Internal Wings - The future of aviation?

Old December 27th 03, 08:20 PM
Roger Long

Default Internal Wings - The future of aviation?

My son is getting an education about the real world. He got a small foam
glider for Christmas with a futuristic looking three piece foam wing.
According to the packaging, the toy company was set up to raise money for
development of this new aircraft design. Neat.

We looked it up at:

http://www.rexresearch.com/carrcoan/carrcoan.htm

The fellow behind it is flight instructor of 26 years experience and there
is a long involved explanation of how the wing works. The explanation didn
't make much sense to this author of some articles on lift

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Articles.htm

but, what the hell. Maybe it works but for reasons the designer doesn't
understand.

We took it out and tried it. As near as I can tell, it has about the same
aerodynamic characteristics as a diecast metal airplane model. I could
detect no sign of lift or aerodynamic effects at all. It follows a
trajectory for a short distance until drag overcomes inertia and then heads
straight down. We doubled up the rubber band sling for more speed. It went
twice a far but exhibiting about the same flight characteristics as a rock.

I looked up Robert Carr in the pilot data base. The only one in OK has only
a ground instructor's certificate. Could be he's someone else and the
Robert Carr behind the glider isn't in the database. I feel better though
not seeing any evidence that this fellow is teaching anyone to fly a real
plane.

I just wish I could figure out how they got the movies on the toy company
web site.

http://www.iwatoyco.com/

My 40 plus years of fiddling with model and real airplanes were not enough
to show me how to coax the slightest hint of aerodynamic response out of
this turkey.

The text of the full patent is included in the first site linked above. It'
s even more of a hoot than the glider. Just goes to show that you can
patent anything.

My son isn't learning anything about aerodynamics but he is learning about
hype.

--
Roger Long

Old December 28th 03, 02:28 AM
Jay Honeck

I just wish I could figure out how they got the movies on the toy company
web site.

http://www.iwatoyco.com/

Well, the videos certainly look genuine, and fun.

Maybe the bitterly cold air in Maine at this time of year is collapsing the
lift inside the internal wing system?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 28th 03, 02:50 AM
Jeff Franks

If you'll notice in the video, they never show the END of the flight. They
only show the "good" part you described, so there is no evidence that after
the highspeed portion of the flight, that they didn't fall out of the sky as
well.....

I've had similar issues with a couple of these "R/C" planes that are out
this year. Your ability to control them is wholly dependant on your level
of telekenesis.

Jeff

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old December 28th 03, 04:20 AM
Dean Wilkinson

My 4 year-old son got one of these from a friend... it does fly like
a rock. I didn't realize they were claiming it was supposed to be
aerodynamic, but it seems to be lacking the fundamentals of flight...

Dean

Old December 28th 03, 10:53 AM
Roger Long

It was in the 40's yesterday. Bitter if you're from coastal Maine but a
heat wave I'm sure from the Iowa perspective

--
Roger Long

Old December 28th 03, 02:59 PM
C J Campbell

"It can fly at speeds up to 100 miles per hour. In fact, because of its
unique aerodynamic design, the hand-held plane actually picks up speed once
it starts soaring."

The first thing you have to ask is why it does not accelerate forever. The
answer is that it stops accelerating when it hits the ground.

"The coanda directs the airflow downward from its trailing edge,
turbocharging the internal wing and separating the airflow from the
underside of the duct top. This arrangement of airfoils reduces drag,
enhances lift and thrust output."

Most of the rest of the explanation sounds like gobbledygook, too --
something like what Acrocfi might have posted.

Old December 28th 03, 03:20 PM
Dan Luke

"Roger Long" wrote:
How about a PIREP? I've been looking at simple, out of the box RC

planes.

Bewa learning to control an RC airplane is generally reckoned to be
more difficult than learning to control a full scale airplane. Things
happen *much* faster and the direction sense of the ailerons is reversed
when the airplane turns towards you - coping with this requires a fair
amount of practice.

Not for nothing do RC clubs have instructors for newbies. If you really
want to fly models, get in touch with your local club.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old December 28th 03, 03:45 PM
Andrew Gideon

Dan Luke wrote:

"Roger Long" wrote:
How about a PIREP? I've been looking at simple, out of the box RC

planes.

Bewa learning to control an RC airplane is generally reckoned to be
more difficult than learning to control a full scale airplane. Things
happen *much* faster and the direction sense of the ailerons is reversed
when the airplane turns towards you - coping with this requires a fair
amount of practice.

When I was working my way through my PPL and a collection of CFIs, I always
told them of my experiences with RC aircraft: never a successful landing
(unless you count the stall onto a tree branch). Of course, I explained
all this on climb-out.

- Andrew

Old December 28th 03, 04:18 PM

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 09:20:45 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

Bewa learning to control an RC airplane is generally reckoned to be
more difficult than learning to control a full scale airplane. Things
happen *much* faster and the direction sense of the ailerons is reversed
when the airplane turns towards you - coping with this requires a fair
amount of practice.

What I found difficult was discerning the direction of the aircraft
from a distance when I flew a 12' wingspan model sailplane along the
cliffs of Palos Verdies, CA. Fortunately this ship wasn't so fast
that I required instruction to learn to control it.