A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Race timer

Old March 29th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

I have not been very happy with the timers I have seen for sale, and am wondering what features racers are looking for in a semi-simple timer.

I would like the following:

Dual display that always shows the time of day in smaller numbers, and then in larger numbers shows a count down timer

Three buttons on top labeled 10, 5, 2 that start a count down timer for that number of minutes. Usually the CD will announce "ten minutes to gate open", etc. and you hit the "10" button. I would use the "2" button if I had to restart and needed to remain inside the start gate for 2 minutes. Possibly multiple rapid clicks of the button would give you multiples of the button time.

an audible alarm when the count down timer finishes, and it switches to a count up timer.

Your thoughts?
Old March 29th 18, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 3:52:35 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
I have not been very happy with the timers I have seen for sale, and am wondering what features racers are looking for in a semi-simple timer.

I would like the following:

Dual display that always shows the time of day in smaller numbers, and then in larger numbers shows a count down timer

Three buttons on top labeled 10, 5, 2 that start a count down timer for that number of minutes. Usually the CD will announce "ten minutes to gate open", etc. and you hit the "10" button. I would use the "2" button if I had to restart and needed to remain inside the start gate for 2 minutes. Possibly multiple rapid clicks of the button would give you multiples of the button time.

an audible alarm when the count down timer finishes, and it switches to a count up timer.

Your thoughts?

Maybe something like this?

https://www.highgravitybrew.com/stor...vent-p9752.htm
Old March 29th 18, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

The one "flyb" provided a link to looks like a good, cheap solution to your requirements. Alternatively, if you fly with a PDA or smart-phone, there are several apps that most likely provide what you need. Not sure if any alarm would be loud enough for you to hear, however. I do have 2-3 timers that might also be suitable, similar/identical to the 2 bottom units at https://us.vwr.com/store/product/598737/timers
If they still work, I can send you them and you keep the one you want FOC.
Old March 30th 18, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 2:52:35 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:

Three buttons on top labeled 10, 5, 2 that start a count down timer for that number of minutes. Usually the CD will announce "ten minutes to gate open", etc. and you hit the "10" button.

Just a caution on this from someone who almost got skunked by it. CD announces the time the task will open. That is the only time that matters. His 10, 5 or other calls do not make a bit of difference. If his watch is off, you will be off. Note the time announced, and be aware of that.

My story. Storms building on course towards the first turnpoint. Circling in lift near the edge of the cylinder. CD announces "Task is Now Open". I wasn't looking at actual time, but was relying on CD to be "right". Took one more insurance time turn under the top and inside, then zoomed up and finished the climb before heading towards the growing storm. Guess what? I started about 5 seconds before the gate opened via GPS time.

I talked with the scorer, told him what had happened, and asked him to check the CDs watch with official GPS time. I told him how much I thought his watch was off. I was within 2 seconds. I was given a valid start and learned a lesson.

You can use the 2 minute timer, but read what Garret said and make sure you don't start that timer until your LOGGER says you are below the top of the start cylinder. Got myself a start penalty by finding out after the fact that my logger had increasing error with increasing altitude and was reporting my altitude as about 150 or so feet higher than pressure altitude at top of start gate height for that contest. Lesson: If you are going to cut things that close, know your equipment inside and out, forwards, and backwards.

Steve Leonard
Old March 30th 18, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

Yep,

I just set one of the nav boxes on my Oudie etc. to the current time and generally ignore the "countdown" radio calls from the CD.

Steve had an awfully nice scorer!

Old March 30th 18, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

I think if the CD says "task is NOW open" (rather than "task opens at 1:15pm") then that should mean NOW!
Old March 30th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

Is this the same thing? Funny, looks almost the same, but the left and right buttons are swapped. Ebay items 273100212343, 291527624996 and 253494601178

On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 4:31:47 PM UTC-4, wrote:

Maybe something like this?

https://www.highgravitybrew.com/stor...vent-p9752.htm

Old March 30th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Race timer

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 12:00:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I think if the CD says "task is NOW open" (rather than "task opens at 1:15pm") then that should mean NOW!

It was a long time ago (2001), and only a regionals.