Help with shipping

Old October 7th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Help with shipping

Can anyone give me a idea on who to contact in order to ship my glider
from Seattle, WA area (or maybe Portland, OR) to Bremerhaven, Germany?
I ran into a brick wall. I want to ship my glider with my trailer, for
ease of transportation here and in Europe. Some of the brokers want me
to remove the glider from the trailer and ship it separate. I can not
explain to those guys what a glider is and they don't see the concept
of a glider trailer. They all are thinking it is a hang glider.
Please call me at 509 380 4106 (my cell) or email jacekkobiesa at
raypoland and sons dot com (everything is one word without any
spaces). So, if you have any idea on who to contact, please help.

Thanks for your help.

Jacek
Pasco, WA
Old October 7th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Oct 7, 2:31*pm, wrote:
Can anyone give me a idea on who to contact in order to ship my glider
from Seattle, WA area (or maybe Portland, OR) to Bremerhaven, Germany?
I ran into a brick wall. I want to ship my glider with my trailer, for
ease of transportation here and in Europe. Some of the brokers want me
to remove the glider from the trailer and ship it separate. I can not
explain to those guys what a glider is and they don't see the concept
of a glider trailer. They all are thinking it is a hang glider.
Please call me at 509 380 4106 (my cell) or email jacekkobiesa at
raypoland and sons dot com (everything is one word without any
spaces). So, if you have any idea on who to contact, please help.

Thanks for your help.

Jacek
Pasco, WA

HI Jacek,

The magic word seems to be RoRo (roll-on, roll-off). Once you say
that, the bell seems to ring. Unfortuantley, I only know an East
Coast broker who has done a few of these.

Old October 8th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig[_2_]

On Oct 7, 1:16*pm, Papa3 wrote:
On Oct 7, 2:31*pm, wrote:

[...]

Jacek,

Last time I drove through Kalama they were operating RoRos out of one
of the docks. You might give a call to the Port of Kalama and see who
is using their shipping terminal and who to contact. Otherwise,
someone might know how you could get some space in a container.

best of luck,
Craig Funston
Old October 8th 09, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I've packed many containers in many countries, including a couple of
glider shipments, and never heard of pulling the contents out of its
box to ship. Everything has a schedule B number on the Shippers Export
Declaration but can be shipped together. Try looking these up, as they
may have changed.
Glider 8801100060
Trailer 8716400000
You'll find that information for one form doesn't mean anything on
another form, and discover bits of the bureaucracy that you never
imagined. My favorite was BIS - the Bureau of Industry and Security.
Probably about to be phased out until they added the word Security.
Should just eliminate the Industry and call it BS.
If this is a permanent move, you must de-register the glider with
FAA who will send the document to the similar agency (EASA) at the
other end.
If shipping overseas temporarily, you may want to use a Carnet, which
is essentially a bonded passport for equipment.
Jim
Old October 8th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Leslie

Don't forget to have a Export Airworthiness done if you are selling it
to a buyer overseas. I think you need to check in on RORO shippers
that typically transport autos and such. I imported my Grob 102 from
England this year and found auto RORO the way to go. My glider came
over with a boat load of new BMW's and even a Lynx helicopter on a
flatbed. When you measure the trailer, measure EXACTLY and include
the tongue! The upcharage will shock you regarding adding just the
tongue length (voice of experience) after invoiced. Try Wallenius
Willhelmsan lines. I don't know if they do west coast USA but suspect
they do.

Contrary to what bondsmen want you to believe and the customs agents
who seem to be in the aforementioned's back pockets, you DO NOT have
to acquire bond services. You can do all this work yourself if you
choose to save on their outrageous fees. Just read the customs laws
and do the paperwork drill meticulously. If you get held up by a
clerk, require the clerk to get a supervisor. They have to comply
with that request. The supervisor will get you through if you have
all paperwork done. Google glider shipment overseas, there are a
couple examples to follow, it's how I was successful. If you feel
apprehensive of accomplishing this, then pay the bond.

Good luck.

Tim
(T2)

Old October 8th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 8, 6:17*am, Tim Leslie wrote:
[...]

[snip]

Lots of great advice already.

Wallenius Willhelmsan operate to the West Coast. They deliver out
little toys in their boxes all the time. They do operate RO-RO
services to Tacoma.

Darryl
Old October 8th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 7, 9:52*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote:
Can anyone give me a idea on who to contact in order to ship my glider
from Seattle, WA area (or maybe Portland, OR) to Bremerhaven, Germany?
I ran into a brick wall. I want to ship my glider with my trailer, for
ease of transportation here and in Europe.

So, going on a European glider safari?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

Thanks for your help.
Eric, no, I am not going on a European Safari. If I will go on a
Safari with my glider, it will be Namibia for sure.
The glider is just going back to the factory for some repairs and will
be shipped back to the US on the end of January.

Jacek
Pasco, WA

Europe to NA shipping ADK Soaring 0 April 29th 06 12:29 AM
SeeYou Training DVD Now Shipping Paul Remde Soaring 0 January 25th 06 09:33 PM
Info on Shipping Glider OUT of USA Ray Lovinggood Soaring 16 November 18th 05 01:57 AM
FS: Garmin 196 $550 + Shipping Daniel L. Lieberman Products 0 April 22nd 05 04:33 PM
Shipping cost Gralmk Restoration 3 December 15th 03 04:45 AM