Ventus 2 compared to Discus besides the obvious

Old April 4th 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ventus 2 compared to Discus besides the obvious

Sorry I threw the D2 in there, my error. Also I should have specified, Ventus 2b. As I am only 5' 9" in height the V2a would be ok but with a wide chest it would be tight, V2b more suitable.
I am leaning toward buying a V2b.

Many of the reports of the V1, if I may use that identifier, report the flight characteristics not flap use are what makes it tiresome to fly. The V2 as I have read does not have that same tiresome flight characteristic. Aside from flap workload is ease of handling similar between the Discus and a V2b.
I hope I am posing my query in a suitable manner to achieve resolve to my deficit of knowledge.
Dino

Old April 4th 18, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sorry I threw the D2 in there, my error. Also I should have specified, Ventus 2b. As I am only 5' 9" in height the V2a would be ok but with a wide chest it would be tight, V2b more suitable.
I am leaning toward buying a V2b.
I am asking about the flight characteristics of a Discus as a comparator to that of the V2b outside of flap use. Does the V2b have a&& biting habits.

Dino
Old April 5th 18, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Filip Bojanowski

Den onsdag den 4. april 2018 kl. 18.38.52 UTC+2 skrev :
Sorry I threw the D2 in there, my error. Also I should have specified, Ventus 2b. As I am only 5' 9" in height the V2a would be ok but with a wide chest it would be tight, V2b more suitable.
I am leaning toward buying a V2b.
I am asking about the flight characteristics of a Discus as a comparator to that of the V2b outside of flap use. Does the V2b have a&& biting habits.

Dino

Having flown both V1/2 and D1/2 I would really recommend the V2 if price permits (if choice is between D1 and V2). V2 is miles better than a D1 performance-wise and in pretty much every other area.

But as with most flapped ships, you need to fly fast when cruising to get the most out of it. Otherwise just get the D2, at best l/d there is practically no difference between D2 and V2.

Talking V2b specifically you should be careful during landing as the airbrake handle is quite close to the flap handle. There is a risk of freeing the flap when adjusting the airbrakes, resulting in flaps going to full negative causing a quite heavy landing.

I would suggest gripping the airbrake with a grip from above. This is only an issue in the V2b or V2c, as the V2a has airbrake in a different position where it is a non-problem.

Flight-wise the V2 flies easily, is easy to launch and land. The V2 ironed out the handling issues with the V1.

If you can get a newer model with an X go for that. The X fuselage is the newer discus2-derived fuselage, has new tail-section, tailplane and winglets.. A lot of "old" v2a owners got their tails replaced at the SH factory to the newer model.

If you have competition aspirations get the V2ax. But if you are looking for the best possible thermal handling for 15m/std a LS6 or LS8 beats any SH glider by a mile. The 2-3% edge that D2/V2 has is not worth it money-wise unless you are in it for competitions (in my opinion).

PS. assembly tip for any SH glider: Pull the airbrake handle and check if there is a hole in the airbrake guiding rod. The assembly pin (used for the tail etc.) should fit nicely there, blocking the airbrake from closing completely so you dont have to fight the over-centering mechanism when putting on the wings.
Old April 5th 18, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

I am reading a lot of comments of the flapped V2 having a significant edge on performance. This may be true in very strong conditions. For average European competition weather conditions I tend to disagree.

In the 2012 qualifying competition at Hockenheim both Standard and 15m classes were tasked the same to compare the performance differences. Comparing the average speed of the podium finishers results in 101km/h for the Standard class and 100km/h for the 15m class. Unfortunately there were only three days with speed finishes, so the numbers are surely not fully representative. Nonetheless, the first impression is that the performance difference can only be marginal. https://www.strepla.de/scs/public/overview.aspx?cID=171

In last years German Nationals in the 15m class, a D2a placed second of 35 participants, narrowly missing the title of German Champion on the last day..
https://www.strepla.de/scs/Public/sc...in g=20170714

From my experience team flying with an ASG29 15m with an LS8 it takes speeds in excess of 170km/h to really start noticing a difference.

In my opinion the best argument for flaps is: it's more fun!
Old April 5th 18, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 11:54:03 AM UTC+1, Alex wrote:
[...]

From my experience team flying with an ASG29 15m with an LS8 it takes speeds in excess of 170km/h to really start noticing a difference.

In my opinion the best argument for flaps is: it's more fun!

The best argument for flaps is that you can fly at about 100lbs heavier than a same class unflapped glider and still climb as well in thermals. Then the the extra wing loading in the cruise gives you some free bonus speed.
Old April 5th 18, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jeff Morgan, I found a read your post. It was a good read with great responses.
Congratulations to you on the V2 purchase.
Dino