A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Wing loading vs Span



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 20th 16, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,463
Default Wing loading vs Span

In days of old the phrase was "Nothing beats wing span". Now it seems as if these short wing "open" birds, i.e., JS1C are beating the long wing birds.. Rarely even see a 23 meter bird in the open class. Having almost half my glider time in the open class I miss the long beautiful wings and at the end of a dying day a 6.2 pound wing loading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt9VfoN2kTA&t=44s

Never having flown a 21 meter bird, but I cannot imagine they are as efficient at dolphin flying as a bird with more span.

So the question is, does span still beat wing loading or does 21 meters at 12 pounds beat 26.5 meters at 9.2 pounds? I realize there are many assumptions and variables, but damnit I miss the beauty of the long wings.
Ads
  #2  
Old December 21st 16, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 190
Default Wing loading vs Span

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 4:04:59 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
In days of old the phrase was "Nothing beats wing span". Now it seems as if these short wing "open" birds, i.e., JS1C are beating the long wing birds. Rarely even see a 23 meter bird in the open class. Having almost half my glider time in the open class I miss the long beautiful wings and at the end of a dying day a 6.2 pound wing loading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt9VfoN2kTA&t=44s

Never having flown a 21 meter bird, but I cannot imagine they are as efficient at dolphin flying as a bird with more span.

So the question is, does span still beat wing loading or does 21 meters at 12 pounds beat 26.5 meters at 9.2 pounds? I realize there are many assumptions and variables, but damnit I miss the beauty of the long wings.


IMHO...it depends on the weather you would encounter. If your are continuously flying in weak weather I'd go 26.5/9.2. If weather was expected to be consistently better than 4 knots, then 21/12. You could always order a Binder EB-29R and go 29.3/11 and self launch to boot. Think of all the fun you would have getting that aircraft carrier out of the trailer and ready to launch. Your new 29Es would pay for about 1/2 of that new EB 29R.
  #3  
Old December 21st 16, 05:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,076
Default Wing loading vs Span

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 9:00:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 4:04:59 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
In days of old the phrase was "Nothing beats wing span". Now it seems as if these short wing "open" birds, i.e., JS1C are beating the long wing birds. Rarely even see a 23 meter bird in the open class. Having almost half my glider time in the open class I miss the long beautiful wings and at the end of a dying day a 6.2 pound wing loading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt9VfoN2kTA&t=44s

Never having flown a 21 meter bird, but I cannot imagine they are as efficient at dolphin flying as a bird with more span.

So the question is, does span still beat wing loading or does 21 meters at 12 pounds beat 26.5 meters at 9.2 pounds? I realize there are many assumptions and variables, but damnit I miss the beauty of the long wings.


Just my opinion after about 300 hours racing a Nimbus 3 at 25.5 meters and about 9 psf. If the day is good, you can't keep up on a head to head run if you have more span but less wing loading. But, if you make some decisions better then them, you can for a race. You don't have a significant edge in mass, so Kinetic Energy is not significantly different. You have more wetted area, and lower wing loading, so in strong stuff, they can probably keep right up on the pull ups while dolphin flying. And out-glide you on the run.

When it gets weak, we all get light. I can get down to about 7.2, they can get down to about the same. You gain a span loading advantage, so maybe a bit on climb. But, I find the Nimbus handles worse dry than wet, so my climb doesn't go up as much as I would hope when I get light. Then, when you leave the thermal, you feel like you are a feather.

20 years newer aerodynamics does make a difference. But, like you, Jonathan, I do love span. To quote Platypus: "There is no Substitute for Span. Well, there is. It is called talent. But, you can buy span." So, I bought 25.5 meters of it. And I love every minute of flying it!

Steve Leonard
  #4  
Old December 21st 16, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,610
Default Wing loading vs Span

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 12:28:10 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
20 years newer aerodynamics does make a difference.


And 40 years makes an even bigger difference.
Nimbus 3 first flew more than 35 years ago!

I guess we're getting old...
See ya at the Seniors,
Best Regards, Dave
  #5  
Old December 21st 16, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,076
Default Wing loading vs Span

On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 6:27:34 AM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 12:28:10 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
20 years newer aerodynamics does make a difference.


And 40 years makes an even bigger difference.
Nimbus 3 first flew more than 35 years ago!

I guess we're getting old...
See ya at the Seniors,
Best Regards, Dave


I could only go as a guest, Dave. But, yes. We are getting old. And, I assumed that Concordia and initial JS1 Aero is pushing 10 years old now, too. So, it is closer to 20 than 40 years of Aero Evolution.

Maybe at Cordele,
Steve
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight or wing loading? Jim Lewis[_2_] Soaring 3 February 18th 15 10:11 AM
Wing Loading Dan Marotta Soaring 11 April 27th 12 02:29 PM
Wing loading Andy[_1_] Soaring 2 March 11th 08 05:57 AM
Why don't all fighters have low Wing Loading? Chad Irby Military Aviation 6 September 22nd 03 10:52 PM
Can someone explain wing loading? Frederick Wilson Home Built 4 September 10th 03 02:33 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.