Flapped Glider Recommendations...

Old January 8th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Flapped Glider Recommendations...

On Jan 8, 3:02 am, Clint wrote:
I notice you havn't got the ASW 20 on your list? The combination of

ASW-20's still seem to go for a decent chunk of change. Yes it had the
best performance for its day; but people seem to think that its still
worth a fair amount of money ($30k - $40k) despite its age, manual
hookups, etc.

If it were within my budget (i.e. say $28k) then I'd strongly consider
an ASW-20; but I haven't seen any going for that low of an amount.

--Noel

Old January 8th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Not a bird of the same flock, but how about a Pilatus B4 ? Goes for
around 16K +/- Metal ship, lots of fun, and you can leave it tied
out.
Doug
Old January 8th 08, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Jan 8, 8:50 am, "
wrote:
Not a bird of the same flock, but how about a Pilatus B4 ? Goes for
around 16K +/- Metal ship, lots of fun, and you can leave it tied
out.
Doug

Doug -

Thanks, but my Russia is no trouble at all to rig; so a metal glider I
can tie out isn't a compelling argument to me. Also, it has a similar
sink-rate and almost the same glide. If I'm going to pay the taxes
and fees to switch gliders, I really want around 38:1 or better, as I
feel that performance jump would justify the expenditure. An increase
of only 2 or 3 points in glide over my AC-4 is not enough.

Someone suggested a used 13m Apis (36:1), and that is tempting. We
already have 2 locally and they do quite well. Its right on the
bubble in terms of the amount of performance I want; but sadly I think
the limited availability plus the high cost of a new one (again with
the damn weak dollar) will push the sales price of a used Apis 13m out
of my budget anyways.

Take care,

--Noel
Old January 8th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

I owned a reasonably nice PIK-20B for a few years. It was the carbon
winged version and was easy to rig. The trailer wasn't all that great,
but could easily have been improved. I did a few things to it to make
it easier. I seldom spent more than 20 minutes rigging it including
taping and a positive control check. I agree with the previous poster
that they are about the best bang for the buck, if you can find a nice
one. Probably the very best thing about a PIK is the polyurethane
finish. Mine was still in excellent shape after 32 years. No gel coat
to crack and craze.

Jack
Old January 8th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

noel.wade wrote:
On Jan 8, 8:50 am, "
wrote:
Not a bird of the same flock, but how about a Pilatus B4 ? Goes for
around 16K +/- Metal ship, lots of fun, and you can leave it tied
out.
Doug

Doug -

Thanks, but my Russia is no trouble at all to rig; so a metal glider I
can tie out isn't a compelling argument to me.

Others may not agree, but IME the Pilatus isn't all that easy to rig.
I've assisted to rig the local one a few times. Its not difficult but it
is finicky. The fit between the wing pickup points and the drag links is
only a few thou, so it takes jiggling to get the wings in place and
while this is going on the people on the tips MUST NOT lower them or the
non-removable lower surface root fairings get bent and the pilot will
not be a happy bunny. Like an ASH-25 or a G103, its a glider I'm happy
to avoid rigging.

Add that to your list: as well as a good trailer (tows well, is dry, is
easy to rig and de-rig from) the glider should not be one that people
avoid having to rig.

In a similar vein, I reckon that ASW-19, 20, Pegase and LS gliders rig
easily while a Discus is harder. IOW, generally I prefer dual wing pin
systems because the first wing can't get punted out by the second.
Notable exceptions are Libelles and Kestrels: these are all single pin
systems but the spar stubs are fully exposed so you can see exactly
what's going on rather than groveling inside the fuselage/peering
through holes while trying to get the alignment right. The unusual
Mosquito / mini-Nimbus system with its single load bearing pin at one
side of the fuselage is pretty easy to rig too.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 8th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Thomas

if you can find one a Hornet, basicaly a mosquito fuselage
and libelle wings, full auto connect controls, solid
38/1, slightly dissapointing 2 part canopy, but if
you were realy lucky a C with carbon spars and lighter
wings and the Mosquito canopy. mine goes fine in your
English conditions

LS1f also 38/1

Speed Astir, decent gel, scratch well, not auto connect

DG100/101, very good in weak conditions, good gel

all 38.1

of the older flapped gliders the LS3/a is probably
the best in weak conditions

later Pegasus (90) have auto connects

possibly A ventus B or C 15m with the right winglets

Pete

At 22:07 08 January 2008, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Old January 9th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

OK, how's this for a switcheroo (hijacking my own thread!) - A couple
of people here stated that they thought I wouldn't see much of a
performance difference by going to a flapped ship in weak conditions.
A couple of local pilots with decades of experience have now also said
that. There's still a mental appeal to me in having a "complex"
glider - but if it'll get me a newer or nicer aircraft, I'm open to
the idea of a Standard-Class ship instead.

I've had a private email from someone suggesting an SZD-55 as a good
option (though I don't know if they'd be within my $30k budget limit).

Any other thoughts on what I could get in the Standard class for
around $25k - $30k? Priorities are still 38:1 minimum L/D, good weak-
weather performance (low sink-rate and/or great climb rate),
maneuverable/responsive in the air, and relatively easy to rig.

Honestly I haven't looked all that much... I'm not interested in old
beasts like the LS-1s or G102s or Standard Cirruses. A Libelle H-201,
eh (would probably go with a 301 at that point). How's the Pegasus in
light conditions? Any other weak-weather performers that folks would
recommend in the Standard Class?

Thanks a bunch for all the thoughts and advice!

--Noel
Old January 9th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Jan 8, 6:15*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
[...]

That's an easy one. LS4 or DG300 will be your best bet for 30K.

Ramy
Old January 9th 08, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

That's an easy one. LS4 or DG300 will be your best bet for 30K.

Ramy

Never seen an LS-4 for sale; and I *love* our two local DG-300's - but
the ones I've seen online seem to go for closer to $40k or $50k!
Thought they were out of my budget (unless people are asking for WAY
more than they're actually selling the aircraft for)...

--Noel
Old January 9th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey[_2_]

noel.wade wrote:
That's an easy one. LS4 or DG300 will be your best bet for 30K.

Ramy

Never seen an LS-4 for sale; and I *love* our two local DG-300's - but
the ones I've seen online seem to go for closer to $40k or $50k!
Thought they were out of my budget (unless people are asking for WAY
more than they're actually selling the aircraft for)...

The expensive ones you've seen are likely newer DG-303s. DG-300s sell
in the low to mid-30s these days. The DG-101 (aka DG-100G) is another
good choice, nice ones with Komet trailers sell in the mid-20s. They do
have manual hookups for spoilers and ailerons, but they're relatively
easy to see and manipulate.

Marc

Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
Schweizer 1-35 and other flapped sailplanes Jack Soaring 39 August 22nd 05 08:57 PM
CHT recommendations Dude Owning 3 December 26th 04 05:07 PM
MFD recommendations Richard Kaplan Products 13 January 27th 04 04:04 PM