Sport Pilot Final

Old July 20th 04, 05:30 PM
Gilan

Default Sport Pilot Final

http://www.flyinggators.com/news/LSA/SPrule.html

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Old July 20th 04, 06:06 PM
Richard Isakson

Also at:
PDF:
http://www.sportpilot.org/sportpilot_rule.pdf

WORD:
http://www.faa.gov/avr/arm/rulemakin...otRule7_19.doc

Basically:

From PART 1-DEFINITIONS AND ABBREVIATIONS
Light-sport aircraft means an aircraft, other than a helicopter or
powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet
the following:
(1) A maximum takeoff weight of not more than--

(i) 660 pounds (300 kilograms) for lighter-than-air aircraft;

(ii) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on
water; or

(iii) 1,430 pounds (650 kilograms) for an aircraft intended for operation on
water.

(2) A maximum airspeed in level flight with maximum continuous power (VH) of
not more than 120 knots CAS under standard atmospheric conditions at sea
level.

(3) A maximum never-exceed speed (VNE) of not more than 120 knots CAS for a
glider.

(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use
of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the
aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of
gravity.

(5) A maximum seating capacity of no more than two persons, including the
pilot.

(6) A single, reciprocating engine, if powered.

(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than
a powered glider.

(8) A fixed or autofeathering propeller system if a powered glider.

(9) A fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a
gyroplane.

(10) A nonpressurized cabin, if equipped with a cabin.

(11) Fixed landing gear, except for an aircraft intended for operation on
water or a glider.

(12) Fixed or repositionable landing gear, or a hull, for an aircraft
intended for operation on water.

(13) Fixed or retractable landing gear for a glider.

And from 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration

[A medical is not required for gliders and ballons - RWI]

(c) Operations requiring either a medical certificate or U.S. driver's
license. (1) A person must hold and possess either a valid medical
certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a current and valid U.S.
driver's license when exercising the privileges of-

(i) A student pilot certificate while seeking sport pilot privileges in a
light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon;

(ii) A sport pilot certificate in a light-sport aircraft other than a glider
or balloon; or

(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating while acting
as pilot in command or serving as a required flight crewmember of a
light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon.

(2) A person using a current and valid U.S. driver's license to meet the
requirements of this paragraph must--

(i) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's
U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying to
the operation of a motor vehicle;

(ii) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class
airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application
(if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

(iii) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if
the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most
recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate
withdrawn; and

(iv) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would
make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

Rich

Old July 20th 04, 07:34 PM
cj

"Richard Isakson" wrote in message

(ii) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class
airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent

application
(if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

Rich

This is the part that affects me. I applied for a third-class about four
years ago while taking lessons. However, the FAA asked for information from
my cardiologist about my blood pressure medicine. He ignored their specific
points and wrote a rambling memo that I was fit to fly. Because I had
stopped taking lessons (we bought a house and the money got spent on silly
stuff like mortgage), I never submitted his memo. The FAA never denied me
and until a year or so ago the FAA web site showed I had submitted an
application with not additional action.

However, because I once submitted an application -the rule says "...most
recent application" - I have to get a third-class medical. Then, I can let
it lapse and start using a driver's license to fly as a sport pilot. But,
if I had bought the house a few months earlier, never applied for a
third-class medical, I could declare myself fit to fly as a sport pilot as
long as I have a driver's license.

I think someone else called this "government goo".

-cj

Old July 20th 04, 07:34 PM
Roger Long

So you're OK to be in the other lane passing within six feet of me at a
closing rate of 120 miles an hour and repeating the event a hundred or so
times an hour but not to be off buzzing around over a field several thousand
feet away in a much lighter and more crushable machine.

Yup, makes about as much sense as anything else the government does.

--

Roger Long

.. .

Old July 20th 04, 08:32 PM
Dr. Bob Lade

I have heard conflicting reports as to whether the Ercoupe 416C would be
eligible as a LSA or not. Anyone know for sure? I see it listed as having a
t/o weight of 1260 lb. under the 1320 lb. in the newly published FAA
rules...

--

Dr. Bob Lade
Lade's Internet Service, Inc.
nk.net...

Old July 20th 04, 09:09 PM
Dr. Bob Lade

I meant the Ercoupe 415C, of course g.

--

Dr. Bob Lade
Lade's Internet Service, Inc.
"Dr. Bob Lade" wrote in message
news
I have heard conflicting reports as to whether the Ercoupe 416C would be
eligible as a LSA or not. Anyone know for sure? I see it listed as having

t/o weight of 1260 lb. under the 1320 lb. in the newly published FAA
rules...

--

Dr. Bob Lade
Lade's Internet Service, Inc.
637 N.E. 15th Court
Cape Coral FL 33909
www.BobLade.com
239-772-1663 v/f 239-560-1631 m
nk.net...

Old July 20th 04, 11:01 PM
ET

"Dr. Bob Lade" wrote in
:

I meant the Ercoupe 415C, of course g.

--

Dr. Bob Lade
Lade's Internet Service, Inc.
637 N.E. 15th Court
Cape Coral FL 33909
www.BobLade.com
239-772-1663 v/f 239-560-1631 m
"Dr. Bob Lade" wrote in message
news
I have heard conflicting reports as to whether the Ercoupe 416C would
be eligible as a LSA or not. Anyone know for sure? I see it listed as
having

t/o weight of 1260 lb. under the 1320 lb. in the newly published FAA
rules...

--

Dr. Bob Lade
Lade's Internet Service, Inc.
637 N.E. 15th Court
Cape Coral FL 33909
www.BobLade.com

Looks to me like your in....

Stall speed (clean) 48mph

LSA stall speed 45knots = approx 48.6 mph

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old July 20th 04, 11:33 PM
Rich S.

"ET" wrote in message

LSA stall speed 45knots = approx 48.6 mph

That would be closer to 51.7864910 mph.

Rich "The Devil is in the details" S.

Old July 21st 04, 01:36 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:06:55 -0700, "Richard Isakson"
wrote:

(ii) 1,320 pounds (600 kilograms) for aircraft not intended for operation on
water; or

Cool...almost a hundred pounds higher than they originally were talking
about. This lets the Ercoupes in. If you look at EAA's old "These planes
don't qualify" section on this page...

http://www.sportpilot.org/lsa/standard_certificate_aircraft.html

....you'll see there are some Aeroncas, T-Carts, and even a J-3 model that
now qualify.

(4) A maximum stalling speed or minimum steady flight speed without the use
of lift-enhancing devices (VS1) of not more than 45 knots CAS at the
aircraft's maximum certificated takeoff weight and most critical center of
gravity.

Cool, too...they got rid of the "39 knots in landing configuration/45 knots
without deployment, etc." criteria.

(7) A fixed or ground-adjustable propeller if a powered aircraft other than
a powered glider.

Guess I'll give up on a cockpit-adjustable prop for the 'ol Fly Baby.

And from 61.23 Medical certificates: Requirement and duration

(2) A person using a current and valid U.S. driver's license to meet the
requirements of this paragraph must--

(ii) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class
airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent application
(if the person has applied for a medical certificate);

(iii) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate (if
the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or most
recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate
withdrawn; and

(iv) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would
make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner.

That's a bit irritating. I'm sure we all know guys who were hoping to be
able to step back into the cockpit with a "Driver's license medical". Then
again, there's the enforcement issue...if one is ramp-checked, all one
needs to show the guy is a driver's license. Inspectors are not likely to
have a list of folks who have lost medicals in the past. If someone
crashes, of course, the FAA will then find out.

I suspect dropping the medical requirement entirely was farther than the
FAA was willing to go. It may be, after some years of Sport Pilot
operation, that the EAA may be able to petition to have the rule amended
(which should be a LOT easier than having the basic process instituted in
the first place.) Unfortunately, they're just as likely to have a batch
of statistics pointing the OTHER way-- "...accident pilot was taking
medication for [heart problems, depression, diabetes, etc.] and was
operating illegally under the Sport Pilot provisions...." Too many of
those, and the FAA will probably re-institute the Class 3 medical
requirement.

On the whole, though, I'm pleased. This is a rule for the *future* of
aviation... we'll get a lot more young folks into the sport, with
lower-cost airplanes and, for newcomers at least, "a drivers-license
medical." But like most of us, I have buddies who'll be disappointed.

I'm trying to decide whether I'll bother to renew my 3rd class, when it's
due. The consequences of not passing are pretty severe. Then again, I
have to rent a plane for a BFR every two years. Won't be able to get a 172
and instructor unless I *do* have a medical, unless the local flight school
has LSAs in the line by the time I'm due....

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 21st 04, 11:27 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:34:05 -0700, "cj" wrote:

However, because I once submitted an application -the rule says "...most
recent application" - I have to get a third-class medical.

The FAA is saying that you will need a "special issuance" and that
they will "work with" you on this. I don't know if that's good news or
bad, but it sounds as if they are willing to be more lenient this time
around.

There are several views on this posted at www.aero-news.net

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Expedition sailboat charters www.expeditionsail.com

Pilot Error? Is it Mr. Damron? Badwater Bill Home Built 3 June 23rd 04 04:05 PM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot Leaves DOT for OMB, Latest News Fitzair4 Home Built 3 December 25th 03 02:49 AM