Prop Inspection

Old January 3rd 05, 03:40 AM
William M

Default Prop Inspection

Anyone know what it should cost to get a cs three blade prop
inspected.

Last overhaul in 1989, hours since 5.9 (yes 5.9). Aircraft stored
majority of time in a hangar in a non-corrosive climate. No damage on
props, paint still looks fresh (even on leading edge).

What are the rules on prop inspections in the US? Also can anyone do
an inspection or do they have to be sent out to a shop. If so any
recommendations.

Thanks

Old January 3rd 05, 05:31 PM

Most CS props in the US print suggested inspection and maintenance at
the earlier of 500 hours or 6 years.

I'd be a little concerned about some kind of sludge in the CS
mechanism. However cycling the prop a few times before takeoff would
"hopefully" resolve this question.
I'd guess $1000 to have it done. What's your peace of mind worth?

Old January 3rd 05, 08:48 PM
JDupre5762

"William M" wrote in message
. com...

Anyone know what it should cost to get a cs three blade prop inspected.
Last overhaul in 1989, hours since 5.9 (yes 5.9). Aircraft stored
majority of time in a hangar in a non-corrosive climate. No damage on
props, paint still looks fresh (even on leading edge).
What are the rules on prop inspections in the US? Also can
an inspection or do they have to be sent out to a shop. If so any
recommendations.

Thanks

As for rules there are recommended overhaul times both in terms of hours of
operation and calendar time. Your propeller would probably be considered over
for calendar time which I think is on the order of ten or 12 years. However as
a Part 91 operator these are recommended times and do not have to be adhered
to.

With that low hourly time but high calendar time there are two things to
consider. The status of the seals and o rings internally and compliance of any
Airworthiness Directives that have come out.

You could have the prop inspected for condition and resealed for somewhere
between $400 and $1000 I would think. AD compliance would vary depending on
the AD and the prop make.

John Dupre'
Old January 3rd 05, 11:22 PM
nobody

I agree with the others, all the regs aside I would have the hub torn down
and inspected. Having all of the oil fly out of the hub during takeoff would
not make for a good day. The blades should be good to go.

Old January 4th 05, 12:01 AM

JDupre5762 wrote:
"William M" wrote in message
. com...

As for rules there are recommended overhaul times both in terms of

hours of
operation and calendar time. Your propeller would probably be

considered over
for calendar time which I think is on the order of ten or 12 years.

However as
a Part 91 operator these are recommended times and do not have to be

adhered
to.

Depends on the manufacturer. I belive that either Hartzell or
HamStandard has a rigid time requirement on several of it's
models...something like 1000 hours or 5 calendar years, whichever comes
first.

Craig C.

Old January 4th 05, 12:21 AM
Matt Whiting

nobody wrote:

I agree with the others, all the regs aside I would have the hub torn down
and inspected. Having all of the oil fly out of the hub during takeoff would
not make for a good day. The blades should be good to go.

Not nearly as bad a day as having one blade fly out. At our last annual
it was discovered that we had a corroded blade and a crack in the hub.
This "inspection" cost us $8500. :-( However, it sure beat the
alternative.

Matt

Old January 4th 05, 07:33 PM

McCauley is up to 6 years for recommended overhaul. Am thinking that
Hartzell is either 5 years or 6 years (more to follow). This is not
mandatory for 91 operations, but periodic internal inspection/reseal is
highly recommended.

Useta have a prop shop across the ramp that was a sister company. Never
really saw a lot of corrosion-related scrap out of the McCauley end,
but I would still recommend an internal inspection/reseal. Any
reputable prop shop could give you a quote. Pretty sure most of the
older McCauley designs have been retrofitted with oil-filled hubs. If
an option (and not already present) I would highly recommend it.

Most of the scrap from the Hartzell end hub-wise was corrosion related.
The hub bearing cavities of compact-hub Hartzell's weren't painted back
in the good old days. Am thinking that the 6 year calender interval
applies to compact hubs that have been painted internally.

Very little corrosion is permissible in the hub. If there is a little
corrosion present now, it may be repairable. If there is a lot present,
you probably don't want to be flying behind it. Again, a quote for an
internal inspection/reseal is common and relatively inexpensive,
depending on what they find.

The older steel-hub Hartzells are also susceptible to corrosion, as are
the blade clamps. It really isn't anything you want to screw around
with.

Hope this helps;

TC

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM