AIRNAV not publishing fuel prices...

Old January 31st 04, 01:36 AM
Mike Rapoport

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:j4ySb.191013$na.317880@attbi_s04...

He said it didn't matter -- so I put him in our smallest suite for a
whopping $47.95. Then, of course, after check-in he started bitching that
there was no "airplane stuff" in his suite.

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Now everyone here will feel like a sucker if they pay one penney more! :-)

Mike
MU-2

Old January 31st 04, 02:24 AM
Tony Cox

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

He said it didn't matter -- so I put him in our smallest suite for a
whopping $47.95. Then, of course, after check-in he started bitching that
there was no "airplane stuff" in his suite.

I've just the thing for your budget customers.

How about a selection of fine O470 engine mounts,
out-of-spec rockers & worn-out valves? You can
put them in the corner next to a vintage bucket of
used Aeroshell 100+ with matching hacked-up oil
filter, or sprinkle them around the floor. Your choice.

There. Fine old 'airplane stuff'. Feel free to pick them
up next time you're in Las Vegas.

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old January 31st 04, 02:36 AM
Jay Honeck

Now everyone here will feel like a sucker if they pay one penney more! :-)

Any one is welcome to our smallest suite for that price -- just $47.95.
(Plus the Gubmint's share, of course...)

Even at that ridiculous price, you'll STILL get a 300 square foot suite
(bigger than the Sheraton's LARGEST suite), with a full kitchen, breakfast
bar, queen-sized bed, and delivered breakfast basket -- the best deal you'll
ever find, anywhere.

Just don't expect new furniture, carpeting, window treatments, cool aviation
artwork, or any sort of memorabilia!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 04, 02:38 AM
Jay Honeck

How about a selection of fine O470 engine mounts,
out-of-spec rockers & worn-out valves? You can
put them in the corner next to a vintage bucket of
used Aeroshell 100+ with matching hacked-up oil
filter, or sprinkle them around the floor. Your choice.

Got a bunch of that stuff in the lobby already, Doc Tony.

Well, no oil, though... Mary wouldn't let me have it...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 04, 02:40 AM
Jay Honeck

Holy cow, Jay! Even in Iowa City a suite -- ANY suite -- for under 50
bucks
a night has got to be a great deal, especially with breakfast included.
What do you do, charge extra for the towels?

And that "little" suite, at that price, is bigger than the largest suite our
competitor has to offer -- at three times the money.

And it has a full kitchen.

We offer value. That's what we're all about. :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 31st 04, 03:14 AM
Geoffrey Barnes

Just ask Mike Busch formerly (probably because of this very issue) of
Avweb.

You mean the Mike Busch who just started writing a montly column for AvWeb?
He's not "formerly" anything there. He had a very close call with a nasty
bout of cancer, and was focused on beating that for a while. But now he's
cancer free and back into aviation again.

Old January 31st 04, 03:36 AM
jg

Paulo,

Thank you for the excellent service you have been providing over the years.

I read the posts and understand your need for revenue. I was thinking that
if you continued to charge the businesses listing on your site and that did
not provide sufficient revenue, and before you took the step of charging
users a yearly fee you might consider a voluntary donation system. I for one
would find it easy to justify sending in x amount of dollars ( $10, $20 )
to help keep the site going. This system would also allow for people who
have a bigger budget or are simply more generous to send in more money if
the want to. Good luck.

Jon

"Paulo Santos" wrote in message
om...
Folks,

I normally don't follow Usene. It is fun, but I just don't have the
time. So pardon my late entry into this thread. [Thanks, Victor, for
telling me about the thread.]

Old January 31st 04, 05:33 AM
Doug

Those with high prices will not want their prices to be listed. Those
with low prices are too cheap (poor) to pay to list their prices.
Accurate information will disappear. I think he should sell ads.
That's it. Or perhaps charge a subscription, though I question if all
us pilots would fork over anything.

I for one do not change my routes to obtain cheap gas. I stop where
convenient. At lunch I want a resturant on the field, if not I want to
borrow a courtesy car and go to a cafe. For evening stop I want a
hotel that will pick me up and drop me off. I don't want to navigate a
rental car to/from the hotel or pay the rental car fee. I only rent a
car when I need to do business or sightseeing nearby. I do shop gas
around my nearby airport, I know where the cheap gas is near here. The
service is of limited value to me. But I do know that others differ
and plan their flights based on it.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:IQeSb.51817$U%5.286038@attbi_s03...
One other issue I have with Airnav's new direction is what will
Paulo do about a crappy business that offers poor service or rips off
customers? If they pay their advertising fee, do they get negative
comments removed from their listing? If not, why would they pay?

I've wondered about that myself. Actually, I've always wondered how Paulo
has survived putting negative comments on his website, without getting sued.

There are some pretty graphic and acidic posts about some businesses.
Someone with a mouth-piece and deep pockets could make Paulo's life very
uncomfortable.

Right after we bought the hotel, I found a bad review of our place on
AirNav. It was, of course (!), from before we bought the place, and was a
really nasty one, written by a guy who claimed that he was "told by a
line-guy to avoid the place."

Paulo of course removed it from his site when he heard we were the new
owners, but THAT'S the kind of third-hand slander that could really get him
in hot water, IMHO.

I feel for Paulo. He's operated this website full-time for a couple of
years, basically "on the house." Now that he's trying to actually make a
buck, everyone is down his throat. I say if an FBO is too damned cheap to
pay for their listing, that alone says enough to me that I will avoid the
place.

Old January 31st 04, 05:45 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Now everyone here will feel like a sucker if they pay one penney more!

:-)

Any one is welcome to our smallest suite for that price -- just $47.95.
(Plus the Gubmint's share, of course...)

Even at that ridiculous price, you'll STILL get a 300 square foot suite
(bigger than the Sheraton's LARGEST suite), with a full kitchen, breakfast
bar, queen-sized bed, and delivered breakfast basket -- the best deal

you'll
ever find, anywhere.

Just don't expect new furniture, carpeting, window treatments, cool

aviation
artwork, or any sort of memorabilia!

:-)

Does that include the indoor toilet option?

Old January 31st 04, 01:36 PM
Jay Honeck

Does that include the indoor toilet option?

For just ten bucks a night more...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

spaceship one Pianome Home Built 169 June 30th 04 05:47 AM
AIRNAV not publishing fuel prices... Bob Fry General Aviation 1 February 1st 04 03:47 AM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Pumping fuel backwards through an electric fuel pump Greg Reid Home Built 15 October 7th 03 07:09 PM
Web site for fuel prices? Frode Berg Owning 3 July 11th 03 02:38 PM