PWK ILS ?

Old June 2nd 04, 01:18 AM
Stuart King

Default PWK ILS ?

I was flying to PWK on an IFR plan in VFR weather. ATC vecotered me to
final for the ILS 16, clear to land rwy 16.

I double check the wind and its out of 270 at 20kts. I ask for the visual
to rwy 24. Denied, unless i wish to cancel IFR and proceed VFR. I asked
why, and they said something about the Ohare Arrival/Departures corridors.

I understand not screwing with Ohare(ORD) , but PWK is a towered field and
it seems like I should be able to do the visual approachto the safest runway
without giving up radar services.

Opinions ?

SK

Old June 2nd 04, 02:07 AM
zatatime

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 00:18:37 GMT, "Stuart King"
wrote:

I was flying to PWK on an IFR plan in VFR weather. ATC vecotered me to
final for the ILS 16, clear to land rwy 16.

I double check the wind and its out of 270 at 20kts. I ask for the visual
to rwy 24. Denied, unless i wish to cancel IFR and proceed VFR. I asked
why, and they said something about the Ohare Arrival/Departures corridors.

I understand not screwing with Ohare(ORD) , but PWK is a towered field and
it seems like I should be able to do the visual approachto the safest runway
without giving up radar services.

Opinions ?

SK

Could you have declared your Glideslope Inop, and told them you wanted
the loaclizer 16 circling approach? May have ****ed them off, but may
have gotten you a safer approach.

I'm sure this isn't completely ethical, but could work.

Old June 2nd 04, 02:30 AM

Stuart King wrote:

I understand not screwing with Ohare(ORD) , but PWK is a towered field and
it seems like I should be able to do the visual approachto the safest runway
without giving up radar services.

Opinions ?

How would you be giving up radar services? In any case, once within Class D
airspace, it is far more important for you to be on the same page with the local
controllers. If you wanted a different runway the local controllers would
either grant your request or give you a reason why that runway wasn't available.

It sounds like you're placing too much emphasis on approach control services
when you are landing at a secondary (to that approach control) airport.

Old June 2nd 04, 02:50 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Stuart King" wrote:

I was flying to PWK on an IFR plan in VFR weather. ATC vecotered me to
final for the ILS 16, clear to land rwy 16.

I double check the wind and its out of 270 at 20kts. I ask for the visual
to rwy 24. Denied, unless i wish to cancel IFR and proceed VFR.

"Unable runway 16 due to operational limitations".

No way I'm landing with a 20 kt quartering tailwind. If I did the math
right, that's a 19 kt cross plus a 7 kt tail component.
Old June 2nd 04, 03:37 AM
Nathan Young

wrote:

I was flying to PWK on an IFR plan in VFR weather. ATC vecotered me to
final for the ILS 16, clear to land rwy 16.

I double check the wind and its out of 270 at 20kts. I ask for the visual
to rwy 24. Denied, unless i wish to cancel IFR and proceed VFR. I asked
why, and they said something about the Ohare Arrival/Departures corridors.

I understand not screwing with Ohare(ORD) , but PWK is a towered field and
it seems like I should be able to do the visual approachto the safest runway
without giving up radar services.

Welcome to ops @ PWK. You didn't get singled out, the same thing has
happened to me. It is due to ORD approach corridors, but I'm not sure
why they can't give you a visual.

I just cancel and go in VFR when able.

Here are some suggestions on PWK's VFR arrival procedures.
http://www.palwaukee.org/PilotInfo/V...ndOutbound.htm

-Nathan

Old June 2nd 04, 04:14 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Stuart King" wrote in message
.. .

I was flying to PWK on an IFR plan in VFR weather. ATC vecotered me to
final for the ILS 16, clear to land rwy 16.

I double check the wind and its out of 270 at 20kts. I ask for the visual
to rwy 24. Denied, unless i wish to cancel IFR and proceed VFR. I asked
why, and they said something about the Ohare Arrival/Departures corridors.

I understand not screwing with Ohare(ORD) , but PWK is a towered field
and it seems like I should be able to do the visual approachto the safest
runway without giving up radar services.

Opinions ?

I don't get it. If you've been cleared to land you're on tower frequency,
probably within a few miles of the OM. At that point there's no significant
difference between being on final for RWY 16 and right base for RWY 24. The
approach controller might not even notice the difference. I don't see how
it could have any impact on ORD traffic.

Old June 2nd 04, 04:18 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"zatatime" wrote in message

Could you have declared your Glideslope Inop, and told them you wanted
the loaclizer 16 circling approach? May have ****ed them off, but may
have gotten you a safer approach.

I'm sure this isn't completely ethical, but could work.

Once you've got the field in sight, is there a significant difference
between a visual to rwy 24 and a localizer to rwy 16 circle to rwy 24?

Old June 2nd 04, 12:12 PM
Richard Kaplan

"Stuart King" wrote in message
.. .

I was flying to PWK on an IFR plan in VFR weather. ATC vecotered me to
final for the ILS 16, clear to land rwy 16.

I double check the wind and its out of 270 at 20kts. I ask for the visual
to rwy 24. Denied, unless i wish to cancel IFR and proceed VFR. I asked
why, and they said something about the Ohare Arrival/Departures corridors.

How about just "Unable downwind landing, NXXXXX requires upwind runway."
Often you will get what you need if you are a bit more emphatic with ATC.

--------------------
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old June 6th 04, 02:53 PM
Travis Marlatte

This is SOP at PWK. Anything other than a straight in to 16 has to go VFR.
Standard response is because of the ORD airspace. I have been flying out of
PWK for 7 years and have never gotten what I thought was a good explanation.
That, and departing VFR traffic sqawk 5100 until five miles out.

Request whatever runway you want when you start talking with the tower. They
ask you to cancel IFR and break off the approach when able. Whan you have
the airport, cancel and circle.

The tower is still watching you on radar. Practically, nothing has changed
except the legal status of your flight. I presume that it has to do with IFR
spacing with ORD's approach paths.

--
Travis