XCSoar wind calculation

Old September 27th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default XCSoar wind calculation

BTW, on Friday I was flying with LK8000a9 and noticed that while I was
thermaling the wind was being reported as 4 kts @ 260-270, but after I'd
been in cruise for a while it had switched to 11 kts @ 350. This switch
was consistent through the flight. The IGC trace shows that the
thermaling wind parameters were correct, so no surprise there.

Has anybody else seen this happening and, if so, which version were you
running? I'm curious to know whether its LK8000 specific or if it affects
the main branch code (5.2.3 / 5.2.4) as well.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old September 27th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Martin,
there were no changes for wind calculations in the code, and
normally we found the wind calculation in xcsoar to be very accurate while
thermalling...but only if we have a good and correct position reporting from
gps. It has come to my attention the fact that there is an important problem
with the 31X gps (made for car navigation, and not for air navigation).
I am trying to fix it adjusting internal parameters in the Sirf-Titan
chipset, but it's not trivial.
Since the problem does not appear in straight flight, I'm going to add wind
calculation for straight flying which should solve the problem once forever.
Otherwise, check your gps antenna if you are not using a 31X.

paolo

Old September 27th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 14:52:10 +0000, PCool wrote:

Hi Paolo,

There were no changes for wind calculations in the code, and
normally we found the wind calculation in xcsoar to be very accurate
while thermalling...but only if we have a good and correct position
reporting from gps.

Thanks for confirmation that there are no forks in the wind calculation
code.

I wouldn't expect wind calculations in cruise to be as good as my C4
since it has TAS to work with (pitot+static and an internal altimeter,
hence TAS), but I was somewhat disturbed by the 90 degree wind direction
switching and the accompanying 50% variation in reported wind speed.

Otherwise, check your gps antenna if you are not using a 31X.

It seems OK - I've never had GPS drop-outs in flight though most (all?)
XCSoar log files have at least one irregular log interval reported by
EWView when I'm reviewing the flight.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 1st 09, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Adam

On Sep 27, 9:52*am, "PCool" wrote:
[...]

Can anyone explain why my wind calculation always reads "0". I can set
it manually but cannot seem to get the autocalc to work. My old setup
on another PDA worked fine.

Thanks in advance!
Adam
Old October 1st 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Sep 30, 7:28*pm, Adam wrote:
On Sep 27, 9:52*am, "PCool" wrote:

[...]

Adam- Hide quoted text -

From "config" to "setup system" go to page 5 "Glide Computer". The
Auto Wind is probably set to 'manual'. I use 'Both' (zigzag and
circling) but anything other than 'manual' will make it change
automatically.
Old October 1st 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Abigel Edward

Default Dear Sir.

Dear Sir.

How are you sir hope everything is moving well.
My name is Abigel Edward i am 19 years old from ivory coast west
Africa,Sir i am requesting for your assistance for an investiment in your
country which i will want my money to be transferd to your account for an
investment pupose, if you are willng to assist me and my brother to come
over to you after the money most have been to your account i will be very
very greaful and will uplift you more and more.we are orphans and we
don't know what to do with this money which our late father left before
he died that is why we need your advice and to gueide us so that our
$7.5million dollars will not lost in a wroung hand.I will be waiting for
your Urgent respons.

This is my private email contact me here for an easy commucations

Thanks and God bless you.

Sincerly
Abigel Edward

Old October 1st 09, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 22:16:51 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Following myself up: it turns out I'd left wind calculations configured
as 'Both' in a PNA, which lacks ASI connections or a compass. Dave Salmon
gave me the pointer to figuring this out. I've now changed the wind
calculation setting to 'circling' but have yet to fly with the new
configuration. I was surprised (but probably should not have been) that
the PNA default is 'Both'.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 1st 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 04:30:12 -0700, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

From "config" to "setup system" go to page 5 "Glide Computer". The Auto
Wind is probably set to 'manual'. I use 'Both' (zigzag and circling)
but anything other than 'manual' will make it change automatically.

It defaulted to 'both', which is odd since its a vanilla PNA and the
zigzag calculation is described as needing ASI input. I've changed it to
'Circling' but not flown with it since then.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old October 1st 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

PNA version behaves exactly ad PDA version concerning the wind, and also
concerning the configuration of wind.
I guess it hasn't been touched since years.
The fact that wind is not calculated means that either you are not
thermalling with a constant bank angle, or that there is a very strong wind,
or - most probably - that your gps is not passing correct positions to the
software due to an antenna problem (weak signal reception, sufficient with
no banking, but not sufficient while thermalling with high bank angles).
Hp310-314 has this problem for instance.
Having "both" will not make any difference since if there is no ASI input
the zigzag is not calculated, and in any case zigzag and circling are "both"
used in case you select "both" (of course!).

Our investigations on this matter showed that using an external SirfIII
bluetooth antenna made the problem of "no wind" disappear.
We still have to understand if that's because of the position of the
antenna, or the quality of the chipset inside the gps receiver.
In either case, that was not a software problem.

If you use some other software, you may have a wind calculation no matter if
data from gps is wrong. Of course this calculation IS wrong.
The difference in this case is the fact that xcs has a quite good filtering
algorithm that will not parse spurious data.

Paolo

"Martin Gregorie" ha scritto nel messaggio

From "config" to "setup system" go to page 5 "Glide Computer". The Auto