Russia 5M tire and tube?

Old March 13th 18, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Default Russia 5M tire and tube?

Where can we get tube and tire for a Russia?

Boggs
Old March 13th 18, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 2:21:17 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Where can we get tube and tire for a Russia?

Boggs

Paul Manafort.

Couldn't resist.
Old March 13th 18, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 2:21:17 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Where can we get tube and tire for a Russia?

Boggs

Check out the Russia Sailplanes Yahoo Group. (Albeit I havn't gone there in a while since Yahoo Groups has become a rather painful environment.) When I needed to replace the tire on my Russia I was told there to use the same tire that goes on a 1-26. The width of that tire at the hub hole seemed way too narrow for the (metal) hub on my (prototype) Russia AC4a, but after inflation it worked out. For a tube, after some misadventures with smaller ones, I went for a larger one (I'd have to look up the size code at home), since it gets stretched so far near the hub. Also, for my hub at least, I needed a tube with an angle stem, PLUS a stem extender. Warning: check your tire pressure (with a gauge) every couple of months, since it can get low but still look OK. With sub-optimal pressure, hard braking can result in enough rotation between the tire and hub to shear the stem of the tube.
Old March 14th 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If the tire on the 5m is the same as the 4c, then you can you use a 126 tire and tube from desser. The original tire is hard as a rock with zero pressure.
Old March 14th 18, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

... The original tire is hard as a rock with zero pressure.

- exactly, the original tire feels hard even with zero pressure, that's why I learned to check it with a pressure gauge every couple of months. Despite the hassle, as (on the AC4a) I need to remove the wheel fairing, and add a valve extender, just to use the gauge. But the alternative is a ruined tube, or worse.