Question - Regarding Canard Pushers...

Old August 8th 03, 05:22 AM
D.W. Taylor

RobertR237 wrote:
In article , Big John
writes:

Kevin

Note your Fighter Pilot's druthers.

With a side stick you can't fly with your knees while you do other
important things with ur hands.

Big John
Retired Fighter Pilot

That's what Autopilots are for.

! no thats what the girl friend is for....

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Had to be said...

Dave (daves not here)

Old August 8th 03, 05:58 AM
Big John

Bob

I never heard two knees defined as an auto pilot before.

If you keep loading a bird down (A/P, etc) the weight growth will
seriously effect the performance of bird.

Since most pilots come with two knees, you don't add any weight to be
able to fly the bird with the knees when required.

Big John

On 07 Aug 2003 22:24:28 GMT, osit (RobertR237)

Old August 8th 03, 06:10 AM
Big John

Kevin

----clip----

I got lots of hours holding sticks between my knees too. I would prefer a
centre stick too. But a properly built and rigged canard should be able
to keep right side up once you've got it trimmed, I would have thought.
So you should be able to release the stick for short periods if you really
need both hands.

Most GA birds don't have aileron trim (maybe a ground adjustable tab
on aileron). If you make the bird so inherently stable that it will
fly hands off, then it will fly like a truck and be no fun to fly at
all. Two hands to make a turn, etc.

Lots of ways to make airplanes. Homebuilts let you make what you want
(good or bad)..

Big John
Old August 8th 03, 11:42 AM
Barnyard BOb --

I have 500+ hours in a Q-200 (center stick) and am currently flying a
Glasair II (stick between the legs).
The position of the stick isn't an issue for me.At one time I thought it
was. I fly the Glasair left handed and am quite comfortable with it.
So many other things are issues!!! But certainly not the position of the
stick. The issues come and go as these machines are evolving, Issue at hand
is change both mags and harness or go with single electronic ignition.
It's always something!!!

Steve

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Stick, yoke, or whatever have been non issues
over the last 50 years of flying for me, but......
SINGLE electronic ignition scares the bejeezus
out of me.

What is your rationale, besides money?
Have you taken leave of your senses? g

Barnyard BOb -- 50 years of flight
Old August 8th 03, 12:15 PM
Barnyard BOb --

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:58:41 -0500, Big John
wrote:

Bob

I never heard two knees defined as an auto pilot before.

If you keep loading a bird down (A/P, etc) the weight growth will
seriously effect the performance of bird.

Since most pilots come with two knees, you don't add any weight to be
able to fly the bird with the knees when required.

Big John

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 'knee trick' will get you at least....
three snap rolls, two loops and a split-S in my RV-3
before you can decide it was a less than brilliant idea. g

Barnyard BOb - teller of tall tales

Old August 8th 03, 12:17 PM
Barnyard BOb --

I got lots of hours holding sticks between my knees too. I would prefer a
centre stick too. But a properly built and rigged canard should be able
to keep right side up once you've got it trimmed, I would have thought.
So you should be able to release the stick for short periods if you really
need both hands.

Big John

Why are you picking on the early model Mooney's? g

Barnyard BOb --
Old August 8th 03, 12:29 PM
Barnyard BOb --

If you make the bird so inherently stable that it will
fly hands off, then it will fly like a truck and be no fun to fly at
all. Two hands to make a turn, etc.

Big John

[Let's try this again}

Why are you picking on the early model Mooney's.

Barnyard BOb -- why am I doing this?

Old August 8th 03, 01:53 PM
smf

Bob,

I would go leave one mag on and have Electronic Ignition in place of the
other mag.
It isn't about money, I can get a Slick mag kit (2 mags and harness) for the
price of one Elec. Ignition system.
The elec. ign. has no moving parts except for the sensor and has a much
hotter spark and the benefits of spark advance.

Steve

Oh...I take leave of my senses regularly. Flying experimental is a good sign
of that!!!
" ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Old August 8th 03, 02:04 PM
smf

Richard,
My Q-Bird was a Tri gear model so I didn't have the challanges of handling
on the ground. Some guys said "it was cheating" but it was a puppy on the
ground. In the air it was a pure "hands on airplane". Very responsive with a
rather high landing speed. I know of several fatalities in the planes. They
all seem to be in the test flight phase or in the first 20 hrs. of a new
owner.

These planes don't really stall, they just kinda porpoise. When the canard
stalls the rear wing is still flying so the nose drops and canard starts
flying again. It will do this over and over.

I'm convinced that after spending 570hrs in a Q I'm a better pilot.

Steve

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message

Steve,
How does the Q-200 fly?
Have you ever written up the handling characteristics?

Richard

Old August 8th 03, 02:15 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

wrote in message ...
In article 3f324aee$1@ham, Rick Pellicciotti says...

My Velocity RG has a center stick. Came that way from the factory.

I think he means a stick between your knees.

Oh. Ok. Having flown a lot of airplanes with side-sticks, I would never
want to go back to a yoke or a center stick. Especially for an airplane
that I intended to fly long trips in. Having you lap clear for a chart or
kneeboard sure is nice. Also, the instrument panel gains a lot of real
estate. The nicest feature is that the sticks are not in the way for
getting in or out. That may seem trivial but when it comes to pleasing the
wife or girlfriend and making her feel comfortable in the airplane, nothing
is trivial.

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.belleairetours.com

Tailwheel question Steve B Aerobatics 4 January 30th 04 03:35 AM
Hinges under stress - mechanical engineering type question Corrie Home Built 21 August 6th 03 08:49 AM
question on intercoms for my new homebuilt w b evans Home Built 1 July 23rd 03 12:57 AM
Canard static port location Paul Lee Home Built 1 July 12th 03 02:55 AM
Pitts Screw Question VTflyer Home Built 1 July 2nd 03 11:02 AM