Landout Laws

Old February 26th 04, 02:09 AM
Bob Lepp

Why oh why do "the" Americans (apologies to those who don't) have such
high esteem for fighter pilots, killing and war? Isn't soaring about
peace and understanding nature? And how dare you to change the subject
line to "Zen" when you talk about war?

Stefan

What you may wish to do to understand this, as a non-American (I'm
not), is to visit Washington DC as I did today, and go to Arlington,
and visit JFK's memorial, and RFK's and the Challenger memorial, and
the Tomb of the Unknowns, and read a few of the 250,000 tombstones...
Then, stand back, close your eyes, and imagine the world (north
America, Europe, many places) as it may be today without these people
in it. We watched a 19 shot, 2 Howitzer tribute executed by a squad of
gentleman who showed absolute pride in their task. We heard of a
recent funeral wherein a B52 flew from South Dakota to Arlington just
for a flyby in respect, part of the funeral rites of a serviceman.

The 'Zen and the Art of.....' inference may come from '....Motorcycle
Maintenance' book some of us enjoyed many years ago. It speaks to the
"difference" with which two people can view exactly the same fact...
the BMW owner who has zero mechanical ability can appreciate the bike,
yet can drive a Honda owner crazy since he does not appreciate the
technology of his ride. I'm guessing some parallel to glider pilots
and how they 'handle' the concept of an outlanding. For me, I learned
nothing until I learned I had to expect an outlanding if I was to
progress. For anyone to assume an outlanding is bad judgement has not
really figured it out yet...sometimes the lift just is not where it is
expected.

Heavy stuff... we need spring!

All very serious stuff.