Lightspeed Recommendations Wanted

Old October 13th 05, 11:03 PM
Lakeview Bill

Default Lightspeed Recommendations Wanted

In examining the Lightspeed lineup, it seems to be a classic case of "for
only $30 more you get this"; pretty soon you're up to some serious money.

So, which of their ANR units provides the most bang for the buck?

Which models would you recommend for flights of less than two hours behind a
two-stroke engine?

Thanks...

Old October 13th 05, 11:15 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

I have 2 30's (bought for $350) and have had 20's. Good headset. See -Wow
thread for more. For the money, I feel the 30's are superior. OTOH, you
may get a great deal from LS for some who wanted to upgrade to 40+'s. AOPA
is coming up. Can you pole the vendors for show specials and ask someone to
pick them up for you?

FWIW I also have to Bode 10x's in the front. Great product but at One AMU
per, pricey. For your extra $650, you don't have to worry about the battery
but they also have to stay w/ the plane.

YOM, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

.. .

Old October 13th 05, 11:20 PM
Jim Burns

Which models would you recommend for flights of less than two hours behind
two-stroke engine?

Your wife let's you fly with models??!!! dang... mine doesn't... so I had to
settle for the 20XL's.
Jim

Old October 14th 05, 12:11 AM
Morgans

"Lakeview Bill" wrote

Which models would you recommend for flights of less than two hours behind

two-stroke engine?

The model securely in it's box, back in the house, with it's owner.

Sorry, I couldn't help it.
--
Jim in NC

Friends don't let friends fly 2 strokes. Only kind'a kidding, of course.

Old October 14th 05, 01:18 AM

I have four of the 20-3 g's. I love them !!!!!!!!

What does the 30's do that the 20's don't ??

Old October 14th 05, 01:53 AM
john smith

Which models would you recommend for flights of less than two hours behind
a two-stroke engine?

Your wife let's you fly with models??!!! dang... mine doesn't... so I had to
settle for the 20XL's.

My wife would probably let me fly with models, she would probably object
if I wanted to play with them, though.
Old October 14th 05, 05:00 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

A noticeable improvement on the ANR. I think the battery seems to last
longer.
Get some to try in the cockpit of your aircraft. I did and the 30's sound
better.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old October 14th 05, 10:00 AM
Thomas Borchert

Lakeview,

Which models would you recommend for flights of less than two hours behind a
two-stroke engine?

Ah, two-stroke. Good that you mention it. You tend to have less of the really
low-frequency "rumble" that is typical for bigger engines and more of a higher
frequency bias in the noise spectrum. Since ANR is excellent at low
frequencies and passive reduction good at higher frequencies, the QFR XCc
might actuall be a good option for you. It has not-stellar ANR, but still a
quite high passive reduction.

OTOH, the XL and 3G series offer those super-comfortable cushions.

If at all possible, try them in your plane.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 14th 05, 11:54 AM
Denny

I have the 20 3G currently... Upgraded from the 20XL... Perfectly happy
and don't feel that spending more will get me more that is
meaningful...

denny

Old October 14th 05, 12:51 PM
Kevin Kubiak

I seriously considered the Bose headsets. In fact at OSH
this year I did a side by side comparison of the Bose, Lightspeeds,
and I think the Flight Coms. The vendor I purchased them from (Gulf Coast
Avionics) had all ANR headsets on a rack and had a plug in where they had a
noise generator.

I found that the Bose and Lightspeeds 30-3Gs were pretty close in sound and
fit for my liking. The Bose were lighter and did not have the cell phone
interface or the MPS/CD player interface as did the LightSpeeds. I wanted the
cell phone interface so I could have the ability to call from on the ground.
The Bose did not offer such capability, and I couldn't justify the cost. Also,
the Lightspeeds were discounted by about 5% so I went with the Lightspeeds.

I have had a few problems with my Lightspeeds since purchased new, which kind
of bothers me, but other than that I am completely satisfied with the way the
fit and perform.

Kevin Kubiak - PP-ASEL