Crash Trends

Old October 4th 05, 08:51 PM
Gary Drescher

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
Dresher wrote: "You're mistaken. The Nall report has always expressed
accident and
fatality
rates as a function of hours flown. Otherwise, the rates would not be
meaningful as measures of safety"

OK. I thought they only pointed to the raw accident and fatality stats,
which as you pointed out would be meaningless statistically. (Of course,
the press will just report on the percentage increase in fatalities
without normalizing for flight hours, which is ok by me.)

No, you're mistaken there too. The press seldom reports on GA accident
statistics, but when they do, they express the rates per hour of activity,
since that's the form in which the information is provided by the
organizations that keep track of such things. (See, for example, Sunday's
San Diego Union-Tribune, which mentions the GA accident rate of 6.6 per
100,000 hours of flying.)

--Gary

Old October 4th 05, 10:01 PM
Skylune

Negative, Houston.

I saw articles written regarding the number of GA accidents without any
mention of hours flown. Now, where are the official hours flown
statistics
archived?

(Due to recent spam and abuse on our forums we have implemented a post
limiting filter to all users. Please resubmit your post in a few minutes.
We apologize for the delay.)

Old October 4th 05, 10:49 PM
TaxSrv

"Skylune" wrote:
Now I'm even seeing some pop up ads from a company
that claims you can get your IFR ticket in 10 days!!!!

LOL. This is ludicrous.

No it is not ludicrous. It's not for everybody, but for many others
it is very effective training. Just get the written out of the way
just before the 10 days. Are you an instrument rated pilot? Even
a VFR pilot may have little clue as to what instrument flying is
really about.

the ones who fly very infrequently
and are a danger

Disagree. For most light singles with tricycle gear, some of your
landings may just be ungraceful. With enough total hours, that
need not be the case. At least, this issue has little to do with
fatal accidents, the context of your posts. Two significant causes
of fatals are weather and fuel exhaustion, generally on long
x-country trips. Infrequent flyers go 40 miles for a hamburger on
a selectively gorgeous day.

Fred F.

Old October 4th 05, 11:11 PM
Gary Drescher

"Skylune" wrote in message
lkaboutaviation.com...
where are the official hours flown statistics archived?

Good question. You might ask the NTSB or the Nall Report folks.

--Gary

Old October 5th 05, 12:09 AM
Gary Drescher

"TaxSrv" wrote in message
"Skylune" wrote:
the ones who fly very infrequently
and are a danger

Disagree. For most light singles with tricycle gear, some of your
landings may just be ungraceful. With enough total hours, that
need not be the case. At least, this issue has little to do with
fatal accidents, the context of your posts. Two significant causes
of fatals are weather and fuel exhaustion, generally on long
x-country trips.

Fuel management accounts for only 7.6% of pilot-caused fatal GA accidents,
according to the 2004 Nall Report. Weather causes another 12.7%. They're far
exceeded by takeoff/climb fatalities (16.5%), descent/approach fatalities
(18.6%), and maneuvering fatalities (25.0%).

--Gary

Old October 5th 05, 12:45 AM

Skylune wrote:
LMAO. Drinking egg-nog from a specimin container. But why on earth does
the FAA care if you are a diabetic, but couldn't care less about whether
you are a coke head? More weirdness.....

Because for all we know cokeheads are better than average pilots. The
number of fatalities where cocaine use is implicated has probably never
exceeded ten per year. More people are probably killed when they spill
hot coffee in their lap in their cars. Why on earth doesn't the dep't
of motor vehicles test for caffeine?

Old October 5th 05, 02:14 AM
George Patterson

Steve Foley wrote:

I had forgotten about the report on the medical. I don't remember, do they
ask for hours since the last medical, or total hours?

Since the last medical.

I think that hours on the aircraft would be a more accurate measure, since
there is a good chance the IA can figure it out with the log books at hand.

Maybe, but the logbook hours will be tach hours on the plane. That won't be the
same as real hours on the plane, nor will either be the same as time in the air.
If tach hours is sufficient for the purpose, it might well be more accurate than
the current method.

Of course, as Jim says, that has to be paid for.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 5th 05, 02:17 AM
TaxSrv

"Gary Drescher" wrote:
Two significant causes
of fatals are weather and fuel exhaustion,
generally on long x-country trips.

Fuel management accounts for only 7.6% of pilot-caused fatal GA

accidents,
according to the 2004 Nall Report. Weather causes another 12.7%.

They're far
exceeded by takeoff/climb fatalities (16.5%), descent/approach

fatalities
(18.6%), and maneuvering fatalities (25.0%).

If those are overall stats, you're going to get different results
when you exclude accidents which are mechanically induced. That's
many of the climbout accidents, and often NTSB/FAA can't determine
if there was a partial power loss, where's there a fatal and
destroyed airframe. They just do thumb compression and mag spark
check, if possible, so it comes out pilot error. Ditto when on
final.

Maneuvering includes acro and circling low over your significant
other's house. Yes, currency can makes either safer, but we really
shouldn't do the latter.

Fred F.

Doubts raised in jet crash Dave Butler Piloting 8 July 26th 05 01:25 AM
Yet another A36 crash H.P. Piloting 10 April 23rd 05 05:58 PM
update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 02:38 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 04:34 PM