Best NC mic?

Old July 22nd 05, 06:52 PM
Dean A. Scott

Default Best NC mic?

What's the best noice cancelling eletret mic for high-
noise, open cockpit operations (Rotax 503 tractor prop
5 feet out in front of windshileded cockpit)?

Flightcom has their A7A.1, Sigtronics has their M81-H,
and then there's all these others, like M54, M55, M56, M90,
M7A, M4, PA-4, PA-9, etc. etc. It's SO confusing since
very few of the on-line and print catalog dealers give mic
performance specs like freq range, output levels, etc. to
make any sort of a comparison.

I currently have a Sonetics A9 made for Flightcom with an
OregonAero MicMuff and I'm wondering if this is the same
mic as what they are calling the A7A.1 with it's advertised
distortion free output.

My comms are undistorted and audible, but there's still a
LOT of screamin' engine coming thru as if the A9 wasn't
going a good job at cancelling noise. Yes, it's mounted
and pointing the right way on the wire boom.

Another flyier in a similar plane has nearly inaudible back
ground engine noise from his Sigtronics SE-2 or S-8 headset
which I think comes with the M80 or M81H.

What are your findings and preferences?
Old August 1st 05, 03:57 PM

Dean,
One of the first things I would do is to borrow the other flyer's
headset and try it in your aircraft.

Sid

Dean A. Scott wrote:
What's the best noice cancelling eletret mic for high-
noise, open cockpit operations (Rotax 503 tractor prop
5 feet out in front of windshileded cockpit)?

snip...