Handhelds and alkaline batteries

Old August 9th 03, 08:06 PM
Peter Gottlieb

If you're going to go through the trouble of getting rechargeable AA cells
for the A23, why not just get the old pack rebuilt with NiMH cells?

I was thinking of getting the 1.5 Volt Lithium AA cells for keeping in the
AA pack since they have a 10 year shelf life.

"Robert Henry" wrote in message
Thank you for the information, Greg! I'll report back how they work in the
A23.

"Greg Burkhart" wrote in message
I just found some AA Duracell Ni-MH 1,800mah for $0.89 each through
MCM/Newark, if anyone is interested...

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...log/productDet
ail.jsp?id=58-7740

I still don't own stock in Gillette (Duracell) or Premier Farnell
(MCM/Newark)...

"mike regish" wrote in message
Bet he owns stock in Energizer...

I use Duracell in everything. (And no, I don't own any stock)

mike regish

Old August 9th 03, 09:39 PM
Chris W

Peter Gottlieb wrote:

If you're going to go through the trouble of getting rechargeable AA cells
for the A23, why not just get the old pack rebuilt with NiMH cells?

I was thinking of getting the 1.5 Volt Lithium AA cells for keeping in the
AA pack since they have a 10 year shelf life.

I didn't know you could get 1.5 Volt lithium AA cells, I thought they only came
in 3.6 volts. Where can I find the 1.5 Volt cells

--
Chris Woodhouse

"They that can give up essential liberty
to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania

Old August 9th 03, 10:56 PM
Peter Gottlieb

Lots of places have them now, Google them to find a decent price. Here is
one place:

http://www.nimhbattery.com/enr-l91bp-4.htm

Old August 10th 03, 12:16 AM
RM

Yeah -- for some bizarre reason, the guy who sold me the ICOM said that
Duracell brand alkaline batteries were just a tad too long to fit in the
ICOM battery box properly.

Here's what Icom wrote to me after I asked them about this issue.

Thank you for contacting ICOM Technical Support.

This is normal for this unit. The nicad battery pack gives a higher
voltage.

And here's what I originally wrote to them:

I recently purchased an Icom A5 Sport radio. It seems to generally
work, but the low battery indicator stays on all the time and
flashes indicating a severely depleted battery when I transmit.

I have installed new batteries and it still does this.

Is this considered normal?

Old August 10th 03, 12:17 AM
Robert Henry

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...
If you're going to go through the trouble of getting rechargeable AA cells
for the A23, why not just get the old pack rebuilt with NiMH cells?

I have the A23 sport, so I have none of the accessories needed. I do have a
NiMH cell battery charger.

So, for casual use applications here and there I can load up the NiMHs and
not worry about eating batteries.