Playing with the Garmin GNS430/530 WAAS simulator

Old December 29th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Default Playing with the Garmin GNS430/530 WAAS simulator

As an owner of a Garmin GNS430 who will most likely upgrade to the WAAS
capability, I downloaded and installed the Garmin GNSxxx WAAS simulator
last night, then "flew" a couple of RNAV/GPS approaches with LPV minimums.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gns430/
(simulator download link on right of page)

A couple of differences I noticed right away is that the WAAS upgrade will
provide a graphical turn line on the moving map for the non-compulsory
waypoints along the approach. Additionally, the GPS will begin flashing a
countdown-to-turn with heading message, followed by a "turn now" message.

As you recall, the current GNS430 software only flashes the new heading
prior to the turn and then stops flashing when the turn is to commence.

Here's a screenshot taken just before the turn with the countdown message
showing:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5...6230104xd2.jpg

I then "flew" a missed approach to a hold. I thought I read in this group
a few weeks ago that the new WAAS upgrade auto-sequences to the missed
approach, but in the simulator it went to "suspend," similar to the current
GNS feature. I was required to hit the OBS to sequence to the first
waypoint along the missed.

The hold was also pretty slick. The GNS430 with WAAS depicted the hold
entry on its moving map, along with another "turn to a heading" message
count-down. At the course reversal of the entry (in a parallel or
tear-drop entry), the GPS again provided a turn-to heading countdown
message and a graphic on the moving map.

--
Peter
Old December 29th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Peter R. wrote:

I then "flew" a missed approach to a hold. I thought I read in this group
a few weeks ago that the new WAAS upgrade auto-sequences to the missed
approach, but in the simulator it went to "suspend," similar to the current
GNS feature. I was required to hit the OBS to sequence to the first
waypoint along the missed.

Did someone say that there?

Did you notice the new MARP annunciation? And, what it signifies?
Old December 29th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Sam Spade wrote:

Did someone say that there?

I thought so. Perhaps I misread.

Did you notice the new MARP annunciation? And, what it signifies?

Yes, I did. IIRC I saw that during the missed approach phase of the
flight. I also noticed an "LPV" annunciation, which took place of the
APPR mode annunciation pre-WAAS.

--
Peter
Old December 29th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

Peter R. wrote:

A couple of differences I noticed right away is that the WAAS upgrade will
provide a graphical turn line on the moving map for the non-compulsory
waypoints along the approach. Additionally, the GPS will begin flashing a
countdown-to-turn with heading message, followed by a "turn now" message.

The 480 does this as well (in addition to going "ding" at the turn now
point).

The hold was also pretty slick. The GNS430 with WAAS depicted the hold
entry on its moving map, along with another "turn to a heading" message
count-down. At the course reversal of the entry (in a parallel or
tear-drop entry), the GPS again provided a turn-to heading countdown
message and a graphic on the moving map.

It's even more fun if you have a GPSS autopilot. Watching the thing
fly the holds and PT's by itself always amazes me.

Old December 29th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Peter R.

Ron Natalie wrote:

The 480 does this as well (in addition to going "ding" at the turn now
point).

Yes, that would be a nice feature. It is somewhat distracting to have to
look down at the unit. However, the count-down feature is nice, since one
look at the GPS and the count-down can be taken over mentally.

It's even more fun if you have a GPSS autopilot. Watching the thing
fly the holds and PT's by itself always amazes me.

My aircraft is also equipped with GPSS so this feature will be interesting
to test and eventually use.

--
Peter
Old January 1st 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bill

I second the suggestion to use the simulators to form an opinion.
I've encountered many of each in BPPP training. My impression is
that now computer savvy pilots tend to get crosswise with the 430/530
less often than the 480--though there are virtuossos on each type.
Rote learners struggle more with the 480.

The 480 will do more but thru additional keystrokes. I do
remember the instance when an engine in the Baron we were flying
lunched and the new-to-480 user was trying to get to the comm flip
flop! Why is that down a menu level?

Pay you $$ and take your choice. BTW, the W series does command
everything thru GPSS steering, an improvement over now W.

If you suffer red-green color blindness, look carefully at the 480.
The highlight cursor works by turning stuff green.

Bill Hale BPPP instructor.