Grand Canyon Caverns, Arizona? Recent experiences?

Old August 9th 03, 01:25 AM
Tony Cox

Default Grand Canyon Caverns, Arizona? Recent experiences?

Has anyone been there recently (L37)? It's gravel,
right? I'm worrying about scratching up my nice new
prop.....

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old August 9th 03, 07:36 AM
C J Campbell

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
link.net...
| Has anyone been there recently (L37)? It's gravel,
| right? I'm worrying about scratching up my nice new
| prop.....

I was there last year. It is hard packed gravel. The road from the runway to
the parking lot (you park in amongst the cars) is dirt and loose gravel. I
did not scratch up my prop, but it is possible that you could. It is a risk
you take landing on any unpaved runway.

Old August 9th 03, 01:59 PM
J.R. Bates

I used to fly a Dornier 228 into a gravel strip on a weekly basis, and never
noticed any damage to the props at all.

In a single-engine airplane, I can't see how the gravel would get to the
prop, unless your prop is behind the wheels or you forget to put the wheels
down before landing.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

link.net...

Old August 10th 03, 09:31 PM
Big John

Tony

Technique to reduce prop damage from picking anything up off the R/W.

If there is enough runway, start rolling with only a little RPM. After
you are rolling, slowly and smoothly add throttle to TO power.

If short R/W then you may need full power from start and cannot use
above.

We used this a lot in Military to not nick the prop(s) on dirt,
laderite or, gravel strips..

We also carried a small (5 inch) fine ******* file and if we got any
nicks we ran the file up and down the leading edge to remove so they
wouldn't turn into cracks in the prop.

Have a good trip.

Big John

Old August 11th 03, 02:16 AM
Tom S.

"Big John" wrote in message
Tony

Technique to reduce prop damage from picking anything up off the R/W.

If there is enough runway, start rolling with only a little RPM. After
you are rolling, slowly and smoothly add throttle to TO power.

If short R/W then you may need full power from start and cannot use
above.

Apply full brakes, then slowly bring up full power, release brakes and your
off. Most people apply brakes then ram the throttle home.