Favorite Smartphone Soaring Apps

Old November 15th 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex Potter

Default Favorite Smartphone Soaring Apps

Dan Marotta wrote:

"...having to use your flight computer for an important phone call or text
message in flight
etc...)

I was under the impression that mobile phone use was strictly forbidden
during any kind of flight because of the potential to saturate any cell in
line of sight?

--
Alex
Old November 15th 11, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Nov 15, 8:11*am, "Dan Marotta" wrote:
"...having to use your flight computer for an important phone call or text
message in flight
etc...)

Pul-leeze, tell me that's a joke. *Or to you text on tow? *Or kill bikers
because you're to busy playing with the phone to look outside the car?

"Ramy" wrote in message

On Nov 14, 10:20 am, RS wrote:

On Nov 14, 9:45 am, "vaughn" wrote:

"Whiskey Delta" wrote in message

Any other thoughts that may help differentiate between the two?

Also don't entirely neglect non-soaring aviation apps. For example,
several
apps will give you in-cockpit weather radar. (Yes, connectivity in
flight is
questionable, but at least you get a last-minute picture before launch.)

Vaughn

Definitely prefer android. In addition to the ones already named,
Google My Tracks and GPS logbooks are interesting.

If you only want to use one device for phone and flight computer than
yes, Android is your best bet. However I rather have a dedicated
device for flight computer and not use it for day to day as a phone
(less chance of loosing, damaging, forgetting, having to use your
flight computer for an important phone call or text message in flight
etc). In this case iphone is my preferred choice for anything else
than flight computer. Also you want a bigger screen for flight
computer (5" like the Dell Streak seem to be ideal) but it is too big
and bulky for a phone.

Ramy- Hide quoted text -

No, this is not a joke. Occasionaly when flying XC you may need to
tell your crew who chase you were to go. A 3 word text message have
much better chance to go through than a phone call, and take no longer
than changing your MC or ballast setting on a flight computer. If your
crew can follow your spot this may no longer be needed.
But of course no one will ever use a phone in the cockpit since it is
forbidden so I guess this is theoratical only....

Ramy
Old November 15th 11, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

"Alex Potter" wrote in message
Dan Marotta wrote:

"...having to use your flight computer for an important phone call or text
message in flight
etc...)

I was under the impression that mobile phone use was strictly forbidden
during any kind of flight because of the potential to saturate any cell in
line of sight?

That depends!.I believe the FCC ban only applies to the original 800 Mhz cell
phone band.

According to Wiki:
"The use of cell phones aboard airborne planes is banned by the FCC in 47 C.F.R.
§ 22.925: "The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is
prohibited by FCC rules.... The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft
is on the ground is subject to FAA regulations." This ban applies to phones that
use the 800 MHz spectrum. Personal Communications Services (PCS) phones that use
the 1900 MHz spectrum are governed under FCC 47CFR24 and their use in aircraft
is not restricted by the FCC whether on the ground or in flight."

Actually, current cell sites have antenna technology that gives almost no signal
above the horizon. Often (perhaps generally), you will find very little signal
above 2000 feet or so. YMMV.

Vaughn

Old November 15th 11, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kammeyer

On Nov 14, 8:20*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
Whiskey Delta wrote:

There's just iGlide on the iPhone. *It's commercial, and it's decades
behind other programs.

There is also GlidePath. It is pretty much strictly a logger, but it
provides a very easy way to log and submit a flight to OLC.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glidepath/id383714417

(I am the author of GlidePath)
Old November 16th 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 11/15/2011 5:37 PM, vaughn wrote:
"Alex wrote in message
Dan Marotta wrote:

[...]

I have had trouble getting cell phone service at the top of the Empire
State building in NYC.

--
Mike Schumann
Old November 16th 11, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I can see that, though flying out west, the cell towers can be few and far
between.

I haven't done a crewed cross country in a long time and, back then, I just
relied on the radio and prior planning.

I thought you were talking about receiving calls from the girl friend or
co-workers.

Old November 16th 11, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Yeah, I have AT&T too...
Old November 16th 11, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

"Ramy" wrote in message

On Nov 14, 10:20 am, RS wrote:

On Nov 14, 9:45 am, "vaughn" wrote:

[...]

Leah and I have had good luck with in flight radio and post flight
cell phone. Although there was this one time in a dust field in NW
Kansas where reception was not so hot. Now I have a SPOT.

I did one Downwind Dash this year with a non-cellphone equipped crew.
That was fun in a vintage experience sort of way. Adds another layer
of thought processes when you know you need to have reasonable access
to a phone after you land.
Old November 17th 11, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

Dan Marotta wrote:

[...]

Regardless if it is legal or not, if you use your phone as flight
computer you need to remember to switch to airplane mode before every
flight to make sure the flight computer will not get interrupted by
phone calls, text messages, notifications etc. One more reason to have
a dedicated tablet for flight computer than using your regular
smartphone.

Ramy
Old November 17th 11, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_18_]

Regardless if it is legal or not, if you use your phone as flight
computer you need to remember to switch to airplane mode before every
flight to make sure the flight computer will not get interrupted by
phone calls, text messages, notifications etc. One more reason to have
a dedicated tablet for flight computer than using your regular
smartphone.

Ramy

All the phones are too small for my 50 year old eyes, I'm with Ramy
and prefer a dedicated glide computer. My 302 with the simple 303
display is all I ever use and I don't feel held back by lack of info.
Eventually would like to have a clear nav.

My phone is an iPhone as I'm very busy and want my devices to work
with minimum fuss.

Jim