Learning the KLN94 GPS

Old April 1st 04, 12:17 AM
DH

Default Learning the KLN94 GPS

Has anyone seen this video from King Schools: GPS From A-Z Featuring The
KLN94 - DVD? I'm looking for a training aid to really get familiar with the
KLN94 on the ground... Any other suggestions are welcome... Thanks.

Old April 1st 04, 04:27 PM
jsmith

Download the manual from the King website.
Sit in the airplane and play with the buttons with the manual in your lap.
Go fly with another pilot. Let him/her fly while you play with the GPS.
Why waste money on the videotape. It has the same information as the manual.
You will learn more from pushing the wrong button than trying to
remember what the tape showed you.
That's why you have the manual in your lap.

Old April 1st 04, 06:36 PM
Ross Richardson

I disagree. I have a KLN 89/B and the manual is confusing. I played
witht the Direct To but wanted more out of it. I did use an instructor
to get me started, and then some more flying with another pilot to watch
out for traffic. I bought the King (Martha and John) video on the 89/B
and found it very acceptable. I still go back as refreshers. I now feel
pretty confortable with it.

Ross

Old April 1st 04, 11:03 PM
Brien K. Meehan

jsmith wrote in message ...

Download the manual from the King website.
Sit in the airplane and play with the buttons with the manual in your lap.

Absolutely wrong.

Go fly with another pilot. Let him/her fly while you play with the GPS.

Not efficient.

Why waste money on the videotape. It has the same information as the manual.
You will learn more from pushing the wrong button than trying to
remember what the tape showed you.

There are things that the unit won't do sitting on the ground. You
have to fly it to see how it works in operation.

Flying it as a passenger is inefficient if you don't know what you're
doing. Flipping through the manual, trying to discover what's
important and what's not, is a waste of time. If you run into
something you don't understand, you're stuck.

Focusing on an unfamiliar device while flying solo could be dangerous.

Having an expert show you what to expect, in a succinct and effective
manner, can be the safest and most efficent method for learning how to
use this unit. Watch the video, make some notes, then go try it out.
If the video costs less than a half-hour or so of flying, and a
student prefers learning by rote, I'd say it's well worth it.

That's why you have the manual in your lap.

There might be some manuals about effective learning / teaching and
safe flying available for downloading online.
Old April 1st 04, 11:20 PM
Rick Glasser

DH wrote:

Has anyone seen this video from King Schools: GPS From A-Z Featuring The
KLN94 - DVD? I'm looking for a training aid to really get familiar with the
KLN94 on the ground... Any other suggestions are welcome... Thanks.

I agree with Ross. My school's planes have both the 89B and the 94. I bought
both manuals early on in my training. I felt pretty good reading the manuals
and learning while flying. But, when I was ready to do my Inst. rating, I
bought both of the DVDs. It was very nice to see Martha go through actual
approaches with the boxes. I have been able to demonstrate features to my
instructor and examiner.

--
Rick/JYO
PP-ASEL-IA
Old April 2nd 04, 01:22 AM
John Clonts

Don't forget "take-home mode".

When I was studying for IR I spent quite a few hours flying approaches on my
kitchen table with my KLN-94 hooked up to a 12-V power supply.

If anybody wants the pin-outs for that I can look them up again...

Cheers,
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Old April 3rd 04, 01:59 AM
DH

Thanks everyone!-- This discussion was quite helpful. I had already
downloaded the manual, which is not bad. But based on your feedback,
although a bit expensive (about $100 for the DVD), I'm going to get the
DVD-- my sense is that it will be a worthwhile adjunct to really learning to
use the unit.

Old April 7th 04, 06:28 PM
Art Varrassi

DH, One other excellent resource I would recommend is a book titled "Cockpit
Automation" by Stephen Casner, Iowa State Press Publishing. It provides
step-by-step instructions on the use of both the Bendix/King KLN 94 and the
Garmin GNS 430 IFR GPS computers and includes a DVD that demonstrates both
units in use.

Art Varrassi
PP-ASEL
Instrument Student