US Air Force buys 19 DG-1000 trainiers

Old March 25th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default US Air Force buys 19 DG-1000 trainiers

On Mar 26, 2:53*am, John Smith wrote:
Looking at the pure acro time, glider acro is about the most expensive
acro you can buy.

Not if you have access to a decent ridge, or wave.
Old March 25th 11, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Mar 25, 3:13*pm, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Mar 26, 2:53*am, John Smith wrote:

Looking at the pure acro time, glider acro is about the most expensive
acro you can buy.

Not if you have access to a decent ridge, or wave.

And not if you have a good winch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VlRd9-wxQI (Instruments in meters,
meters/sec)
Winch launch height was limited by airspace restrictions
Old March 25th 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Mar 25, 1:56*pm, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 13:34 25 March 2011, kirk.stant wrote:

1-26s were fine in their day - but you can't do intro rides in them,
can you? *

Can't do them in an LS8 either. * My complaint is the idea that you
can't compete in a 1-26. *It's the purest form of competition, head to
head with no handicaps and no excuses (particularly when some 80-year-old
submariner like Vern Hutchinson beats you).

And if you have never done acro in a glider - ASK-21, Blanik 13AC,
Pilatus, Swift, etc.. you are missing a wonderful aspect of our sport
- and one that can be done on those days when there isn't any lift
around. *Don't knock it if you havn't tried it!

My problem is that it's so damned expensive. *Talk about a way to beat
the towplane back to the airport, this is it. *If you want to give the
cadets aerobatic experience (and I've never know the AFA to be interested
in that task) then do it in a capable aerobatic airplane.

Jim Beckman

I suggest you inform yourself about the USAFA glider program.

You might be surprised.

Then again, perhaps not.

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old March 26th 11, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 22:20 25 March 2011, kirk.stant wrote:

I suggest you inform yourself about the USAFA glider program.

You might be surprised.

Well, I've been there, talked to them, and competed against them. They
were extremely impressive young folks, and fairly good competitive pilots
(I got a mild kick out of finishing ahead of one of their officers one of
the days I was flying - part of a team).

What particularly sticks in my mind, though, is one day after
the flying (or maybe we weren't flying because of the wind)
when some of the cadets got Vern Hutchinson talking about
his experiences as a submariner in WWII. Vern did some
amazing things, including infiltrating into Tokyo harbor to
see what was going on (he was just crew, not captain or
anything like that). Those cadets were hanging on his every
word. It was something just to watch it.

My club in NJ produced a young kid glider pilot (his father was
a doctor, but didn't support Bob's gliding desires - when he
was younger, Bob bicycled quite a few miles to the glider
field, and the club sort of adopted him. He ended up at
the Academy, instructing in gliders, and was flying F-16s
over Iraq in the First Bush War.

At the time I was there, the cadets were flying a flock of 2-33s,
1-26s for competition, and some big white glass two-seater
that they trailered around. One thing you have to say for
the Schweizers, I never heard about the AFA having any trouble
with them.

Jim Beckman

Old March 26th 11, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

At 21:13 25 March 2011, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Mar 26, 2:53=A0am, John Smith wrote:
Looking at the pure acro time, glider acro is about the most expensive
acro you can buy.

Not if you have access to a decent ridge, or wave.

Acro on the ridge? Now *that* sounds dangerous. Not much ground
clearance.

Jim Beckman

Old March 27th 11, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Mar 27, 2:15*am, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 21:13 25 March 2011, Bruce Hoult wrote:

On Mar 26, 2:53=A0am, John Smith *wrote:
Looking at the pure acro time, glider acro is about the most expensive
acro you can buy.

Not if you have access to a decent ridge, or wave.

Acro on the ridge? *Now *that* sounds dangerous. *Not much ground
clearance.

In these parts we have several 1000 - 1500 ft ridges to choose from,
depending on the exact wind direction, and can often get to 2000 ft
above the top of the ridge and 3000+ ft above the flat ground upwind
of the ridge.

http://soar.co.nz/gallery/24.jpg
Old March 27th 11, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Mar 27, 2:15*am, Jim Beckman wrote:
At 21:13 25 March 2011, Bruce Hoult wrote:

On Mar 26, 2:53=A0am, John Smith *wrote:
Looking at the pure acro time, glider acro is about the most expensive
acro you can buy.

Not if you have access to a decent ridge, or wave.

Acro on the ridge? *Now *that* sounds dangerous. *Not much ground
clearance.

A fairly typical day cruising the 1500 ft high ridge 10 km NNE of our
field.

http://cs10405.vk.com/u53282174/1247...x_80699e9e.jpg

There's as likely as not to be weak wave out towards the beach too.
Old March 29th 11, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Christner

1-26s were fine in their day - but you can't do intro rides in them,
can you? *And 2-33s were (and still are) absolute junk, period. *It's
great that the cadets now have modern gliders to train and compete
in. *And a hell of a lot safer, by the way.

Hear Hear!!!!!!
Old April 29th 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

DG just published a picture of the first completed trainer doing its
maiden flight:
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/foto-11-05.html
Old April 30th 11, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67[_2_]

On Apr 29, 5:53*pm, John Smith wrote:
DG just published a picture of the first completed trainer doing its
maiden flight:http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/foto-11-05.html

One heck of a nicer ride than the Blanik L-23's that they flew
before. I wonder if they are selling them as "military surplus"? ;-)

Sikorsky buys PZL... 309 Soaring 0 January 11th 07 04:54 AM
Garmin buys UPS AT... Lenny Sawyer Instrument Flight Rules 39 August 3rd 03 07:34 PM
Garmin buys UPS AT... Lenny Sawyer Owning 39 August 3rd 03 07:34 PM
Garmin buys UPS AT... Lenny Sawyer Piloting 39 August 3rd 03 07:34 PM