Bomb scare

Old July 25th 03, 05:44 PM
Ron Natalie

Default Bomb scare

"Roger Long" om wrote in message
Because of the extent to which security issues have become part of our
aviation life and this newsgroup, I thought some of you might like to read
this story about the recent bomb scare at quiet Queecy Lake, New York.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bomb.htm

Back when I was in the Fire Department, we had a lecture from the Police
Bomb squad guys. They get enough real bombs in similarly innocuous
situations to not care about things like this. He had quite a collection
of pictures of:

1. Real dangerous stuff like live ordnance souvenirs that people had picked up.
2. Attempts at bomb making that is amazing they didn't kill the guy building them.
3. Some really laughable attempts at homemade bombs, usually made up of some
quantity of disposable lighters and targeted at some jilted lover.

Old July 25th 03, 11:15 PM
David

In article , Roger Long
om writes
Because of the extent to which security issues have become part of our
aviation life and this newsgroup, I thought some of you might like to read
this story about the recent bomb scare at quiet Queecy Lake, New York.

http://home.maine.rr.com/rlma/Bomb.htm

That is a bit like the one in the papers over this side of the Atlantic
today. A British family travelled to France and landed at Toulouse. They
went on to their destination and realised that they had lost one of
their bags - a rucksack.

Meanwhile back at the airport the bag was spotted and investigated. It
appeared to contain what seemed like it might be Semtex. This brought
in anti-terrorist police and caused the evacuation of the terminal
building. The bomb squad arrived and all flights were grounded. So the
bag was destroyed in a controlled explosion after evacuating the
terminal. The father in the family was not best pleased to hear that his
camera and binoculars had also been destroyed.

Cause of the problem? The wife had impulsively packed some frozen puff
pastry to use on their holiday as she did no believe she could find a
good equivalent in French Supermarkets - the family dinner that night
was to be chicken pie.
David Francis E-Mail reply to
Old July 26th 03, 03:01 AM
BruceG

I grew up in a rural Western Louisiana town that had a WW2 training base
nearby. One day a friend from school was running the plow in his field.
Plow went "clunk." Friend got off tractor, dug up live 30+ yr old 250 pound
bomb (with fuse), horsed it into the bed of his old pick-up truck and
bounced it into town to take to the deputy's office. A quick call to FT
Polk authorities brought down the EOD guys, who *gingerly* took it out of
town to another open field where they made it go "boom." Damned if he
didn't find another one a few weeks later.

Bruce
m...

Old July 26th 03, 12:33 PM
Martin Hotze

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:01:47 -0400, BruceG wrote:

I grew up in a rural Western Louisiana town that had a WW2 training base
nearby. One day a friend from school was running the plow in his field.
Plow went "clunk." Friend got off tractor, dug up live 30+ yr old 250 pound
bomb (with fuse), horsed it into the bed of his old pick-up truck and
bounced it into town to take to the deputy's office. A quick call to FT
Polk authorities brought down the EOD guys, who *gingerly* took it out of
town to another open field where they made it go "boom." Damned if he
didn't find another one a few weeks later.

Finding bombs from WWII in Germany/Austria happens at least on a weeekly
basis. In certain regions you have the government do a search with
historical records, photos and actual satellite images on your area before
you may build your house.

#m

--
http://www.usawatch.org/ http://www.alternet.org/

John Gilmo I was ejected from a plane for wearing
"Suspected Terrorist" button http://www.politechbot.com/p-04973.html
Old August 11th 03, 12:36 AM
Peter H. Schmidt

Yeah, you can never find good pastry in France...

....Peter
--
Peter H. Schmidt Lifting Mind Inc.
_/ Speaking \_ 2 Ewell Avenue