Shorter Field Landings?

Old December 9th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default Shorter Field Landings?

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 7:50:29 AM UTC-5, Vaughn wrote:
A good CFI never discourages discussion,
especially when those discussions involve important safety questions.
There are no dumb questions, there are only opportunities to teach.

What a great mindset. May we clone you, sir?

FWIW, I've met quite a few pilots trained in the "You didn't read the #$%^in' book, DID YOU!?" tradition and frankly, they aren't very good pilots.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old December 12th 14, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FreeFlight107

On Monday, December 8, 2014 12:45:09 PM UTC-8, Graham Drinkell wrote:
I use a 25mm Confor/Dyna Foam type seat cushion, would this help? The
scenario, I suggested- would be to able to stop the a/c quickly!

I personally have always used 1" (25mm) of hard Confor Foam + 1" of medium foam in my seats in each of my gliders. and they give great protection as well as a nice firm seat for flying all day.

Also we in the 1-26 fraternity, have a nifty steel reinforced plow installed just forward of the wheel, which is always extended for off field landings, even on hard surfaced runways this little "Plow" will stop you PDQ, and on soft dirt you can actually land in as little as 75' (23m).

Jay Walker