Lightspeed 3G Headset Updates?

Old September 30th 04, 03:42 PM
Marco Leon

Default Lightspeed 3G Headset Updates?

Well Google shows the most recent solicitation from the group for feedback
on the Lightspeed 3G headsets was back in early 2003. Jay Honeck gave a very
positive update in March of 2004 in response to another post but no mass
(relatively speaking) feedback on general experiences. Soooooo....if I may:

1) What model and how long have you had them?

2) What was your longest trip and were they still comfortable at the end?

3) How many times have they broken (if any) and what broke?

4) Is the customer service and/or turnaround on repairs still good?

I think Jay's bought two new Twenty 3G's since March so I'd be interested to
see if they've proved as good as the first pair. Also, if anyone's gone FROM
a Lightspeed headset to another with good results, that would be interesting
too (well, to me at least).

Thanks!

Marco "DC H20-10 owner whose wife thinks he does too much research" Leon
N36616 out of KFRG

Old September 30th 04, 03:50 PM
Arnold Sten

Marco Leon wrote:
Well Google shows the most recent solicitation from the group for feedback
on the Lightspeed 3G headsets was back in early 2003. Jay Honeck gave a very
positive update in March of 2004 in response to another post but no mass
(relatively speaking) feedback on general experiences. Soooooo....if I may:

1) What model and how long have you had them?

Model 20-3G owned about 15 months.

2) What was your longest trip and were they still comfortable at the end?

Longest trip was 4 hours. Headset remained very comfortable. Butt sore,
however.

3) How many times have they broken (if any) and what broke?

Nothing broken or any other problem.

4) Is the customer service and/or turnaround on repairs still good?

Do not know. I've not had to find out.

Old September 30th 04, 04:29 PM
C J Campbell

I upgraded my old LightSpeed to a 20 3G sometime last year. Since then the
battery box has had to be replaced. Cables tended to break where they
entered the old type of battery box. The new battery box has a better
design.

The biggest problem I have had with headsets is not really the headsets, but
some of the new Cessnas that put the jacks up on the door handle so that the
cords come straight up out of the jack. Everyone complains about snagging
and breaking cords with these.

Old September 30th 04, 04:30 PM
Jay Honeck

I believe I can shed some more positive light on Lightspeed:

1) What model and how long have you had them?

We have three pair of Twenty 3Gs, and one old pair of 25XLs.

2) What was your longest trip and were they still comfortable at the end?

Two weeks ago we flew 21 hours in two days, to Reno and back. My headphones
were perfectly comfortable until the last hour, when they just started to
press the bow of my glasses uncomfortably into my temple. Moving the bow of
my glasses a bit solved that.

In other words, for any normal flight, you can be assured of perfect
comfort, far superior to any headset I've worn.

3) How many times have they broken (if any) and what broke?

The old 25s were sent back to Lightspeed on multiple occasions. The
not-so-new-anymore Twenty 3Gs have been absolutely perfect. They seem to
have addressed their quality control problems successfully.

4) Is the customer service and/or turnaround on repairs still good?

Dunno. Nothing seems to break anymore!

I'd buy another in a heartbeat -- but I've only got a 4-seat plane!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 30th 04, 04:30 PM
C J Campbell

I forgot to mention: I regularly fly all day long with my 20 3Gs and
experience little or no discomfort.

Old September 30th 04, 04:32 PM
Peter MacPherson

1) I've had the 30 3G's for about 2 months.

2) I have about 30 hours on them and the longest trip so far
was about 4 hours(a few different times). They were as comfortable
at the end as they were at the beginning.

3) Nothing has broken.

4) N/A

Pete

Old September 30th 04, 04:59 PM
John Theune

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in
:

[...]

I've got a pair of 20 3G's and have flown with them for a year. Longest
was about 6 hours out to Oshkosh and they are just fine. No problem at
all with them.
Old September 30th 04, 05:01 PM
Hamish Reid

In article ,
"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote:

Well Google shows the most recent solicitation from the group for feedback
on the Lightspeed 3G headsets was back in early 2003. Jay Honeck gave a very
positive update in March of 2004 in response to another post but no mass
(relatively speaking) feedback on general experiences. Soooooo....if I may:

1) What model and how long have you had them?

Thirty 3G's, traded up from 20 XL's about three months ago.

2) What was your longest trip and were they still comfortable at the end?

Longest continuous trip with the 3G's was about 5.5 hours, and the
headsets were comfortable the entire time. Comfort has never been an
issue with any Lightspeed ANR headset that I've owned -- they've all
been very good for this, even after 6 hours in a 172...

3) How many times have they broken (if any) and what broke?

Nothing's broken on the 3G's... yet. The 20 XL's went back *three times*
to LightSpeed for repairs in the three years or so that I owned them.

4) Is the customer service and/or turnaround on repairs still good?

Unknown. LightSpeed's customer service has always been unfailingly
friendly, helpful, and efficient. But then it needed to be :-).

Hamish
Old September 30th 04, 05:23 PM
Marco Leon

Thanks Jay, I was waiting for your feedback. The reason I limited the thread
to Lightspeeds is because I am seriously torn between the 20XLc and the
Twenty 3G. They're pretty much neck-and-neck in terms of specs. I'm really
leaning towards the Twenty 3G now. Has anyone out there purchased the new
20XLc recently? I wonder if they've updated it by replacing the flimsy
hardware.

Marco Leon

Old September 30th 04, 08:41 PM
john smith

Add question 5. Are you an owner or a renter. (Owners would leave the
headsets in their airplane plugged in. A renter is repeatedly
plugging/unplugging, wrapping the cord, tossing them around, etc)