Montague Folding Bikes

Old August 18th 03, 12:47 AM
Mark T. Mueller

Default Montague Folding Bikes

Anyone have these? I am looking at the Mountain Bike version. I don't care
much for the components (since I typically "roll my own"), but Montague
refuses to answer my emails about just buying the frames so I can build a
decent bike around it...

SOOO, I am just interested in anyone's personal experience with these bikes,
how easy they are to throw in and out of your aircraft, and how useful they
have been when traveling.

TIA

Mark
Tiger N1533R
KHEF

Old August 18th 03, 01:44 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Don't the Montagues use full size wheels? That was the big issue for me. I
went with a 20" wheel size and that is about the biggest that easily fits in
and out of rental aircraft like C172s.

Old August 18th 03, 01:55 AM
Mike Noel

Mark, I have one and have ridden it a bit. I'm still waiting on a nylon
case before trying to carry it in my Archer. My impressions so far are that
1. You need to be competent at adjusting brakes and derailleurs since the
factory doesn't get it quite right 2. It folds relatively easily and I
think I will be able to pass it through the front door to get it into the
baggage compartment and 3. It will probably turn out to be a decent bike,
although not as good as my similarly priced Rock Hopper.

--
Regards,
Mike

Old August 18th 03, 02:21 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"Mark T. Mueller" wrote:

Anyone have these? I am looking at the Mountain Bike version.

I have one. I like it quite a bit. They *do* require more space than the Dahons
that have the tiny wheels, but they are much better than the Dahon mountain
bike. It's pretty easy to fit one of these into a Maule.

I added lights and folding saddlebags to mine, which makes it a bit harder to
fold up. I used to ride it to work regularly in clement weather.

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.
Old August 18th 03, 03:41 AM
Mark T. Mueller

That's exactly why I would rather just be able to buy the frame and use my
own components. I would love to take a Montague frame and trick it out with
a plush fork and TruVative crank set with Eggbeater pedals and an ultralight
Mavic/XT wheelset... But by the time I put the parts I want on the Montague
frame, I am looking at almost doubling the cost :-(

You would be amazed how many times I see bikes from a "specialty shop" with
too loose of a chain, or poorly adjusted cables... You would think for over
$500 you would get a properly set up bike!!!

Old August 18th 03, 04:02 AM
Henry Bibb

Mark,

It sounds like you're a sophisticated cyclist. You might want to check out
the information at this site: http://www.sandsmachine.com/

They've got a widget that can be installed in the frame of your choice to
manufacture a folding bike, plus a list of about 90 frame makers who
will put together whatever kind of frame you'd like. (I suppose I should
say, the bike becomes "collapsible", in that it separates into 2 parts,
which then can be packed more compactly.)

Disclaimer: I've only read about it: I'm not a serious cyclist, myself.

Henry Bibb

Old August 18th 03, 04:48 AM
Peter Gottlieb

The Dahons come completely unadjusted and they demand you have a "competent"
shop adjust it before use. Is it *that* difficult for the factory to do
this?

Regarding the Montague frame, perhaps your best bet would be to find a
little used bike on eBay.

Old August 18th 03, 06:19 PM
john smith

Henry Bibb wrote:
It sounds like you're a sophisticated cyclist. You might want to check out
the information at this site: http://www.sandsmachine.com/
They've got a widget that can be installed in the frame of your choice to
manufacture a folding bike, plus a list of about 90 frame makers who
will put together whatever kind of frame you'd like. (I suppose I should
say, the bike becomes "collapsible", in that it separates into 2 parts,
which then can be packed more compactly.)

I just called to ask about getting a set.
Because of liability, they will only sell to bicycle frame makers.
Bummer!
However, the September issue of KITPLANES shows how to do-it-yourself
with any bicycle.
Old August 19th 03, 12:24 AM
Mark T. Mueller

Thanks to everyone!

I did find that S & S fittings website. Very intrigueing.

I also found out that Montague is now marketing an upgraded version of their
mountain bike, with Shimano XT components and a nice Rock Shox fork, through
Hummer Accessories. Problem is, they want almost $2K for it. I can get the
frame retail and roll my own with XT comps and a plush fork for about half
that. Pretty steep markup.

I did look at the "munchkin" wheel systems, but they would not hold up to my
kind of riding. I really didn't like Dahon's folding system.

It is pretty much between getting an S&S or customizing a Montague, but at
least I have my answer! Thanks again to those who participated in this
thread...

Old August 19th 03, 04:35 AM
john smith

Kyler Laird wrote:
I haven't seen that, but here's a close-up of the cycle I'm in the
process of ordering for my plane.
http://www.organicengines.com/Troika...ree_bits/4.jpg
Grab a torch and start brazing.

Ahhhh!!!