Glider License to Power

Old October 7th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Default Glider License to Power

Tim Leslie wrote:
The suggestion to look into motorgliding is very interesting,

The drawback of Touring Motor Gliders is that you're limited to one
passenger, and the long wings don't help if you intend to go to
unimproved remote strips, either. But TMGs are an option if you feel the
urge to "just go up somehow" in that thermalless winter season.
Old October 7th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

lameka val wrote:
not all SEL airplanes are intended for straight & level flight ;-)

There's a lot of truth in that. Serious glider aerobatics is insanely
expensive. If you look at the net aerobtics time, you can easily rent an
Extra 300 or even a Yak 52 for that money. Plus, in a power plane you
can repeat a figure over and over again without having to land and relaunch.
Old October 8th 09, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 7, 9:07*am, John Smith wrote:
lameka val wrote:
not all SEL airplanes are intended for straight & level flight ;-)

There's a lot of truth in that. Serious glider aerobatics is insanely
expensive. If you look at the net aerobtics time, you can easily rent an
Extra 300 or even a Yak 52 for that money. Plus, in a power plane you
can repeat a figure over and over again without having to land and relaunch.

Not necessarily. If there is reliable lift around, you should be able
to repeat your figures all day long.

Ramy
Old October 8th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Plus, in a power plane you
can repeat a figure over and over again without having to land and relaunch.

Not necessarily. If there is reliable lift around, you should be able
to repeat your figures all day long.

According to Les Horvath, if the lift is 4kts or less the figures can
come out as clean as one can finesse them, and without even worrying
about a vertical gust snapping your wings off while you are pulling
6+Gs or flying in the yellow arc, which can be a bit more of a concern
if the lift exceeds that by much. Glider acro rules!! (and is NOT
boring... whatsoever!) Now go get some acro training and start
pointing your wheel at the sky already

BTW, your 102 should be at least good for loops, stall turns/
hammerheads (commonly misnomenclature'd as wingovers [for those who
don't know, a wingover is on a 45deg up/down line where a hammer is on
a vertical...] ), spins, steep turns, lazy 8's, chandelles and the
occasional high speed pass.

-Paul (SZD-59 driver/roller coaster buff) Hanson

PS. acro is kind of a physical workout, so it is best not to do it all
day anyhow, although the smile may take much longer to go away...
Old October 8th 09, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

You also don't need a medical to fly motorgliders.

Mike Schumann

"jb92563" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 8:25 am, soarpilot wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am a licensed glider pilot and will be pursuing my Single Engine
Land power license this upcoming year. I was wondering if anyone in
the group has gone from Glider License only to Single Engine Land
licensing? What were the requirements, etc? Do any of the hours
transfer to the requirement of SEL? Ease / difficulties to
transition? Comments and recommendations?

I am hoping to commit the first month of this upcoming summer to
getting the license, therefore will be looking for a school that "fast
tracks" so to speak. I may also be entertaining the thought of
selling my G102 later next year if anyone might show interest. (Yes,
the spiggot ADs have been done ... lol)

Tim

Hey Tim, why not just take a day or two of "Self Launch" endorsement
and become a motor glider pilot.

I keep on getting power pilots asking me about my Grob 109
Motorglider.

They complain of the cost and lack of flying in their SEL types and
several have offered to buy or partner with me.

Just did a couple 400 mile flights to a Minden flyin, from SoCal and
back up the Owens Valley in CA and down the Central Valley of CA,
others fly XC 1000, 2000 miles and around the world in motorgliders.

Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jb92563/...eat=directlink

My Engine overhauls are less frequent(Soaring motor off) and under $5K

My plane is faster/cheaper/sexier than a Cessna 140 and can do things
and go places where other SEL should not.

I also get 35 mpg and can take a friend and some gear along....fly
camping/adventure touring.

Also, Dont sell your glider to buy power, you will likely regret it
and SEL power will cost 3x what you thought and you will get less air
time.

Unless you are considering an aviation career or extreme aerobatics.

You should expand your glider fun as driving a Cessna is like the
familly Minivan......blaaa and you just sit there while your pockets
are emptied as the miles go by.

My 2 cents,

Ray

Old October 8th 09, 06:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

However, the HUGE advantage of touring motorgliders is the ability to fly
over hostile terrain while being within final glide of an airport for the
entire trip in case of an engine failure. Two examples: crossing Lake
Michigan or flying from FL to the US Virgin Islands (flying at 12,000 ft,
you are within final glide of an airport over the entire 1,200 mile
distance). You can't do that safely in a Cessna

Mike Schumann