTSB
statistic one day.

LOL! What kind of ego must you have that you'd think somebody
contradicting you would cause them to be an NTSB statistic?

I'm not interested in what you "hope." You still haven't cited any
authoritative sources for any of your opinions and, as a system
administrator I can tell you, only a fool would believe something just
because Microsoft says it's so.

-c

Old May 20th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

gatt writes:

LOL! What kind of ego must you have that you'd think somebody
contradicting you would cause them to be an NTSB statistic?

It doesn't require any ego. I've read the literature and I know what it says.
I don't make this up.

I'm not interested in what you "hope."

You wouldn't be, if you fit the profile I have in mind.

It reminds me of some CRM studies I've read, in which it has been shown that
some people would rather die than give up an opinion or risk rejection from a
group.
Old May 20th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:

It reminds me of some CRM studies I've read, in which it has been shown that
some people would rather die than give up an opinion or...

Hmmm.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 27th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

On May 16, 1:49 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

I was ok with the location of the trim wheel, but the adjustment
was too coarse for me, but I could be a bitchy sissy.
My wheel was graduated, with a zero mark and did not quite
give the fine adjustment I wanted. That could be cables out
to the tail, I should have learned the mechanism!

Nothing to do with the cables. Cessna's trim is anything but
sensitive, having four or five full turns of the wheel for the trim
range. Try a Citabria sometime, where the trim is a lever that moves
about eight or ten inches for the full range. Much more twitchy.

As far as others have asked about sim trim, the good,
commercial training sims (Level II) have a pitch control mechanism
centered by some strong springs that supposedly simulate elevator
pressures. The anchor points for those springs are movable, and those
are what the trim mechanism moves. So in slow flight the yoke is well
back, against the springs, so that the trim moves the spring anchors
back until the pressure disappears. The yoke does not move and the
pilot, if he's "flying" right, doesn't let it move. He just trims off
the pressure. Mx's stick, on the other hand, trims electronically so
that he has to gradually center the stick to keep the nose where it's
supposed to be. Not realistic at all. And the springs in those cheap
things are so feeble as to be a joke. Flying the real airplane is much
more work. If you had realistic spring forces you'd have to bolt the
stick to the desk and anchor the chair to the floor.
I built our own procedures sim here. Proper frame welded up,
proper adjustable seat, huge monitor, real rudder pedals with
realistic spring feel, real stick with a heavy non-discrete center
spring and an adjustable anchor to simulate a reaslistic trim. Real
steel throttle/prop/mixture quadrant. Robbed the electronics out of
the CH stick and pedals to drive it.
But still, it's used only as a procedures trainer, not for teaching
how to fly. The students use it for free to practice what they learned
on our certified Elite sim or in the air under the hood. It's much
more work to fly it, thanks to the big springs I put in it. I need to
redesign the mechanical trim to get more travel, though.
Underestimated the degree of elevator movement between high cruise and
slow flight.
And it has a collective for helicopter flight.

Dan