Knowns Unlimited 2006 Glider

Old August 6th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
AeroSign

Default Knowns Unlimited 2006 Glider

Dear all,
I am trying to understand the "Known Unlimited 2006" glider sequence
from IAC.

First of all, what is the figure number 6? Just a loop with a 90 degree
exit?

Second, how is figure 9 flown? Is it one full roll during the first 90
degree on the 180 degree circle followed by a half roll on the last 90
degree of the turn? Or shall the rolls be divided different on the
circle?

If there is a better place to ask such questions please let me know....

Best regards
/Aero

Old August 6th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
john smith

In article . com,
"AeroSign" wrote:

Dear all,
I am trying to understand the "Known Unlimited 2006" glider sequence
from IAC.

First, download the rulebook.
http://members.iac.org/contests/rulebook.html

First of all, what is the figure number 6? Just a loop with a 90 degree
exit?

I believe this is a 7/8 loop with a down 45.

Second, how is figure 9 flown? Is it one full roll during the first 90
degree on the 180 degree circle followed by a half roll on the last 90
degree of the turn? Or shall the rolls be divided different on the
circle?

First 90 degrees of turn inside roll, inverted to inverted, followed by
an outside roll to upright during the second 90 degrees of the 180
degree turn.

If there is a better place to ask such questions please let me know....

Subscribe to the exploder.
Not all ISP's will allow access to it.
I have Roadrunner, it will not allow access.
Old August 6th 06, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Michael Nyrup

Hi John,
Thanks for your fast answer!

Thanks for the link. I have searched the rulebook but I can't find
information on how such figures should be interpered. I also found the CIVA
rulebook. I think it is a little more detailed when it comes to descriptions
of valid line length etc....

I believe this is a 7/8 loop with a down 45.

Ohh ofcourse... that makes more sense. It has nothing to do with heading
change, I don't know why I interpered it like that....

First 90 degrees of turn inside roll, inverted to inverted, followed by
an outside roll to upright during the second 90 degrees of the 180
degree turn.

Okay... just to be sure... the rollrate in the first 90 degree of the turn
(the inside inverted to inverted roll) will be twice as fast, as the last
(outside) ˝ roll? I mean the figure only needs ˝ a roll to return to upright
and that has to be devided on the last 90 degree of the turn right?
I thought I had to think of it as a 1˝ roll divided on a 180 degree turn -
that would be hard do right.

I hope my decriptions are understandable - english is not my native language
:-)

Subscribe to the exploder.

I'll try that...

Thanks again!

/Aero

Old August 7th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
john smith

In article ,
"Michael Nyrup" aerosign-remove wrote:

Hi John,
Thanks for your fast answer!

Thanks for the link. I have searched the rulebook but I can't find
information on how such figures should be interpered. I also found the CIVA
rulebook. I think it is a little more detailed when it comes to descriptions
of valid line length etc....

I couldn't remember the name CIVA when I responded.
They are the keepers of the Aresti catalog which explains each family of
maneuvers.

http://www.arestisystem.com/english/catalogue/

First 90 degrees of turn inside roll, inverted to inverted, followed by
an outside roll to upright during the second 90 degrees of the 180
degree turn.

Okay... just to be sure... the rollrate in the first 90 degree of the turn
(the inside inverted to inverted roll) will be twice as fast, as the last
(outside) ˝ roll? I mean the figure only needs ˝ a roll to return to upright
and that has to be devided on the last 90 degree of the turn right?
I thought I had to think of it as a 1˝ roll divided on a 180 degree turn -
that would be hard do right.

Above is correct

I hope my decriptions are understandable - english is not my native language
:-)

This why we use pictures (drawings). Universal language.
Old August 7th 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Markus Feyerabend

Hi Michael,

Figure 6 was already explained, but for the rolling circle rules are
different!

You have to fly one and a half rolls (1.5) while doing a 180° change of
direction. Because any change in your yaw or rollrate while executing the
rolling circle will mean a deduction of points, the rules are as follows:
For each half roll, you have to make a change aof direction of 60° degrees.
1.5 rolls = 3x60° = 180°

So your inital thoughts where right! Thats how it is flown, judged and
scored.

I won´t have access to the list in the next two weeks, so please contact me
via email if you want to have more details.

Have fun,
Markus

Old August 7th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Guenther Eichhorn

Hi,

The answer to figure 9 is incorrect. The roll rate needs to be the same
throughout. The figure is 1/2 of a 3-roll 360 degree turn. The first
full roll is done in 120 degrees of turn, the 1/2 roll is done in 60
degrees of turn.

Guenther
Guenther Eichhorn |
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory, Cambridge, MA
CPL,ASMELS,Glider,LBH,IA,CFI | Pitts S-2A: N1GE
DC-3 type rating | Flying is the Pitts
See:
http://gei.aerobatics.ws

john smith wrote:
[...]

Anti-spam email address in header:
To reply, remove the string 'abc' from the username
Old August 8th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Michael Nyrup

Markus and Guenther,
Thanks for the clarification, it helped a lot. Actually with your
explanation I see that it is written in the rulebook....

I have an additional question regarding sides. For instance figure 9 in the
sequence. I understand that I have to roll right (on the vertical) to get
back on track... but which side am I supposed to rotate towards in the stall
turn?

Best regards
Michael Nyrup

Old August 8th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Guenther Eichhorn

Hi,

You have to roll such that you exit the maneuver in the right direction.
Figure 9 can be flown in either direction, it doesn't matter, since
in either case you exit in the direction where you came from.

In figure 5, if you for instance have the wind from the right (form B),
and you are flying towards the judges (as drawn on form B), you need to
turn to the right. f you were flying away from the judges, you would
have to turn to the left.

I remember it by visualizing that I have to turn such that my head
points into the box.. That will get me flying into the box after the
hammerhead turn.

Guenther

Old August 9th 06, 08:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Michael Nyrup

Hi Guenther,
I am sorry, I wrote figure 9... I was thinking number 5.... I understand
that according to form B I need to turn right on the vertical up. But the
Hammerhead-turn afterwards... is that a right or a left foot rotation?

Thanks for your time.

Michael

Old August 9th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
john smith

I am sorry, I wrote figure 9... I was thinking number 5.... I understand
that according to form B I need to turn right on the vertical up. But the
Hammerhead-turn afterwards... is that a right or a left foot rotation?

Hammerheads can be either direction... pilot's choice.
Of course, engine torque/p-factor may have something to do with it most
pilots hammering left. :-))