check brake pressure in pre-landing checklist?

Old October 2nd 05, 08:49 AM
Ray

Default check brake pressure in pre-landing checklist?

I'm reading a book about general aviation safety that I picked up from
the library: "Flight Safety in General Aviation" by R.D. Campbell, 1987.

The book suggests that for planes with hydraulic brake systems you
should always check the brake pressure (by checking the pedal
resistance) as part of the pre-landing checklist. This is not included
in the POH checklist for any of the planes I fly and none of the
instructors I have flown with have every suggested this. But it sounds
like a good idea to me. Does anyone here have a brake check in their
pre-landing checklist?

- Ray
Old October 2nd 05, 12:26 PM
Greg Farris

Interesting suggestion.
It happens I just flew a C-172 the other day that had a "soft" right
brake. When I started to taxi I noticed it, and by pumping it a few times
I regained normal pressure. I tested the brakes several times, and
deciding they were OK, I launched. Before landing, I tested the brakes,a
nd the right one had gone comùpletely soft again. I pumped them a few
times, and all was back to normal. Had I not done this, I may have had a
control issue on landing.

G Faris

Old October 2nd 05, 04:41 PM
Doug Carter

On 2005-10-02, Ray wrote:
... The book suggests that for planes with hydraulic brake systems you
should always check the brake pressure (by checking the pedal
resistance) as part of the pre-landing checklist.

I do it now. About a month ago, brakes were fine on taxi out, three
hours later at touchdown and trying too hard to make the first turnoff
(an MD80 was hard on my heels) the right brake was zilch. In my
excitement I put a flat spot on the left tire before figuring out what
what was going on and letting it roll (11k ft. runway

Pumping it got about half the peddle back; would have been nicer to have
done that in the air!

--
Doug Carter
C82RG, PTS2
Old October 2nd 05, 04:45 PM
Flyingmonk

You "put a flat spot on the left tire"? Surprised you didn't ground
loop...

Old October 2nd 05, 06:55 PM
Ken Reed

The book suggests that for planes with hydraulic brake systems you
should always check the brake pressure (by checking the pedal
resistance) as part of the pre-landing checklist. This is not included
in the POH checklist for any of the planes I fly and none of the
instructors I have flown with have every suggested this. But it sounds
like a good idea to me. Does anyone here have a brake check in their
pre-landing checklist?

It is on the Cirrus pre-landing check list.

KR
Old October 2nd 05, 07:23 PM
Blanche

A brake check is definitely in the checklist for Pipers, immediately
after "start engine". Get rolling a bit, check hand brake and if
installed, check tow brakes.

Old October 2nd 05, 09:18 PM
Ray

I was taught to check brakes as soon as I was slowly rolling forward.

I think most people do a brake check as soon as they start the taxi. My
question was how many people do another brake check as part of their
pre-landing checklist. In my limited experience this is far less
common, but it seems like a good idea that doesn't add any siginificant
time or effort to the pre-landing check.

- Ray
Old October 2nd 05, 09:40 PM
Doug Carter

On 2005-10-02, Flyingmonk wrote:
You "put a flat spot on the left tire"? Surprised you didn't ground
loop...

Yeah, I suspect that when I applied the brakes and the nose came left I
automatically put in full right rudder and didn't get far enough off of
the right brake.

The Skylane RG has smaller tires than the welded gear version, slides
easier to begin with and doesn't take long to mark up the tires.

I mostly fly a Pitts so ground looping something as docile as a Skylane
wasn't too likely (famous last words!

--
Doug Carter
C82R, PTS2
Old October 2nd 05, 09:47 PM
Marc CYBW

Testing the brakes is on my own 172 pre-landing check list and has been on
all the rental 172s I've flown with 3 different operators.

Marc