Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

Old August 11th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

Default Trig TT21 Transponder ... reports?

I really can't say how they are all being used but to be honest, I doubt
it.ADSB isn't high on anyone's list yet
it may be in the future, but I doubt you'll see any real movement to this
direction until and if the FAA demands it....we are all interested in
safety.to an extent...until it starts reaching into our wallets..then we
typically look for toys first...fun to play with stuff.....then ...
tim
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
On 8/10/2010 7:37 AM, Grider Pirate wrote:
On Aug 9, 4:09 pm, "Tim wrote:
I am one of the TRIG dealers so take this as you will......but I've
delivered so far about 40 of these...had only one that had an issue that
know of and it was a user error that cause the failure..and best of all,
it
was simply replaced by our distributor, no questions asked for a brand
new
one.....so from what I can see these have been absolutely excellent so
far.....and support have been 1st class...I'm still selling and
delivering
them now and have not seen any reason not to continue!
Tim Mara

Thanks Tim.

Are any of them interfaced with a GPS navigation source and being used for
ADS-B out?

--
Mike Schumann

signature database 5356 (20100810) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5356 (20100810) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old August 11th 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_3_]

I believe I started the thread storm about the TT21. After having a United
737 pass directly below me by about 300'-500' while thermaling, I decided it
was time to install a transponder. Since my plane is certified
Experimental-Amatuer built, I didn't believe I was constrained by the lack
of a TSO for the TT-21, so I ordered one, installed it, and had it certified
for operation.

I have been very happy. I've seen airliners routing around me on several
occasions since install it. With an CA302 & Tasman varios, Microair Radio
recieving, Oudie, and the TT21 replying to queries while sitting on the
ground, my current draw is about 600ma.

John Scott

Old August 11th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_3_]

I have not enabled the ADS-B out, for all of the reasons listed in the
replies, however, having the ability to do it in the future, when it makes a
little more sense, was a significant factor in my selecting the TT21.

Also, I'm using the TT21 with a L2 dipole antenna mounted vertically on the
forward bulkhead of my glider (ahead of my feet. Seems to work really well.
The transmisson pattern has me flying in the center (very small hole) of a
really big donut.

John

.. .

Old August 12th 10, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 11, 3:54*pm, "John Scott" wrote:
I believe I started the thread storm about the TT21. *After having a United
737 pass directly below me by about 300'-500' while thermaling, I decided it
was time to install a transponder. *Since my plane is certified
Experimental-Amatuer built, I didn't believe I was constrained by the lack
of a TSO for the TT-21, so I ordered one, installed it, and had it certified
for operation.

I have been very happy. *I've seen airliners routing around me on several
occasions since install it. *With an CA302 & *Tasman varios, Microair Radio
recieving, Oudie, and the TT21 replying to queries while sitting on the
ground, my current draw is about 600ma.

John Scott

I know John knows this, but to be ultra clear to others the Trig TT-21
has since received TSO approval for a Mode S transponder.

BTW like most ADS-B data-out devices currently in use its currently at
the old "-A" standards level and I expect a firmware update to make
them "-B" (i.e. DO-260B) complaint to meet the FAA carriage mandate.
Trig also tells me that firmware updates will an indication that the
GPS source is feeding the ADS-B and the ability to set the transmitter
capability code bits to describe if your aircraft has a UAT or 1090ES
receiver. Currently you can only set the "1090ES" bit. Trig gets
credit for making that setting so easy to do, its not clear other
transponder vendors are/will be.

In addition to the FAA flying Trig transponder for ADS-B survey work I
though that there was at least one Trig transponders flying in a
glider with 1090ES data out today but since the pilot is being quiet
maybe its not. I do know several owners interested in playing. The
hold up on the west coast is lack of ADS-B ground infrastructure and
anybody having an ADS-B receiver to play with. I think once some geeks
get PowerFLARMs in their hands there will be more reason to play
around with the TT-21 and ADS-B data-out.

Darryl
Old August 18th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Vacation made me late for this thread. Mike Schumann was curious if
any Trig transponders were "interfaced with a GPS navigation source
and being used for ADS-B out", and Darrl thought that there was one in
a glider, in addition to the FAA installation.

I've had my Trig TT21 flying with 1090ES data-out for just over a
year. The GPS source is my Volklogger, and the GPS Integrity Level is
set to Low. The VFR transponder check verified that squitters were
being sent.

I plan to have the Trig's firmware upgraded soon, so it'll be possible
to turn on the 1090ES data-in capability bit. That way, when my
PowerFLARM arrives, I'll be set to look at ADS-B traffic around me -
and also set to receive TIS-B traffic when PowerFLARM updates their
firmware in the summer of 2011.

-John
Old August 18th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 18, 10:04*am, jcarlyle wrote:
Vacation made me late for this thread. Mike Schumann was curious if
any Trig transponders were "interfaced with a GPS navigation source
and being used for ADS-B out", and Darrl thought that there was one in
a glider, in addition to the FAA installation.

I've had my Trig TT21 flying with 1090ES data-out for just over a
year. The GPS source is my Volklogger, and the GPS Integrity Level is
set to Low. The VFR transponder check verified that squitters were
being sent.

I plan to have the Trig's firmware upgraded soon, so it'll be possible
to turn on the 1090ES data-in capability bit. That way, when my
PowerFLARM arrives, I'll be set to look at ADS-B traffic around me -
and also set to receive TIS-B traffic when PowerFLARM updates their
firmware in the summer of 2011.

-John

John, thanks now it rings a bell, it was you I was thinking of for
having 1090ES data-out.

Thanks

Darryl
Old August 19th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

On Aug 18, 10:04*am, jcarlyle wrote:
Vacation made me late for this thread. Mike Schumann was curious if
any Trig transponders were "interfaced with a GPS navigation source
and being used for ADS-B out", and Darrl thought that there was one in
a glider, in addition to the FAA installation.

I've had my Trig TT21 flying with 1090ES data-out for just over a
year. The GPS source is my Volklogger, and the GPS Integrity Level is
set to Low. The VFR transponder check verified that squitters were
being sent.

I plan to have the Trig's firmware upgraded soon, so it'll be possible
to turn on the 1090ES data-in capability bit. That way, when my
PowerFLARM arrives, I'll be set to look at ADS-B traffic around me -
and also set to receive TIS-B traffic when PowerFLARM updates their
firmware in the summer of 2011.

-John

I thought the only disadvantage of 1090ES vs UAT was that the former
couldn't receive TIS-B traffic. If it's true then why wouldn't the
ultimate future-proofed solution be a TT21/22 and a PowerFlarm. You
can get them both within a few months and the will provide the best
coverage through the transition. That plus with 1090ES being
mandatory in 2020 for big iron you have optimal solutions against the
two scariest threats (other gliders because of the density and
proximity issues in remote locations and airliners because hitting one
of those is a buzz-kill for the whole sport). At the same time you get
PCAS to cover all the slow adopters. Plus you get integration into
glider nav systems and glider-specific collision modeling.

What did I miss?

9B
Old August 19th 10, 04:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

On 8/18/2010 8:32 PM, Andy wrote:

I thought the only disadvantage of 1090ES vs UAT was that the former
couldn't receive TIS-B traffic. If it's true then why wouldn't the
ultimate future-proofed solution be a TT21/22 and a PowerFlarm. You
can get them both within a few months and the will provide the best
coverage through the transition. That plus with 1090ES being
mandatory in 2020 for big iron you have optimal solutions against the
two scariest threats (other gliders because of the density and
proximity issues in remote locations and airliners because hitting one
of those is a buzz-kill for the whole sport). At the same time you get
PCAS to cover all the slow adopters. Plus you get integration into
glider nav systems and glider-specific collision modeling.

What did I miss?

The included IGC logger.

--

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

Old August 19th 10, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Aug 18, 8:32*pm, Andy wrote:
[...]

Andy you were thinking of FIS-B (not TIS-B) only being provided by a
UAT receiver. FIS-B is weather, TFR, NOTMAM etc. basically like XM
weather (free but not quite as capable, at least today).... And you
can't have that in a contest even if you want it. :-)

BTW ADS-B products used in contests are going to be "interesting" for
the poor CD to deal with, ... not just worry about somebody getting
weather reports. I'd expect Flarm to have that though out given their
existing "stealth mode" and logging of that mode setting. Any other
ADS-B receiver being proposed into contest glider cockpits would needs
some form of similar setting, and either a tamper proof way to set
that on the ground or a way to log if a pilot changes it. I don't see
that ever happening with a GA device and if the ADS-B receiver (like
the Mire UAT prototype) is relying on a serial data link and an
external device like a PDA running third party traffic display/warning
software then it's probalby hard to make that not easily hackable. And
every third party software package reading that data would need to
have settings/ways of checking known and trusted by rules committees/
contest directors. The smarts that does the "stealth mode" selective
filtering/fuzzying up of received data really needs to live within the
box, effectively also meaning that the alert software also needs to
live within that box and not on an external system --as you probalby
need the alert system having access to the raw unfuzzied/unfiltered
data.

Darryl