Talk about the high cost of aviation!

Old August 10th 03, 02:39 AM
Wizard of Draws

Newps wrote:

Are you kidding? At least around here Home Depot and Lowe's hires
plumbers for the plumbing department and electricians for the electrical
and lighting departments, etc. Go to the Mom and Pop shops like Ace and
Hardware Hank and if you don't get the owner you'll get some high school
kid and you'll be lucky if he knows where the plumbing aisle is. If I
know what I want I'll go to Ace, because it's closer. And I'll pay more
by the way. If I need help I'll stick with Lowe's and HD.

I brought up HD because I used to work for their ad dept. You've seen
Homer? I used to draw him. I have stock in HD and appreciate every dime
you spend there, thank you.

HD and Lowes will hire ex-contractors if at all possible, but it isn't
possible in every market, for a variety of reasons. The number of pros
they need to staff the stores isn't always available. I brought up this
issue long ago and was pooh-poohed by management. They have since found
out the reality. The stores in my area, here in Atlanta, _home_ of HD,
were more often than not, staffed by some part-time high school kid.
Part lack of qualified pros, part deliberate attempt to keep down
salaries and have a work force that was willing to work all hours. Try
to staff a store with pros 24 hours.

Ace and Harware Hank are chains and not what I mean by mom and pop
stores. I mean the _real_ no name stores.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com
http://www.cartoonclipart.com
Old August 10th 03, 05:18 AM
karl gruber

******Why not go the extra step in the opposite direction and have more of
the
good stuff? I find it hard to believe that providing good coffee for
your clients is a ball-busting expense.*******

Has nothing to do with expense. A King Air 200 with nine passengers and two
crew loaded to the hilt with baggage and whatever gets carried on has no
extra room for more coffee. The approved container only holds so much.

Karl
Fortunately, out of that business now.

Old August 10th 03, 04:56 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Wizard of Draws wrote:

Ace and Harware Hank are chains and not what I mean by mom and pop
stores. I mean the _real_ no name stores.

The ones that keep their nails in bins and scoop out however many pounds
you need.

George Patterson
They say that nothing's certain except death and taxes. The thing is,
death doesn't get worse every time Congress goes into session.
Will Rogers
Old August 11th 03, 05:40 AM
Tom S.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Wizard of Draws wrote:

Ace and Harware Hank are chains and not what I mean by mom and pop
stores. I mean the _real_ no name stores.

The ones that keep their nails in bins and scoop out however many pounds
you need.

Home Depot and Lowe's do that (at least in my town).

Old August 11th 03, 08:51 PM
Montblack

("Tom S." wrote)
snip
I notice that Microsoft and Wal-Mart don't have oppulent trappings in

their
corporate HQ, and 220 of the 1990 Fortune 500 aren't there anymore.

I wonder how many of those 1990 Fortune 500 companies went belly up vs. how
many were purchased, or mergers, etc?

--
Montblack

Old August 12th 03, 04:09 AM
Tom S.

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .
("Tom S." wrote)
snip
I notice that Microsoft and Wal-Mart don't have oppulent trappings in

their
corporate HQ, and 220 of the 1990 Fortune 500 aren't there anymore.

I wonder how many of those 1990 Fortune 500 companies went belly up vs.

how
many were purchased, or mergers, etc?

Mergers and purchases are typically "distress" sales. Just going out and
buying a Fortune 500 company isn't a common practice.