Why is ADF or Radar Required on MFD ILS RWY 32 Approach Plate?

Old March 29th 04, 02:57 PM
S. Ramirez

Default Why is ADF or Radar Required on MFD ILS RWY 32 Approach Plate?

Does anyone know why the Mansfield OH MFD ILS RWY 32 approach plate has ADF
or Radar Required written on it?

There is speculation on another forum that ADF is required to establish the
FAF for the localizer approach, but I argued that it is not required for the
ILS approach, since intercept of the glideslope is the "FAF" for the ILS
approach. The approaches we have in FL are similar but do not have ADF or
Radar Required written on them.

I can understand that without radar vectors, setting up for the ILS approach
would require ADF so that one overflies the NDB outbound, stays within ten
miles, and then comes back to intercept the glideslope; therefore, radar
vectors or ADF would be required for this approach. But this is obvious on
other approach plates without spelling it out. Why is this verbiage written
on this approach plate?

Thanks.

Simon Ramirez

Old March 29th 04, 06:25 PM
Ray Andraka

Simon,

It may be for the missed, or it may be required to provide a fix where the
altimeter can be checked. In the case of my home 'drome, DME is required
because there are no VORs positioned sufficiently to provide a crossing radial
for that identification. You need that ID to fly the localizer only, as well as
to cross check the altimeter and glideslope when on the ILS. A marker beacon
will also suffice, but recently the FAA has been changing the ILS approaches so
that the intercepts are at even thousands of feet, and so the marker beacons are
no longer in the right place.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old March 29th 04, 06:38 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"S. Ramirez" wrote in message
m...

Does anyone know why the Mansfield OH MFD ILS RWY 32
approach plate has ADF or Radar Required written on it?

Sure. It's because the person procedure that developed or reviewed the
procedure believed ADF or approach radar was required to fly the approach.

I can understand that without radar vectors, setting up for the ILS
approach would require ADF so that one overflies the NDB outbound, stays

within ten miles, and then comes back to intercept the glideslope;
therefore, radar vectors or ADF would be required for this approach.

You don't need ADF or radar to fly this approach. There's a feeder route
from MFD and the marker beacon works just as well as the NDB to identify
MANNS.

But this is obvious on other approach plates without spelling it
out. Why is this verbiage written
on this approach plate?

It's an error.

Old March 29th 04, 06:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

Sure. It's because the person procedure that developed or reviewed
the procedure believed ADF or approach radar was required to fly the
approach.

Oops. That should have been, "It's because the person that developed or

Old March 29th 04, 07:38 PM
Greg Esres

There's a feeder route from MFD and the marker beacon works just as
well

There are some vague suggestions in FAA literature that marker beacons
should only be used to determine a fix when flying the course they're
associated with, such as the localizer.

Old March 29th 04, 10:39 PM
Andrew Sarangan

In a nonradar environment you will need to start the approach at the
IAF, which in this case is the NDB station. I suspect that in your
other examples you may have multiple IAF's. If one of the IAF's is not
an NDB, then you would not need an ADF.

Old March 29th 04, 11:08 PM
Ross Richardson

I went through the same thing when my local airport had a brand new ILS
commissioned. It came out with ADF required and other airports in the
area with ILSs didn't. I wrote to the FAA and explained that the FAF
could be defined by the combination of any two, localizer, cross radial,
and marker beacon. The marker beacon is colocated with the NDB. At first
the FAA thought they didn't optimize the approach correctly and
submitted a change. They had you go missed approach to a VOR 20+ miles
away and hold. It required almost 60 miles of flying. I said disregard
my message. The current ILS has a ADF required. I cannot remember the
exact answer from the FAA, but the ADF was simpler than using the
localizer and the VOR cross radial. Go figure. I have a IFR approved
GPS, so I quit complaining. And I apologized to the airport manager for
almost screwing up his new approach.

Ross

Old March 29th 04, 11:09 PM
Ross Richardson

See my previous message, it is not necessarily an error. It is part of
the developed procedure. It was in my case.

Ross