A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How Do You Evaluate an OLC Flight ?

Old April 29th 21, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho
external usenet poster

Default How Do You Evaluate an OLC Flight ?

I look at two things in the statistics to evaluate my overall efficiency:

1- Percent of the flight spent circling
2-Average L/D

To evaluate the "fun" factor, I look at two other things:

1-Distance achieved
2-Flight duration (to determine the amount of yard work I avoided)
Old April 29th 21, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 24, 2021 at 3:29:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I would like to know how others evaluate an OLC flight and determine the difficulty factor involved? I will hold my opinion until this has been truly debated. Old Bob

Bob, you would have to define "difficulty" to get a meaningful answer.

Tom
Old April 29th 21, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Why must one "evaluate" others OLC flights? Why not enjoy your own flight, be impressed by what others can do in similar, or different conditions, and appreciate the beauty of this crazy sport we are all a part of?

Bob I have noticed a trend, you seem to be enthralled with putting down and/or comparing people's abilities and flights. Why worry about everyone else when you can enjoy flying and beauty of the sky?
Old April 29th 21, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 1:33:30 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Why must one "evaluate" others OLC flights? Why not enjoy your own flight, be impressed by what others can do in similar, or different conditions, and appreciate the beauty of this crazy sport we are all a part of?

Bob I have noticed a trend, you seem to be enthralled with putting down and/or comparing people's abilities and flights. Why worry about everyone else when you can enjoy flying and beauty of the sky?

Wyll, I cannot recall an instance where I have as you say, "Put Down", or compared people flights. More to the contrary I have congratulated many people for their flights as depicted on OLC, both in private and public. I encourage many glider pilots that I know to go further, set goals and always shoot for a way to improve.
I evaluate most every flight that I take, do I compare my flight to others, yes, why certainly and I would venture to guess that most people do the same. I want to see my distance, my speed, my altitude, my % of thermaling, my triangle legs, and evaluate against other flights.
One of if not the most difficult, flights is the declared triangle of over 300K with that triangle being near equilateral and less scalene. I consider the speed around that triangle to be a good indicator of my flight. This does not always tell the whole story, location plays a huge role, great basin flights for instance provide much more opportunity than say Florida flights, or Ohio Valley flights. I am certain that there is more to come on this topic. Old Bob