I just have to get it off my chest.

Old July 12th 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

Default I just have to get it off my chestkillfile. - "avmeter.gif" yEnc (1/1) [16K]

"hielan' laddie" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 10:42:10 -0400, Woody wrote
(in article ):

My solution to YENC posters is just to stick them in the killfile.

And this affects me... how?

Stop
trying to dictate what everyone else should use.

Not doing that. On the other hand, some people are trying to say how
others
must post.

no, what they are saying is if you want them to view them, don't post in
Yenc.
Are you sure that your not ****y with them because you are not reaching your
target audience ?

Old July 12th 07, 12:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

Default I just have to get it off my chest.

"Jules" wrote in message

Clem wrote:

The only interpretation provided to newbies, is to use a simple reader
like OE.

I wonder if the push to yenc is an attempt to take down microsoft a bit?
Just wondering.

You can plonk people to death, but what's the point? If we were at an air
show and I mentioned that I use yenc, would you stop talking to me or I
you?

Yes. The subject has been talked to death. Yet yenc pumpers don't seem to
get it.

Probably not, that would be rude, so why persist with that type
behavior on this newsgroup?

Huh? Yenc pumpers are persisting.
I just haven't changed my mind.

I'm not allowed to change my mind till my wife tells me.

Old July 12th 07, 02:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 07:08:19 -0400, Glenn wrote
(in article ):

"hielan' laddie" wrote in message
On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 10:42:10 -0400, Woody wrote
(in article ):

My solution to YENC posters is just to stick them in the killfile.

And this affects me... how?

Stop
trying to dictate what everyone else should use.

Not doing that. On the other hand, some people are trying to say how
others
must post.

no, what they are saying is if you want them to view them, don't post in
Yenc.
Are you sure that your not ****y with them because you are not reaching your
target audience ?

I'm trying to say that I don't give a damn either way. Sometimes I post using
YENC, sometimes I don't, depending on what it is I'm posting, which machine
I'm posting from, what account I'm using, and what software I'm using. In
some cases it's easier for me to use YENC. In some cases it's easier for me
to use other encoding systems. I use what's convenient. I have _never_ seen
what the problem some people have with YENC. This means that I use YENC
encoding sometimes, but not all the time... because the use/non-use of YENC
is not a religious matter with me. And my software, where possible, is set to
announce what kind of encoding was used for any binaries which might be being
posted, so that those who can't/won't use one type of encoding can know
beforehand what's what. You can download the file or not. You can killfile
the account or not. I don't give a damn.

There are those who say that I _must not use YENC under any circumstances_ or
they will 'punish' me by killfiling me. My response is simple: I'll keep on
doing what's convenient to me. You do what you gotta do. Everybody's happy.

There are free or low-cost (and by low-cost I mean under US$25) methods of
reading YENC for:

Win98
W2K
WinXP
Mac OS 8.x
Mac OS 9.x
Mac OS X, 10.1.x and later

I don't use Linux to read USENET, so I've got no idea about Linux solutions.
I'd find it extremely strange if there were no similar solutions for at least
the most commonly used Linux distros, though.

If someone objects to YENC so much that, rather than get one of the free or
low-cost methods of viewing YENC-encoded files, they'd rather killfile those
who post in YENC, then more power to them. It appears to be a religious
matter rather than anything rational. At least one poster who uses a Mac
objects to YENC on grounds of cost; yENC TZ is free, and Decoder is US$20,
and both work from at least OS 8.x on up. He uses YA-Newswatcher, Brian
Clarke's old abandonware version of John Norstad's Newswatcher.
MT-Newswatcher, Simon Fraser's still-supported (and still free!) version of
Newswatcher, is (IMHO) superior to YA-NW, and knows about YENC. Now, if that
gentleman prefers to not use MT-NW, or if he doesn't want to download and use
yENC TZ or Decoder or some other helper app, fine. It's absolutely no skin
off _my_ nose either way. As I said in my original post, if you have a policy
of automatically killfiling those who use YENC, by all means keep on using
it. I would not stop you even if I could, which I can't. Conversely, your
killfiling me will not stop me posting using YENC encoding if I so desire.

And, oh, this is neither the machine nor the account that I usually use to
post binaries. Killfiling _this_ account would be particularly pointless. I
expect that some of the more foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics have already done
so. I don't give a damn.

Old July 12th 07, 04:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
gpaleo

"hielan' laddie" wrote

I'm trying to say that I don't give a damn either way.

Seeng that you are such a "don't give a damn" guy (as you say 4-5-6 times in
your post), I wonder why you bother to post pix anyway, or reply to negative
posts about your methods..........
Oh well, yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn................................

Old July 12th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:58:05 -0400, gpaleo wrote
(in article 1184255885.318252@athprx03):

"hielan' laddie" wrote

I'm trying to say that I don't give a damn either way.

Seeng that you are such a "don't give a damn" guy (as you say 4-5-6 times in
your post), I wonder why you bother to post pix anyway, or reply to negative
posts about your methods..........
Oh well, yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn................................

'Cause I'm bored, there's nothing happening right now, and I have time to
waste.

Old July 13th 07, 11:44 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

"hielan' laddie" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:58:05 -0400, gpaleo wrote
(in article 1184255885.318252@athprx03):

"hielan' laddie" wrote

I'm trying to say that I don't give a damn either way.

Seeng that you are such a "don't give a damn" guy (as you say 4-5-6 times
in
your post), I wonder why you bother to post pix anyway, or reply to
negative
posts about your methods..........
Oh well, yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn................................

'Cause I'm bored, there's nothing happening right now, and I have time to
waste.

That you do. Thus indicating you are just being problematic and have no
real concern for other peoples wishes.

Old July 13th 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 06:44:43 -0400, Glenn wrote
(in article ):

"hielan' laddie" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:58:05 -0400, gpaleo wrote
(in article 1184255885.318252@athprx03):

"hielan' laddie" wrote

I'm trying to say that I don't give a damn either way.

Seeng that you are such a "don't give a damn" guy (as you say 4-5-6 times
in
your post), I wonder why you bother to post pix anyway, or reply to
negative
posts about your methods..........
Oh well, yaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn................................

'Cause I'm bored, there's nothing happening right now, and I have time to
waste.

That you do. Thus indicating you are just being problematic and have no
real concern for other peoples wishes.

Nah. If you don't like YENC, don't bloody download any YENC-encoded files.
Simple as that. I wouldn't force you to do so, even if I could.

And, quite simply, _you_ cannot force _me_ to upload files using any encoding
that I don't find convenient. Sometimes it's convenient for me to use YENC.
Sometimes it's not. You can download any or all files I post, whatever the
encoding, or not download any or all files I post. It does not affect me
either way. I will continue to do what I find convenient. If you don't like
it, you can, of course, apply your killfile. Go ahead. Or don't. It makes no
difference to me whatsoever.

Old July 15th 07, 06:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glenn[_2_]

[...]

Ahh but it does. Cause you persist with this futile argument.
You want people to view your images. That's simple.
You want to make people to jump through hoops to view them. Not so simple.
Your loss really.
Just trying to help you. but if you just want to continue to be
problematic, I'm sure you will.

Old July 15th 07, 12:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
hielan' laddie

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:02:38 -0400, Glenn wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Ahh but it does.

Nope.

Cause you persist with this futile argument.

Who's arguing?

You want people to view your images.

Some will, some won't.

That's simple.
You want to make people to jump through hoops to view them.

No. I just won't jump through hoops so that those who have a religious
problem with an _encoding system_ can see them.

Not so simple.
Your loss really.

How is it my loss?

Just trying to help you. but if you just want to continue to be
problematic, I'm sure you will.

I'll keep on doing as I have been doing. It works for me. It's worked for me
for _years_. I see no reason to change.

Old July 24th 07, 09:14 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Casey Tompkins

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 17:21:13 GMT, Dave wrote:

Clairbear wrote:

Gee 1227K for xnews I might have to remove it
and it reads yenc, speeds up access,rejoins multi part posts, and allows me
to access all header on ng
You might be right I guess I'll just have to go back to the inconvenience
of using OE to access the usenet.

I think that things should be as simple as possible.
There are quite a few people who don't know how to setup new programs,
like my 85 year old father, but he likes this newsgroup.
He worked for Curtis back in the 30's and 40's in their experimental
aircraft group in Buffalo.

I vote for keeping it as simple and direct as possible so everybody can
enjoy these great photos of beautiful and unique aircraft.
Just my two cents.

Um, Dave, just how hard is it for *anyone* to double-click on an
install program? Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Virtually every person I've ever seen complain about yEnc is an
Outlook Express user. That is, they use one of the worst pieces of
junk ever released by MicroSoft that contains an absurd number of
security holes. It is, I might add, just an email program with
newsgroup reading tacked on.

You might as well use a truck to pull a plow. It would work, but it
wouldn't be very effective.

This argument falls into the same category of people who complain that
they don't want to deal with those bloody VHS players, since there's
nothing wrong with their Betamax.

If you really want simple and direct, we could go back to text-only
usenet, accessed via command-line programs, transmitting cute
ASCII-art pics of airplanes. Better yet, go real old-school, and use
the US Post Office. Just photocopy those shots and physically mail
them to folks. It can't get much simpler than that, and -hey-
absolutely no software is involved!

Let's be honest: this argument has virtually always been driven by
Outlook Express users who refuse to part from their bedraggled
teddy-bear of a program. Why not 'fess up about it?

On the other hand, it depends on how the poster uploads their images.
If they do so by hand (which is possible via newsreader) the uploader
can configure the program not to use yEnc. I use Agent 1.91 (hate the
3.x, they trashed the interface) and I've disabled yEnc manually for
my uploads. If anyone wants direction on how to do that for Agent,
email me or ask here.

But if I have a large number of images, I need something like Power
Post v11b, and I can't disable the yEnc encoding. It's hard-wired into
the code. I personally would have no trouble in turning off yEnc, if
that option existed. Maybe if we all wrote the author - assert at
powerpost dot cjb dot net- he would release a new version?