Piper doors, why the passenger side?

Old September 25th 03, 05:14 AM
Sven

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
om...
Why does Piper put the door of the plane on the passenger side? I
cannot think of one good reason. Would like to hear the group's
opinions.

My opinion: It may go back to the nautical roots of aviation with the
Starboard and Port sides.

Oops, so much for that idea...

Old September 25th 03, 02:20 PM
JP Krievins

Why does Piper put the door of the plane on the passenger side? I
cannot think of one good reason. Would like to hear the group's
opinions.

Okay, here's one good reason. Have you tried to get out of the
passenger side of a cherokee? It is much easier to climb up and out
onto the wing by twisting and putting a knee on the passenger seat
than to levitate yourself straight up and out. I wondered why my
passengers where all so spastic about getting out of the airplane
until I flew with another pilot!

JP Krievins
Old September 25th 03, 04:11 PM
Kyler Laird

David Megginson writes:

As I mentioned before, passenger entry and exit would also be a
consideration. If you want people to be able to get in or out of the
plane with the engine still running, the door cannot be on the
pilot's side.

I often get in Warriors and my Aztec after my wife has already gotten
settled in to the right side seat. (I usually sit in the right seat
when flying singles though.)

--kyler
Old September 25th 03, 04:11 PM
Kyler Laird

Don Tuite writes:

Why do all you hidebound traditionalists insist on flying the plane
from the left seat?

I don't. I prefer the right seat in singles.

Is there an operating limitation on your licence?

Yeah, it says I need to be able to reach the brakes and look out the
window at the same time.

--kyler
Old September 25th 03, 09:02 PM
Kevin McCue

How about this. The door is on the right from convention. One door for
structurally stronger fuselage. The door on the right so the passenger can
get in after starting the plane. Pilot would already be seated and what else
are passengers for besides auto-pilot?

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old September 25th 03, 09:13 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kevin McCue" wrote in message

How about this. The door is on the right from convention. One door for
structurally stronger fuselage. The door on the right so the passenger can
get in after starting the plane. Pilot would already be seated and what

else
are passengers for besides auto-pilot?

Why start the plane before boarding the passengers?

Old September 25th 03, 09:51 PM
Roger Tracy

Because the captain should go down with the ship. So... gotta
get the passengers off first.

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
om...
First off, this isn't a post to argue the merits of one-door vs.
two-doors, so if you want to do that, start your own thread...

Why does Piper put the door of the plane on the passenger side? I
cannot think of one good reason. Would like to hear the group's
opinions.

OTOH, I can think of several reasons it would be better to have the
single door on the pilots side:
1. Most flights are solo, so with the door on the pilots side, no
need to constantly climb across the passenger seat.
2. On that same point, I like to keep my charts and headsets on the
passenger seat. Again, I have to crawl over them each flight to get
to the pilots seat.
3. It would be nice to allow passengers to board before the pilot
enters.
4. Again most flights are solo, it seems that egress in the event of
an emergency would be easier with the door on the pilots side.

-Nathan

Old September 26th 03, 12:16 AM
Kevin McCue

The convention predates electric start?

--
Kevin McCue
KRYN

Old September 26th 03, 01:05 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Kevin McCue" wrote in message

The convention predates electric start?

Yes, but electric start or not, where's the advantage in the pilot boarding
before the passenger?