Garmin GPSIII data output

Old January 19th 11, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob Shepherd

Default Garmin GPSIII data output

Evening all,

I'm trying to use a Garmin GPS III to provide the positioning signal for
my Cleverbox vario. I've set up the output as NMEA at a baud rate of
4800, no matter what I try, the vario still can't see the signal.

I've tried a master reset on the Garmin and my PC can see the unit,
upload/download waypoints but still no luck.

I spoke to Cleverbox who confirmed the cabling and plugs are correct but
still no joy.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Rob

Old January 19th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jon Marshall

At 17:20 19 January 2011, Rob Shepherd wrote:
Evening all,

I'm trying to use a Garmin GPS III to provide the positioning signal

for
my Cleverbox vario. I've set up the output as NMEA at a baud

rate of
4800, no matter what I try, the vario still can't see the signal.

I've tried a master reset on the Garmin and my PC can see the

unit,
upload/download waypoints but still no luck.

I spoke to Cleverbox who confirmed the cabling and plugs are

correct but
still no joy.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Rob

Rob
Have you set the interface on the Garmin to NMEA/NMEA.
jon

Old January 19th 11, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 19, 10:20*am, Rob Shepherd wrote:
Evening all,

I'm trying to use a Garmin GPS III to provide the positioning signal for
my Cleverbox vario. I've set up the output as NMEA at a baud rate of
4800, no matter what I try, the vario still can't see the signal.

I've tried a master reset on the Garmin and my PC can see the unit,
upload/download waypoints but still no luck.

I spoke to Cleverbox who confirmed the cabling and plugs are correct but
still no joy.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Rob

Since you say you have setup the Garmin output I assume that what you
have set is what the Cleverbox requires. It seems the next step would
be to verify that the box will receive an input from another GPS and/
or to verify that your GPS will drive another sink. You could perhaps
use a PC serial port and a terminal emulator to do this.

Checking the Garmin TX pin with a 'scope would tell you if it is
transmitting anything at all.

I assume you have checked the obvious - Garmin TX connected to box
RX, and not TX to TX and RX to RX. The interface should only need 2
wires - TX to RX and GND to GND.

Andy
Old January 19th 11, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob Shepherd

At 18:03 19 January 2011, Andy wrote:
On Jan 19, 10:20=A0am, Rob Shepherd wrote:
[...]

Used the TX from the Garmin to pin no.8 on the RS232 on the Cleverbox side
which is GPS input, according to the instructions. Still no joy. GPS set to
NMEA out 4800 baud rate.

Cheers
Rob

Old January 19th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Jan 19, 3:09*pm, Rob Shepherd wrote:
[...]

It's worthwhile to connect to a tty of some sort (e.g. laptop running
Hyperterminal)
to see if the datastream is showing up. I didn't get output from my
eTrex one
day and thought I'd cut my cable. Just before slicing into the cable
I remembered
setting the Garmin data mode instead, which turns off the NMEA stream.

-- Matt