Glider transport costs?

Old February 23rd 04, 09:49 PM
Jeremy Zawodny

Default Glider transport costs?

I've been shopping around for used gliders and one of the factors I need
to consider is how far away it is. Obviously, if it's far away, I'll
need to get someone I don't know to do the pre-buy inspection and will
pay more to get the glider to me.

My local FBO says that $1/mile is a good figure to use when estimating
the cost of getting a glider from point A to our gliderport in California.

Does that seem about right?

Also, what options are available for transport?

I've heard of hiring someone to tailer the glider. I've also heard of
folks using a freight company, where the glider trailer gets loaded onto
a trucky [preumably].

Any pros and cons to these methods?

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old February 23rd 04, 09:58 PM
Marc Ramsey

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
My local FBO says that $1/mile is a good figure to use when estimating
the cost of getting a glider from point A to our gliderport in California.

Does that seem about right?

Seems a bit high to me, but then again, I was cheap enough to drive from
the Bay Area to Colorado to pick up my first glider, to Utah for the
second, and to the port in So Cal for the third...

Marc
Old February 24th 04, 01:09 AM
Jim Phoenix

I was quoted $1.30/mile by a glider transport operator. Seemed high to me,
but considering the time it takes and cost of travel, you may have few
options. I was lucky and connected with a fellow glider-owner who was
heading west. Cost me about $.58 per mile for a 1250 mile delivery.

Jim

Old February 24th 04, 05:11 AM
Larry Johnson

Marc Ramsey wrote in message om...
Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
My local FBO says that $1/mile is a good figure to use when estimating
the cost of getting a glider from point A to our gliderport in California.

Does that seem about right?

Seems a bit high to me, but then again, I was cheap enough to drive from
the Bay Area to Colorado to pick up my first glider, to Utah for the
second, and to the port in So Cal for the third...

Marc

I drove to Montana to pick up my Russia. Cost including gas/food/hotel
was 1/2 of what it was going to cost for delivery to Reno. Go to see
the country and remember why it's called "Big Sky". Dollar/mile was
what it was me . I had the time to do it, Memorial Day Weekend-
Thursday nite leave work, back by Saturday night.Cost $600-memories,
priceless
Old February 24th 04, 05:25 AM
Jeremy Zawodny

Larry Johnson wrote:

I drove to Montana to pick up my Russia. Cost including gas/food/hotel
was 1/2 of what it was going to cost for delivery to Reno. Go to see
the country and remember why it's called "Big Sky". Dollar/mile was
what it was me . I had the time to do it, Memorial Day Weekend-
Thursday nite leave work, back by Saturday night.Cost $600-memories,
priceless

That's certainly a possibility. I have a friend who'd probably be up
for a good road trip. But the scheduling may be "intersting" so I
really need to look at shipping/towing costs.

Thanks,

Jeremy
Old February 24th 04, 05:26 PM
Ventus B

Have you considered asking the seller simply to deliver? Or to meet
you halfway? Most people who want to sell are usually willing to
compromise on delivery.
R,

Old February 24th 04, 06:33 PM
Doug Easton

I've used http://www.petersontransport.com/ to move my trailer on a
low-loader flatbed east to west; they did a good job for me. Make sure
everything is well strapped down and padded inside as the ride can be worse
than behind a tow vehicle (you may be sharing space with someone's boat and
your trailer may be at the end).

Doug

Old February 25th 04, 03:37 AM
Chet

I used Peterson as well. The cost coast to coast was very reasonable, they
picked up and delivered on time and were very considerate of what they were
transporting.

Have the glider in the trailer ready as though you were going to tow it a
long distance and all will be fine.

I cannot tell you how pleased I was with the service.

Chet

ink.net...

Old February 25th 04, 07:30 AM
Jeremy Zawodny

Chet wrote:
I used Peterson as well. The cost coast to coast was very reasonable, they
picked up and delivered on time and were very considerate of what they were
transporting.

Have the glider in the trailer ready as though you were going to tow it a
long distance and all will be fine.

I cannot tell you how pleased I was with the service.

Thanks for the transport tips guys.

One of the other folks that flies out of Hollister had his DG-800 moved
here from Michigan using a similar service and was quite happy with it.
When he's back next week I'll find out who he used too and follow-up
here in case anyone else is interested.

Jeremy

Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Glider transport West to East (USA) Jim Phoenix Soaring 0 November 14th 03 08:36 PM
Glider Transport from West to East Chet Soaring 0 September 3rd 03 09:56 PM
Need (glider&) trailer transport - Sante Fe, NM > Santa Cruz, CA, late Aug Eric Soaring 1 August 8th 03 03:21 PM