USS America

Old May 25th 05, 06:51 PM
Gord Beaman

Dave in San Diego wrote:

"_" wrote in :

EISRA (free donut if you know what that spells out to)

Emergency In Service Refit Activity?????

Not even close. I'll take a few more guesses before I spell it out.

Dave

Excellence in Statistical Reporting Award
(I take cream and sugar)
--

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can,
and it must be working 'cause I'm
the oldest now that I've ever been"
Old May 25th 05, 07:18 PM

Sir you are mis-informed. As former crew member of the America I have
been following the planned sinking of the ship for a couple of years
now. Click this link for information and some letters to the USS
America Carriers Veterans Association from the Navy concerning the
planned sinkink of the ship:

http://www.ussamerica.org/final_mission.htm

It cost the Navy $22 million dollars to sink the ship.

I would suggest thst you go to navy.mil to search for USS America CV-66

Gerry Hamm USN/retired

Old May 25th 05, 07:50 PM
José Herculano

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message
. ..
"_" wrote in :

EISRA (free donut if you know what that spells out to)

Emergency In Service Refit Activity?????

Not even close. I'll take a few more guesses before I spell it out.

Dave

Extended Incremental Selected Restricted Availability.

Donut? Donut? =)'

_____________
José Herculano

Old May 25th 05, 08:08 PM

The Oriskany is being sunk as a artifical reef in shallow water. There
fore more preperation. The Navy made the offical announcment about the
America sinking in December 2004. It has been been planned for the last
couple of years. The USN spent $22 million to sink the ship.

http://www.ussamerica.org/

The men operating that site tried in vain for years to save the ship
from being sunk.
If you want the true story about what happened to the America go to the
above website. Scroll down to the links on the bottom of the page and
click on Americas final mission. On that page you will find copies of
the offical letters noting the sinking of the ship. Email the webmaster
of that page and he will send you most anything you want to know about
the sinking of that ship.

Gerry Hamm USN/retired

Old May 25th 05, 08:39 PM
Mike Kanze

Scott,

Did look. Did you?

Re-read the thread. And when you do you will find further, especially that
by Gerry Hamm.

Yes and it's taking 2 years plus on a ship less than half the size of the
America.

You are comparing apples to oranges. Different ship, built in a different
era = different contaminants. For example, there was no wooden flight deck
planking on AMERICA, thus no need to remediate that potential pollution
source. Other contaminants on AMERICA exist only in de minimus quantities
(quantities so small as not to be any hazard) or have been controlled
(through encapsulation, neutralization, etc.) over the years.

Further, ORISKANY was decommissioned and mothballed in 1976, some time
before the passage and implementation of the key pieces of environmental
legislation (RECRA, CERCLA, etc.) that most affect the use, control, and
mitigation of pollutants. So it is not surprising that, weather factors
excluded, it took ~2 years to ready ORISKANY.

...and yet the Navy is able to prepare the America for this in months

instead of years,

Wrong again, basis posts in this NG by others.

with no money or manpower explicitly budgeted?

Please cite the source for your statement that "no money or manpower [was]
explicitly budgeted."

--
Mike Kanze

"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation
between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting
done by fools and its thinking by cowards."

- Sir William Francis Butler

"Scott Peterson" wrote in message
"Mike Kanze" wrote:

I don't. Sounds as if you may have an agenda in your post.

Don't waste time looking for what's not there. It's a legitimate
question as the navy does not have a particularly good environmental
record.

Others in this NG have separately cited the length of time that the Navy
has
been preparing for this SINKEX.

Did look. Did you? It was first announced by the Navy about the
beginning of March, this year. Their announcement at that time said
that "some" materials had been removed.

If you are truly interested - and not just
trolling - do a Google search on the plans and environmental preparations
for the upcoming scuttling of the former USS ORISKANY (CV-34) as an
artificial reef off the Florida Panhandle. One example of these is the
removal of ORISKANY's wooden flight deck planking due to PCB
contamination.
This will give you perhaps the most comparable analog to what the Navy did
to prepare AMERICA.

Yes and it's taking 2 years plus on a ship less than half the size of
the America. Oriskany is also having to make two trips between
Florida and Texas to avoid hurricanes while they are working on her.

...and yet the Navy is able to prepare the America for this in months
instead of years, with no money or manpower explicitly budgeted?

--

Scott Peterson

--
After eating, do amphibians have to wait an
hour before getting out of the water?

127/612

Old May 25th 05, 10:52 PM
Scott Peterson

"Mike Kanze" wrote:

Please cite the source for your statement that "no money or manpower [was]
explicitly budgeted."

http://navweb.secnav.navy.mil/pubbud/04pres/db_u.htm

Scott Peterson

--
Kids in the back seat cause accidents;
accidents in the back seat cause kids.

260/612
Old May 26th 05, 02:11 AM
Dave in San Diego

"José Herculano" wrote in news:4294c9f0$0$24392
:

"_" wrote in :

EISRA (free donut if you know what that spells out to)
Emergency In Service Refit Activity?????

Not even close. I'll take a few more guesses before I spell it out.

Dave

Extended Incremental Selected Restricted Availability.

Donut? Donut? =)'

Ka-ching! The man wins a donut, which may be collected any time he happens
to be in San Diego, California. I'll even throw in a cup of coffee to go
with it!

Dave in San Diego
Old May 26th 05, 02:38 AM
_

"_" wrote in :

EISRA (free donut if you know what that spells out to)
Emergency In Service Refit Activity?????

Not even close. I'll take a few more guesses before I spell it out.

Dave

Extended Incremental Selected Restricted Availability.

Ok. So is that just a 'mini yard period'?

Old May 26th 05, 04:17 AM
Dave in San Diego

"_" wrote in :

EISRA (free donut if you know what that spells out to)
Emergency In Service Refit Activity?????

Not even close. I'll take a few more guesses before I spell it out.

Dave

Extended Incremental Selected Restricted Availability.

Ok. So is that just a 'mini yard period'?

As intense, but shorter. Since all of our 21 day in ports were industrial
(ISRA), the rework was a continual process. My EISRA was wet bottom, but
probably two out of three were dry bottom, and occurred about every three
years or so. I think the schedule depended partly on material condition and
leftovers from the shorter ISRAs.