Is Dave Touretzky a reckless pilot?

Old March 2nd 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.marketplace

Default Is Dave Touretzky a reckless pilot?

Please read this:

=======================
Subject: David Touretzky, Chapter 7

Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:48:41 MDT

I tracked down some friends of Hank Wan, the under grad student who
committed suicide in 1994. At first they were reluctant to talk to me
about Hank, but when I emailed them the article that I'd found on
Google from March 2004, and acquainted them with the catalog of racist
statements Touretzky has made, quite a number of them called me back
and told their stories.

One for one they told me that Hank had expressed his distress with
Touretzky's treatment of him. They believe that the March 1994 Usenet
article refers to Touretzky because Hank mentioned his name so many
times to them.

Hank was quite disturbed about being exploited by Touretzky. According
to Hank, Touretzky was using students to do most of his work but
Touretzky would take the credit for what his students had done giving
them just brief mention in final research papers. I was told by Hank's
colleagues that Hank increasingly felt that Touretzky was lazy because
he showed up for work at odd hours, didn't appear to keep to a regular
schedule and would hardly pay any attention to what his assistants had
to say. One of Hank's associates related a particular instance
regarding a time Hank needed to talk to Touretzky about something
important. He went up to see him in his office but he was not there.
The associate said Hank found Touretzky's office was a complete mess,
had empty diet Pepsi cans and other garbage scattered all over the
office, that it reeked of the odors of someone camping in a cave.

Hank said that Touretzky was not much liked by most of his students
but that they were very reticent to openly express grievances to him
or to CMU because they feared retaliation. Hank said most of the
students thought that Touretzky was an asshole whose arrogance put off
and intimidated them. One example given was that no one dared
contradict him in writing or compiling computer code even though a
number of the students had superior programming skills characterizing
Touretzky's as "obsolete".

Hank told them that Touretzky was primarily focused on generating more
funds for his "research" which resulted in constant grinding pressure
on his students to produce papers he could use in his grant requests.

I haven't had time to write everything these people told me (I am
still going through my phone notes), but I will post more information
in upcoming chapters.

More to come.

Harold in Harlem
=====================

Below are two more links on Dave Touretzky.

A website of a woman, upset that she was sexually harassed with a
letter containing a porn shop envelope on name of David Touretzky,
including copies of porn toys. The invoice clearly indicates that he
makes these porn toy purchases from his CMU office, and the woman
complained that her websites informing about that were censored.

http://www.thunderstar.net/~Schwarz/

A website of a group interested in protecting religious rights, e.g.
informing about David Touretzky having bomb instructions on the net,
his racial remarks, and his other very questionable activities.

http://www.religiousfreedomwatch.org...uretzky00.html