STAR's and SID's

Old January 13th 04, 03:13 AM
Dan Luke

"Martin Kosina" wrote:
I bet if you divided the "I always get a STAR" and "I never
got one" responses, you might find one of the differences
is in the typical enroute altitudes flown...

In my case, I've been 10,000 every time. Here's how it would happen:
I'd file direct from BFM to EYQ in Houston. About halfway across
Beaumont, TX's airspace, I'd get an amended clearane to my destination
via direct Sabine, Trinity 1 arrival. It got to be so predictable that I
would file direct Sabine, direct EYQ because I knew I'd be going via
Sabine anyway.

When I started going to HOU instead of EYQ, I could file the whole STAR
because HOU is on the STAR plate (EYQ isn't). That worked a couple of
times, but the last two times they amended that. No more STAR, now, just
pieces of it.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 13th 04, 03:20 AM
Dan Luke

"Ryan Ferguson" wrote:
The hardest part is sometimes the ground taxi at certain
large airports. I find that to be more stressful than the flight.

Amen, especially at night. I got so turned around one night in Tulsa, I
thought they'd have to send the truck for me. Not DFW, Tulsa!

Have an airport diagram ready and do not hesitate to ask
for clarification if there is any confusion whatsoever.

Truth.

Old January 13th 04, 01:59 PM
Dave Butler

Dan Luke wrote:
"Ryan Ferguson" wrote:
The hardest part is sometimes the ground taxi at certain

large airports. I find that to be more stressful than the flight.

Amen, especially at night. I got so turned around one night in Tulsa, I
thought they'd have to send the truck for me. Not DFW, Tulsa!

Have an airport diagram ready and do not hesitate to ask
for clarification if there is any confusion whatsoever.

Truth.

Yea verily! Not wanting to hijack the thread for a discussion of night taxiing,
but I think it is the hardest thing I do in flying. It doesn't have to be a big
airport, just one where you are unfamiliar. From my cockpit height, sometimes I
just see a sea of blue lights. Where the heck is the taxiway? Thank goodness for
those yellow lines. It's enough to make me want to invest in one of those boom
beams.

OK, back to lurking. You just hit one of my hot-buttons.

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old January 13th 04, 02:04 PM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 08:59:55 -0500, Dave Butler
wrote:

Yea verily! Not wanting to hijack the thread for a discussion of night taxiing,
but I think it is the hardest thing I do in flying. It doesn't have to be a big
airport, just one where you are unfamiliar. From my cockpit height, sometimes I
just see a sea of blue lights. Where the heck is the taxiway? Thank goodness for
those yellow lines. It's enough to make me want to invest in one of those boom
beams.

I have 3 headlights on my PA28-180 (tips and nose), and it helps, but
is still difficult to taxi at night, so I don't know if a boom beam
would be much better. I am convinced it is the angle of viewing from
a GA cockpit that makes the task difficult.

-Nathan