Liberals Ignore The Wright Brothers

Old December 10th 03, 06:44 PM
Wdtabor

Default Liberals Ignore The Wright Brothers

One of the greatest inventions of the 20th century -- indeed, one of the
landmark inventions in the history of the human race -- was the work of a
couple of young men who had never gone to college and were just a couple of
bicycle mechanics in Dayton, Ohio

This annoys me, the Wright's were not bicycle mechanics who blundered into
flight by persistence, they were true scientists and self taught engineers who
supported their research by selling and repariing bicycles.

That is not the same thing and they should not be dismissed as mere mechanics.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old December 10th 03, 07:17 PM
Andrew Gideon

Wdtabor wrote:

One of the greatest inventions of the 20th century -- indeed, one of the
landmark inventions in the history of the human race -- was the work of a
couple of young men who had never gone to college and were just a couple
of bicycle mechanics in Dayton, Ohio

This annoys me, the Wright's were not bicycle mechanics who blundered into
flight by persistence, they were true scientists and self taught engineers
who supported their research by selling and repariing bicycles.

That is not the same thing and they should not be dismissed as mere
mechanics.

He wanted to stress the "humbleness" of the Wrights (ie. "never gone to
college") but was then forced to ignore their excellence by that agenda.

While I - of course - knew of the Wrights, I've been reading a lot about the
process through which they went over the past year (thanks to publications
like "Pilot"). They were impressive in several ways, not the least of
which was their persistence.

In fact, would people like this - willing to risk life and limb on so
unlikely a venture - be classified as insane today? Or, more likely, would
someone be trying to sue them into oblivion for something or other (ie.
watching a glider caused some poor victim to have sleepless nights)?

- Andrew

Old December 10th 03, 08:18 PM
Michael 182

Stepen Coonts wrote a humor piece for AOPA about the government getting in
the Wright brother's way. I believe you need an AOPA membership to read the
article from this link...

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...ights0012.html

Old December 11th 03, 01:10 AM
Brian Burger

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Andrew Gideon wrote:

Wdtabor wrote:

[...]

The XPrize people don't seem to be slowing down too much. Not just Rutan,
either.

I'd say the Wright brother's 'insanity' lives on in avaition. Even the
zero-time wannabe student who wanders into his local flight school and
stammers, "Um... I'm, uh, interested in learning to fly?" has some tiny
sliver of that spirit.

(let's face it, there are safer methods of transport, and there are
*certainly* better ways to make a living!)

Brian - PP-ASEL/Night -
Old December 11th 03, 01:17 PM
Judah

No - they'd have been labelled ADD and put on Rittelin (sp?) so that they
could sit in their house watching TV all day and getting fat...

Andrew Gideon wrote in
online.com:

snip

Old December 11th 03, 01:24 PM